Why do Monks always get Ignored and continue to WAIT?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Deranged, Apr 27, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-scalzo Guest

IMO I would love to see some Brawlers being used as MT's. They are fighters!
  2. ARCHIVED-Craaq Guest

Just got back to EQ2. I last played when it was first released in 2004 and left in 2005. So after a four year hiatus, it's kinda funny that the exact same issues that plagued the monk class are still here : "Am I a tank?", "Am I DPS?", "Am I neither?" and have not really been resolved. . . I'm guessing that if the issues have not been addressed in this game so far, that they never really will be, the monk class is what it is, play it or not (sounds like more not though which is sad).
    For myself, I like playing the monk for the role playing aspect and lore (o.g. monk from EQ1, yes I camped Raster for Guk for epic for months too like everyone else). After 10 year's of MMO'ing I've learned that I'm not really into maxing out gear/dps meters/racing to the top of the level/AAs before anyone else, that road leads to burn out and account cancelling/MMO hopping.
  3. ARCHIVED-Lorrn Guest

yep pretty much same issues we've had since day 1 man. well I guess not day 1 we did have that brief time of absolute untouchableness with a troubador in the group in the first 2 months of the game heh. Meh I guess we did ok until the first combat revamp, since then yep same problems. as far as a vast majority of the group content yeah we can tank it just liek we always could is jsut a little tougher on the healers compared to the other tanks. its that un-attainable solid raid MT capable-ness we are still missing after teh four years you been gone. Can it be done sure, but only AFTER top end gear is attained. thats what soe doesnt quite grasp the concept of. if a tank has ot have the cream of the crop gear avatar/top end raids to be able to tank the opening raid content of an expansion theres a serious problem.
    It does seem now after years of blowing us off that they finally recognize or are willing ot admit theres problems, the real question though is what are they gonna do about it. im hoping that they do something similar to the beef the sk got, but i hope to god they dont go overboard liek they did with SK. but of course theres also that chance that we lose all our tanking ability get evac and a second group buff and bam turn us into scouts. anyway I hope to god they go the tank route.
    just as it was back in teh day most monks choose their path and stick with it. they either go all out dps or all out tank. being able to pull off a hybrid build and be successful with it is increasingly more difficult until the very late end game gear is attained. and even with all the gear in the world in tso all that cool avoidance stuff doesnt mean crap vs a lot of mobs cause the devs thought it was a good idea to give mobs an ability to ignore our primary means of defense outright.
    Devs need to be more creative, cause half the crap they put in these encounters these days is jsut tedious excersizes of can the group listen long enough to kill it.
  4. ARCHIVED-fre'do Guest

The problem deranded is i wont see it...because it is a fine class. We are just perfect well except we cannot fireballs. If they give us that then we are very perfect. That is like what yall are askin for. We have the most complete class yet yall want more.

I come here to this forums to have a good laugh. So thank you for this day of joy.
  5. ARCHIVED-NamaeZero Guest

fredo wrote:
    I suspect this is an issue of a different playstyle. If you raid seriously with a Monk at endgame, the issues we have with AoE aggro are completely, blindingly obvious. In Raids we lack a role because we are the worst tanks, and our DPS doesn't make up for this shortcoming. Zones are designed so as to negate any other advantage a Monk has in mobility or utility because allowing that would unbalance encounters.
    If you play a monk in non-TSO grouping or solo content, especially in the 1-79 range, Monks are awesome. The utility we have in this range more than makes up for plate tanks advantages in sheer damage absorption. It's nearly impossible to notice any AoE aggro issues because MoBs have so few HP. Additionally it takes a very well geared plate tank with a slew of AA's to beat a monk at burst aggro at this level.
  6. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

NamaeZero wrote:
    Monks can't burst agro at all, we are more sustained dps then any type of burst agro. If anything I would have to say we are the worst at burst agro out of all tank classes.
  7. ARCHIVED-Lorrn Guest

fredo wrote:
    If the predators dont do there best attacks quickly, if the warlocks dont do go over board...we can do stuff...but most people just go all out and wonder why they die and we cannot keep agro.

That sentence right there is exactly what im talking about.

we all know all the different things we can do but your sentence right there is a HUGE problem for our ability to tank a mob.
    It takes seconds for a t1 dps to rip agro off a monk then you gotta pop rescue or peel to get it back.. then what do you do the next time that guy casts a spell or hits a CA????
    In all honesty if you havent had that happen you have absolutely not tanked tso group content with your monk or a single t8 raid for that matter. if your dps has to hold back so you can keep agro YOU are diminishing the effectiveness of hte group or raid and have absolutely no right to be in the position your are taking up in the group. my SK does NOT lose agro PERIOD, and thats cause he has the tools available to him to keep it and get it back in a mili-second if a mem wipe goes off. the guards in my guild dont lose agro palis dont lose agro zerkers(well ok we dont have a raiding zerker atm heh) but guess what our brawlers lose agro like its their virginity on prom night. THAT is the crux of the problems with brawlers being tanks. sure you can heal a brawler through all the bs sony keeps throwing at them but why woudl you they arent gonna keep the agro anyway unless you **** your entire raid and tell your dps not to dps.on a single target fight sure the monk can lock it down for about 30-45 seconds then guess what happens. oops pali cured himself oops ranger hit a little too hard bye bye agro whoops wizard is dps'ing liek they are supposed to and now you have a dead ranger and a dead wizard and a pali laughing cause now the mob is his the rest of the fight and there isnt a damn thing you can do about it as a brawler.
    seriosuly it takes all of 1 skill for my sk to lock up the group content mobs in tso, my monk HAHA good luck spamming everything you got and the frikin dirge gets agro before you do.

sure we have a lot of cool and different things we can do. but guess what in end game we are not equipped to do our PRIMARY JOB which is to tank mobs. and its not cause we cant actually tank em its possible but its because we **** our group or raid by being the tank cause we cant hold agro long enough and cant hold jack for agro on an ae fight PERIOD. I dont know about you guys but Im sure as hell tired of the tab key being a staple of my CA order on my monk.
  8. ARCHIVED-NamaeZero Guest

BChizzle wrote:
    I wasn't talking about endgame. I mean when you're, for example, level 30 and you drop your two taunts while pulling. The monster almost certainly will be dead before anyone gets a chance to steal your aggro, because at that level fights don't last long enough for aggro to be an issue. Aggro isn't an issue at that stage of the game, and that's why you don't get the sense that there's a problem with Monk Aggro.
  9. ARCHIVED-Germs666 Guest

I'd like to see brawlers have a BOATLOAD of HP. They get hit harder since they have no plate/shield. But it'd be fun to heal them. They should be a viable MT.
  10. ARCHIVED-Deranged Guest

Man Brawlers do have the most hp...But it dont help at all
  11. ARCHIVED-BlueX Guest

I agree with the general (informed) sentiment that Monks are broken. Although wise AA/gear choices can help, the class still lacks group desirability. No one really wants you to tank, and when you are forced into the role (which seems often), you better be on the ball because a lot of people would rather drop group than take the time to learn to make it work. No one really wants you to dps, because most any other equivalently-geared dps class does it better. Basically, we're avoided like that aunt with a mustache that always wants a kiss.
    Yes, you can choose bad AAs/gear and be bad at any class, but monks are second rate in either group role. At least some classes can hold their own while they get the right gear, but monks can't hold their own until they get the right gear, in my experience.
    I honestly haven't had a lot of experience with TSO, as I just returned to EQ2, and I left before TSO launched. But those are at least my impressions so far and from my past RoK experiences. I used to tank instances quite a bit in RoK, because there was no one else to do it but me.
    Devs, please fix the Monk class. Personally, I'd like being DPS, but I'd rather be anything (even a tank) than Aunt Betty.
    X