Why critical chance is better then +dmg

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-johnec, Jun 1, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-johnec Guest

Someone recently told me that gear that adds +spell damage will max out. What I didn't find out is what number is maxes out at. Can someone please tell me at what point I should look for +crit vs +damage? Thanks.
  2. ARCHIVED-Mewse Guest

For a necro I was told +700 spell dmg and 40% crit unmodified by bards buffs, etc.
  3. ARCHIVED-Inggy Guest

The Topic Title doesn't seem to match the post.
    BoE or Spell damage maxes at 50% of orginal spell's damage ie, a 500 dmg spell maxes out with +250 spell damage, resulting in 750 damage spell.
    In the case of DoT's the modification is only on the first tick of the DoT. Lifetaps are split 50/50, damage/heal. AE DoT's are split by three.
    Crit does not "max" out but realisticly 0% to 100% is just a percentage of chance to crit. Even if you had 100% crit you will not crit on every spell cast. Keep in mind regardless of how much spell damage/crit gear your pet does not receive any of the benefit.
    All this has been covered before.
    Typical target(s) for a Necro is to obtain the maximum crit percentage but maintain +600-700 spell damage without loosing crits.
    Once you obtain at least 500 spell damage mod you will find adding additional crit will increase your DPS over adding more spell damage.
    Personally I run 620-700ish spell mod and 67-69% crit before any Group/Temp crit buffs. This is just with quested, instance, T1/T2 gear. Just have to pick and choose your gear from what is available with certian target-mods in mind.
    Hope this helps
  4. ARCHIVED-johnec Guest

Oyce@Kithicor wrote: