Why do people prefer the old ugly models instead of SOGA?

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Sakura, Dec 19, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Sakura Guest

2. ARCHIVED-Irras Guest

I'm going to say this bluntly, but I mean no offense. I'm sorry your character is ugly. Mine is not.
    Half Elf male. I can chose normal models, or a guy with golf balls in his cheeks.
    It doesn't matter what others like, play it your way.
  3. ARCHIVED-LordFyre Guest

Sakura wrote:
    Here is a couple thoughts:
    • Legs. The SOGA Models have something off on the body proportions. This shows up most strongly on the legs of female characters.
    • Faces. For their problems, the original models still have more detail (and character) in their faces.
    • Anime. The SOGA modles look a little too much like Japanese Animation characters for some player's tastes.
  4. ARCHIVED-Warpax Guest

i cant stand the original models and use all SOGA models. The original models look lumpy and the skin tone/textures are bad. The eyes are messed up most of the time one eyes looking one way and the other and different. The original Models hair looks ok however the coloring options for the original models are terrible. Most of the time the main color and highlight color dont blend well at all.
    These are my opinions
  5. ARCHIVED-Wilde_Night Guest

I am with Irras and Lord Fyre. The only SOGA models I will use are Ogres, because a friend of mine plays a female ogre and wants to be seen in her "Klingon sexiness."
    I've tried using the Asian market models... I just can't handle them. They make me sad. My girls legs and arms are too small, faces are too cartoony, hair is not as cool, eye color less defined, cool streaky highlights non-existant, their tattoos and woads are laughable. The original models look more realistic to me. The SOGA models are too "pretty and perfect". I wish SOE had a weight slider option for the character creation, so not every adventurer was in tip-top condition.
  6. ARCHIVED-Avashnea Guest

I only use the SOGA for the males. The original male models are awful. (still can't figure out why the male DE wears white lipstick though!)
    The female SOGA ones are UGLY. The necks are all too thin and not aligned right on their spines. They also seem to have some spinal deformity that forces them to arch those spines all the time and stick their chests out as far as they'll go.
    I personally think the OP's 'ugly' model is FAR better looking!
  7. ARCHIVED-TaleraRis Guest

Because SOGA halflings have soulless eyes and the rest I find ugly

Thank Karana I'm a frog.
  8. ARCHIVED-Krlyn Guest

I actually despise the SOGA models and have them all turned off.

The original ones are 100x better

My female dark elf shadowKnight looks great in the non-soga mode and looks like a teenage boy in the Soga mode
  9. ARCHIVED-LordFyre Guest

Myriam@Crushbone wrote:
    But I can see where Sakura is coming from too.
    There is something wrong with the High Elf's eyes in the original models. The hair just looks strange too.
    Both models are flawed. Hopefully if SOE ever does follow through on their new skeletons, they will fix the problems and combine the strengths of both model sets.
  10. ARCHIVED-quasigenx Guest

Can we put this up on the list of things never to discuss again? You know, along with:

• Are tomatoes a fruit?
    • Does Champagne have to come from France?

Cripes. They are totally different artistic styles. One is not better than the other. It's personal preference. End of story.
  11. ARCHIVED-Wildmage Guest

the soga look like barbie dolls the Normal models for the most part look realistic to me. Not to mention the armor and weapons generally don't look as good on them and the hands are deformed on most small races.
  12. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Stop comparing SOGA models to Japanese anime. They look NOTHING ALIKE! The SOGA models are Korean, not Japanese. HUGE difference. If they were japanese, the SOGA models would have large saucer-like eyes that take up about 1/5th of the character's face.
    Anyways.
    Human females:
    Original models:
    1. Taller than SOGA
    2. Size Double D bust (and from my observations, the largest of all the races for thier respective size. Sure, Barbarians are pretty big, but if they were human size, they'd be smaller than Humans.)
    3. Appropriately sized legs.
    4. Better animations.
    5. Better facial customization.

SOGA model:
    1. Smaller in size to the original model
    2. Small bust size (hey, some women might enjoy this. I'm not one to judge, but what little sex appeal this game has, these models dont help.)
    3. Armor is warped. (Take a look at any Rice hat on a monk. Normal models will show up round. SOGA models will be warped and elongated.)
    4. Skinny legs
    5. Awkward animations because of #4.
    6. Less facial customization. I'll give that they have some better looking hairstyles, but thats not enough to make up for the lack of facial customization.

Now this is just my opinion. I may be a little biased, and maybe even a little sexist. I don't know. I'm just voicing my opinion. The skeletal revamp should hopefully clear some issues up with the models. it won't improve thier looks too much, but it will make the original models look better by far.
  13. ARCHIVED-Lasai Guest

Ask 20 people who play human female characters, you might get a different result.
    To each his own, I can live with the Elves in original, splotchy skin tones, jaundiced yellow eyes, Mr Potatohead ears and terribly styled sculpy clay hair.
    However, I'll delete my Human girls before I will use the original models for them. Just the sallow, stupid expression and eyes are enough for me to never use them.
    It is funny, I experience more clipping issues with my gear and armor on the originals. While my elves have better legs in a gown, thier shoulders and rear ends are constantly clipping through, something I don't quite understand, as the gown was designed for that model.
  14. ARCHIVED-MW2K2 Guest

Do most people use the alternate models?

My answer is in there. And if my stupid keyset hadn't scrolled over to a different one, screwing up my screenshot taking, I would have posted the comparison pics already!
  15. ARCHIVED-Wyrmypops Guest

I can't stand the alternate/soga models either. And don't consider the old/original models to look ugly at all.
    Aside from the previously mentioned problem the amateurish soga team exhibit in their animations and body proportions, the faces and hair are of a style I find jarring. It doesn't fit the rest of the setting. It's more like a saturday morning cartoon, the shading creeps me out.
    And the sliders bars don't change much of anything when slid about during generation, so they all tend to look the same. That same look, tends to be off a teenager, one that has a lot of hair gel, and desperately wants to join a neo-punk pop band. Nice, if that's what you want - less nice if you want, say, anything else at all.
    All only my opinion of course. Subjective rather than absolute. Except for the bits about the soga models amateurish attempt and animations and bodily proportions (silicone breasts and anorexic or alcoholic legs) and slider bars not changing the appearance.
  16. ARCHIVED-Rethaneu Guest

quasigenx wrote:
    Since neither of these things are opinion, I don't think they're similar at all!

Anyway, I don't use SOGA because if I wanted to play Final Fantasy XI, I'd go and play it. My halfling should look like a man from dorset, not like a 13 year old who stole daddy's armour. The only SOGA model I use is the male dark elf, because the beards don't fit on their faces properly with the old models.
    Well, and female humans because one of my guildmates has a female human that is so horrendously ugly in old models I can't stand to group with him otherwise.
  17. ARCHIVED-Serus Guest

Have to agree with the majority, the old models fit best. They could be a lot better, but at least they don't stick out like a sore thumb. The ogres, barbarians, halflings, gnomes, and dwarves are the worst of all for SOGA in my opinion. Completely ruins the character of those races. I play on the JP server and everyone on there uses the old models as well.
  18. ARCHIVED-MW2K2 Guest

Here we go, the long awaited (or prolly not) comparison screenies!

This is my Swashy, Snowdonia. These were taken at the exact same camera angle and distance. Notice how much smaller she is in SOGA models? Notice how THIN (does she even have a waist?)?!
    [IMG]

Now a close up look of their waists profile. Please take note of the shoulder connection where you see the edge of the chest armor. There is a millimeter of "overhang" on the original models while on the SOGA models there is a full inch or two! Original models, stand up straight and erect. SOGA, back is arched at an impossibly uncomfortable angle with the breasts thrust out.
    [IMG]

Now the head.. While the original model has a well proportioned head and face, the SOGA models are squashed faced. While the original models cranium is in line with the spine, the SOGA models are so disfigured they remind me of the head binding some ancient Indian tribes use to utilize for their elite classes. In other words, they look like alien heads.
    [IMG]

And as stated in my post in the other thread, the only redeeming quality for ME for this race are the ears. I LOVE those really long elven ears. If my Snow on the left could have Snow on the right's ears. *droool*

IMO, the original model Snowdonia also just looks and feels more "real" and I like that. I hate cartoony stuff like what WoW utilize.
  19. ARCHIVED-Maroger Guest

Kiley@Sebilis wrote:
    I only use the Soga model on my dark elf because I mostly prefer the hair styles on the Soga model - I don't like the fancy hair styles on the regular models for Dark Elf Males.
    I prefer the long straight hair and I can't seem to get that with the regular model and I hate those hairdos on the males.
  20. ARCHIVED-Sasandra Guest

Personaly I despise the default models, they look so horible and were a good part of why I quit the game the first time, cause no matter what I did I coundn't make a characted even close to sometime I actualy liked, this is my character in default and SOGA, I tried to set the default model to match the SOGA, but I still can't stand it and I especialy hate the shape of her ears on the default ones, plus she has no belly button with the default one.
    [IMG]