Why do Gi's lack so much?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Kaleyen, Dec 16, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Cwiyk Guest

I agree that the stats on treasured gi's should be improved however in order to fit into the tier of quality that EQ2 uses they will need to remain below Handcrafted tunics in terms of stats.

I also agree that it would be nice if there was a crafted gi for each level tier, but that it should not use the Gi of the Ashen Disciple appearance. I would say they should use the gi graphic that is already used for the Blooddrenched Gi, Gi of the Disciple, Gi of Madness etc for the crafted gi, except that it doesn't really dye well since its base color is brown and people would complain about getting the same brown gi at every tier. Perhaps Sony could actually hire an extra hand or two for the Art Department and create a new graphic for a crafted gi... but thats just crazy talk.

What I'd really like to see is a monk AQ at every level tier from 20 to 60 that rewards the monk a dyed AQ gi of a different color every tier. I'd also like to see the gi of each suit being made Legendary rather than Treasured (with stats at least equal to rare crafted tunics and perhaps slightly better), so monks would still want to get the rest of their armor upgraded to rare crafted except the tunic. As a matter of fact, I think this idea would be nice for every subclass in the game. In order to warrant giving players a Legendary item for doing a quest, the last quest of each AQ series could require the defeat a "great threat" for that level tier; something that the quest givers for each class view as a potential threat to their city and ask the character to team up with a group of their fellow adventurers to defeat. Hell, while I'm imagining, they could even go so far as to create an instance version of one of the dungeons of each tier for the characters to have to fight through in order to defeat the "potential threat." I think players would feel a much larger sense of satisfaction with their armor after doing that than simply being told to go out and defeat X number of mobs repeatedly. However, I don't think they should go back and do this right now; I think they really need to concentrate their man-hours on creating enough end-game content to keep people playing once they reach the level cap.
    Message Edited by Cwiyk on 12-17-2005 09:03 AM
  2. ARCHIVED-Bladewind Guest

I agree Brice, that would be nice. I proposed the one crafted gi each tier using one of the existing graphic sets (I could care less which) as a quick fix that would take minimal resources - ie copy the existing rare tunic and change the skin on it for each tier and then add the recipe into each tier of advanced tailor books alongside the rare tunic - viola, no more druid clones running around. If there are still two other gi appearances that are never used for crafted, people will still get all of the wow factor and just deserts of going out and getting a fabled gi since it will still have a unique appearance as well. This will keep 'uber rare' gi models in game while letting us look like monks.
    I agree with Jargoon that keeping all gis so rare that most monks never own a usable one aside from their AQ gi is silly. If the AQ model is used, the current Elddar Grove and Fabled models will remain exactly as rare as they are now, and thus not be cheapened in any way.
  3. ARCHIVED-Owain Guest

4. ARCHIVED-Owain Guest

By the way, the plural of Gi is Gis - no apostrophe. I know it looks funny but that's the English language for you.
  5. ARCHIVED-bluefish Guest

My goodness you are so correct .. I would hate to die becuase on the raid I had 340 STR instead of 346 and my MIT is only 2200 instead of 2300 ..

OH THE HORROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. ARCHIVED-Bladewind Guest

Congratulations on missing the context entirely.
  7. ARCHIVED-Kaleyen Guest

Some very good posts in here, but the sad thing is that I doubt Sony will listen. I have been giving feedback over feedback reguarding this issue since I was level 30 (when my AQ Gi finally outgrew it's usefulness) and I had to start looking like a druid. Some key points that I agree with on the above posters.

• There should be a Gi for every tier that is equal to or slightly better then the rare crafted Gi so that we would actually want to get it instead of the tunic.
    • There needs to be more Gi models...PERIOD!
    • Gis should have the appropriate stats for the level and the difficultly
  8. ARCHIVED-x0rtrunks Guest

I think we need to remember that this isn't just about Gis specifically, but rather the general lack of unique class specific armor and itemization. All classes need the same treatment. We're uniquely lucky in that we even HAVE Gis in the first place. We are lucky in that regards, but it also gives the monk community a responsibility to demand the same treatment for all classes.

The fact that there ARE Gis in game proves that they CAN do it. Now we just have to make them. :smileytongue:
  9. ARCHIVED-Kaleyen Guest

Exactly, a few posts over on the art forum about this total disreguard for anything that is unique and special with armor.
  10. ARCHIVED-Kichigai Daidoji Guest

right you are. i agree w/ this gi or no gi a monk should not be running around looking exactly like a fury. this is a longshot so stay w/ me but what about different appearances based on class? for example its already assumed that an ogre buying a pristine augmented tunic is buying a different sized one as opposed to a gnome right? so why wouldnt a monk for example buy a slightly looser one for moving around better? or one w/ a different pattern? just a thought doubt it would ever be implemented.
    as for the gi patterns...... i agree the ashen gi patterns shouldnt be widely used because they are the best looking and rare. i mean whats next they going to put a dojo in the eldar woods w/ a whole bunch of monks wearing this uber rare gi? please get off the uber horses, every NPC monk wears this same exact costume, your not rare or special your just a monk. i for one hope they re-use this graphic on something that i might actually be able to attain, because i like the look it says monk more than the sassy sailor chippendale collar wcw championship belt outfit.
  11. ARCHIVED-x0rtrunks Guest

I don't mind the leather gear. I think the T5 rare is pretty nice looking. And it fits with what you'd expect a tank to wear. something a bit heavy and padded. I can live with that.

But how bout instead of having Gis replace the tunic or have it merely as a graphical option with identical stats, how bout make it very light armor like a robe, but give it +deflection or something to reflect the increased ease of motion. Mitigation would naturally be a bit lower, but the deflection increase to our avoidance would hopefully make up for it.

What I would like to see is Gi quests given at the dojo in eldar grove, similar to the head band/sash quests from eq1. They could use the poofy pants graphic and just change colour to match the ranks. That's what monks would be wearing anyway. The crafted tunics would still be in game if you wanted or needed more mit, or simply prefered the graphic. They could be treasured with decent stats, leaving the more rare Gis as they are. This way monks can look like monks, and uber monks can look like uber monks, and druids can look like whatever it is they wanna look like.
  12. ARCHIVED-Ghaleon Guest

They should add minor haste to gis to balance them out with the stats/imbuing on the crafted armor =P
  13. ARCHIVED-x0rtrunks Guest

That'd be awesome. A small short duration over-cap haste proc. For the high end stuff you could have, say 30 seconds of 25% haste that would go above the 100% limit.
  14. ARCHIVED-Apelord Guest

If they were really forward thinking and wanted to do Monk's right you'd have tattoo's for graphics. Big dragon tattoo on your back gives str & heat resist, bird one more agility, etc.
    As an alternate armor path go down the Samurai road, less agility but more mitigation.
  15. ARCHIVED-Owain Guest

Can I just say this thread has had me giggling like a girl? Nice to read posts with a point and a sense of humour. Thank you Bladewind, Xortrunks, et al.

By the way, lose the apostrophe on tattoos.
  16. ARCHIVED-lagerone Guest

We need more desirable Gi's in the game, other than the Gi of the Dark Grape in Ahket Aken. Yes, you can wear Rujarkian or Ashen, but they are Treasured, and that gives me a rash [insert micro violin]. I would like to see another 2 Gi's dropping in the game Fabled or Legendary. Maybe one in an instance and one in a raid zone. Fortunately we still do SOTL for kicks, so there's a chance on a T5 Fabled.
  17. ARCHIVED-Gaige Guest

I would hate to see a fabled gi in an instance.
  18. ARCHIVED-Colossaltitan Guest

/agree, ...with one thing atleast.

a fabled gi in an instance would just be another knockoff, with the same look as the rujarkian, v2 aq gear.

And the stats...well...um...yeah : /.
  19. ARCHIVED-lagerone Guest

Actually I was thinking Legendary in an instance and another Fabled in a raid zone. But frankly the whole Legendary/Fabled thing is so FUBAR at the moment I couldn't really care.

In fact, I am not aware of any Legendary or Fabled chest (Gi or otherwise) that drops for brawlers other than the Grape Gi in Ahket Aken.

Personaly, I think the fact that decent quality stuff drops in zones other than raid zones to be the single most significant step forward in the game's development. The best stuff should always come from the raid zones, but having some nice stuff dropping in Scornfeather Roost, Ancients Table, Cazels Meza, and Poets Palace keeps me busy when we are not raiding. Those zones take up around 60% of my play time.

More zones like these are absolutely essential in the future, and more valuable in gameplay experience than raid content IMHO. They have returned the critical importance of the concept of the "group" to the game which was looking terminally sick in the post-Harclavian Norrath. By itemising these zones appropriately we now have entertaining an rewarding group content which was previously lacking. As a result most people I play with are enjoying the game much more than previously (pre-DOF).
  20. ARCHIVED-NamaeZero Guest

Personally, I'd like to see all subclasses periodically get special quests for armor that only that subclass could wear, and had a unique look. Like the AQ is now, but every 10 levels, for example.

In order that it doesn't compete with tradeskillers, the final reward should be tradable, and have normal Treasured stats. It should also be a component in a rare recipe that allows you to get the same appearance but with Legendary stats. There could even be a way to upgrade to a Fabled chest piece at certain levels, but it would require a drop from normal Fabled dropping raid encounters. The Fabled for a level could use the more unique textures.

This would be easy to do with Monks. At certain levels, they could seek out Masters to teach them more of the deeper mysteries of Martial Arts, and the reward for learning is a colored Gi. But every class should have an opportunity, as well. Necromancers could get their quests from books written by great Necromancers of the past. Paladins and Templars could go to churches and recieve divine guidance on their quests, etc. Other than getting the artwork organized, and writing the quests themselves, this would not be tough to do.

I think EQ2 needs this because there's a real lack of identity between classes. Plate tank classes look and feel the same, except for a few key abilities. Ditto for Mages and Scouts. Having a quest line unique to your class, and a look unique to your class would really push EQ2 in the right direction, I feel.