Why do I have to sign into forums everytime now?

Discussion in 'EQ2Players.com Website Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Cloudrat, Jan 14, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Lantis Guest

feldon30 wrote:
    Whoever programmed these forums never heard of the notion of "user input sanitizing". Something a beginner PHP programmer knows about (addslashes() whenever writing any application that involves user input and/or a database )
    THAT is a more serious security hole than having a persistent login IMHO. Let's see: unfiltered HTML, IFRAME ...
  2. ARCHIVED-Whilhelmina Guest

What is highly annoying is the fact that Firefox doesn't want to remember the login/password anymore which is a real pain as I have, each time, to type login + password + authentificator code. It's unbearable.
  3. ARCHIVED-GrunEQ Guest

I keep getting an error message now, and the only way I get in is the hit "go back to previous page" after I login and I get the forums with me logged-in. Strange.
  4. ARCHIVED-Eileah Guest

What is really annoying is that while we can't stay logged into the forums we cant' log OUT of our account info section.
    I was trying to resub and when I would click on the logout link to switch accounts it would keep me logged in no matter what.
    I finally had to just use a different browser to log in with another account to resub and that one won't log out either.
    I spoke to CS about this issue and they said they know but it's part of their new security....
    How is being unable to ever log out of account info a secure situation?
    They go overboard with the forums and are careless with the important sections, makes me wonder what is on the same servers as these forums that they are doing so much BS to protect from hacking.
    In the end though it IS less work for the community people since they don't have to deal with as many people because it's such a hassle to post here to participate now.
  5. ARCHIVED-Moria15 Guest

What I find ludicrous in all this, and I don't know whether this happens for others....
    I have to log in to see which forums etc have been updated and get messages.. BUT.. if I don't log in and go to a thread where I have one of my posts, it shows me as online, so even though I am not logged in and therefore not allowed to look at me messages etc, the system still recogises me as being online...
    How daft is that?
  6. ARCHIVED-Kasar Guest

Lantis@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    These forums might be acceptable for a 13 year old running a server at home, but for supposed professional software developers they should be an embarrassment. Obviously they are not since little ever changes.
    Sure, they're relaunching eq2players soon, but it would be naive to expect it to be any more robust than the interface it replaces.
  7. ARCHIVED-sorinev Guest

Whilhelmina@Storms wrote:
    This behavior annoyed me at enough sites in the recent past that I googled around as to why it happens. Apparently sites can have a "do not remember" type of flag on a password field, so that the browser won't ask to remember. Luckily, with Firefox being open, it came down to deleting about 3 lines in a function dedicated to doing this, located in a plain-text file. Now I don't have that problem anywhere, including here.
    Although, just in case, you could always make sure the site isn't in your "remembered passwords" exceptions list. But I think it's probably the first case and not this latter one.
  8. ARCHIVED-Kasar Guest

Whilhelmina@Storms wrote:
    Saved Password Editor is an add-on for Firefox that will let you edit Firefox's password table and force it to remember logins where it normally wouldn't. That won't help with the authenticator of course.
  9. ARCHIVED-Lantis Guest

I had the same problem with both Firefox and Chrome (which I am now using). I ended up switching to Lastpass, which seems to work much better with password fields.
  10. ARCHIVED-UnseenTC Guest

I wonder how this has any good effects at all on account security. The account info is still in the database, making you put it in every time you log in doesn't make it any easier to get to, and as Feldon pointed out, no other forums do this and it makes you more susceptible to keyloggers. The only thing I can see is it stops people from using your computer and being logged in as you, in which case you turn off the auto-login if someone else uses your computer. Unless SOE has some ridiculous and convoluted process to keep you logged in (which I wouldn't be surprised if they did), how does this help in any way?
  11. ARCHIVED-Starbuck17712 Guest

Debbani@Unrest_old wrote:
    wrong. They are working on EQ2 players thats what todays webcast was about.
  12. ARCHIVED-NEROLATHE Guest

Starbuck17712 wrote:
    You realize that post is nearly a year old, right? Well, anyways..I wish at least they would enable autocomplete at least, chrome won't offer to save the passwords with it set to off. Really annoying to have to re-key my info each time. I could understand auto-logging out, but not allowing it to save to our computers?
  13. ARCHIVED-Maroger Guest

Nerolathe@Butcherblock wrote:
    Get LASTPASS it will log you in automatically