Why cant berserkers be a pure dps class?

Discussion in 'Berserker' started by ARCHIVED-MrDizzi, Jul 15, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Ralluwen Guest

I find contradiction in your post infernus, on one hand you berate me for thinking of a fighter as anything but a tank, but then say you would normally consider a scout as something other then dps. I agree, a scout is someone you would expect to sneak around and find things out, i.e. scout, which to some extent they do, but moreso they fight offensively. Just has you must agree that one would expect a fighter to be someone who would do battle, swing weapons, hurt the enemy, defend themselves and others, i.e. fight and to some extent fighters do all this, but moreso they just defend themselves.

Anyways, the part I wanted to address was your assertion that I refuse to tank, which is wrong, I have done everything to equip myself as a decent tank including having almost full ebon armor (i am lacking about 25 mit because of the two missing ebon pieces), an ebon assualt axe and a fabled shield, 12sta hex dolls, adept 3 taunts, etc. I off-tanked for my guild last night against an epic instance. My point being, I never said I refuse to tank, I say I don't like too. That said my guild has many willing, able and better geared tanks then me and frankly is not lacking for tanks, but is lacking for dps.

To answer how I got to 50, i quested and solo'd as I really don't enjoy the forced/repetitive pace of grouping.

That I fear to tank may be true, but I don't fear letting my character die, more I feel zerkers were ment to be 2nd rate tanks and 2nd rate dps (which they currently are) rather then 1st rate tanks and 3rd rate dps or 1st rate dps and 3rd rate tanks. But becase we are soon to be tanks and this is not what I want, I don't feel I will make a good tank.

I realize zerkers are no longer intended to be dps, they are tanks, thus my decision to reroll now, rather then be disappointed when the changes roll out and useless to my guild.
  2. ARCHIVED-infernus006 Guest

"you berate me for thinking of a fighter as anything but a tank"

I never said we are nothing but tanks. I went over this before on another thread...guardians are the only tanking class in this game that are really nothing but tanks. The rest of us are at least a little more than that and suffer a slightly reduced amount of defensive capabilities (compared to that of a guard) in exchange for some extra abilities that they don't have. That's how I see it.

"one would expect a fighter to be someone who would do battle, swing weapons, hurt the enemy, defend themselves and others, i.e. fight and to some extent fighters do all this, but moreso they just defend themselves."

I disagree. I feel that currently zerkers do all of that moreso than they just defend themselves. Keep in mind that tanking, especially for a zerker, is not so much about defending yourself but using your abilities to defend others. Zerkers just do it more offensively than guardians atm. Personally, I would like it to stay that way.

"I never said I refuse to tank, I say I don't like too."

Well, I'm sorry, but that's a lie. You said, and I quote, "I personally can't accept the role of tank..." So there you have it.

"I realize zerkers are no longer intended to be dps, they are tanks, thus my decision to reroll now..."

Good decision considering your aversion to tanking, however the point being that zerkers were never intended to be a pure dps class to begin with...so I question those who even roll a zerker in the first place with that kind of attitude.

"...rather then be disappointed when the changes roll out and useless to my guild."

Zerkers are not nor ever will be useless in a guild. If that ever becomes true and they refuse to fix it then I will quit the game. Because I for one do not feel like rerolling another char. Personally, I'm hoping for the best with this new revamp and trying to be more optimistic about it than I have been previously. Let's at least give it a chance, I say.
    Message Edited by infernus006 on 08-18-2005 01:33 PM
  3. ARCHIVED-Ralluwen Guest

You are taking what I say out of context:

You did not read the rest of that sentence: "I cannot accept the roll of tank without hating every moment of it." This means I will accept doing it, but I dislike doing it, not that I wouldn't accept doing it at all.

EDIT: I realize I did indead earlier say "I personally can't accept the role of tank...", but the response you attacked was not to that quote. In saying "I personally can't accept the role of tank..." I ment to imply that I am currently not a locked down tank, i can be dps as well, thus I can accept many roles, one of which makes playing a zerker enjoyable for me. But post-changes it would seem that I will have to accept the role of tank, a role I do not like to play thus I cannot accept playing as a zerker anymore. If I had intended to imply that I refuse to tank I would have said, "Ipersonally don't accept the roll of a tank" I admit the tense in this sentence is confusing and I would have better stated my point had I said, "I personally can't accept the sole role of tank..." which I feel berserkers are about to become.

Again, you take a statement out of context, I said: "thus my decision to reroll now, rather then be disappointed when the changes roll out and useless to my guild."
    This means "I" will be useless to my guild as I do not want to tank and therefore am not a better tank then a better equiped berserker with fabled gear, master 1 skills and who actually wants to tank. I want to do DPS, my guild needs DPS, my guild has 10 other tanks just as good as me, most of which actually want to tank, my guild has 2-6 scouts on a raid average to 6-10 fighters. Another tank will be useless. Another dps will not.

To clarify, I mean to say was happy with my zerker when I thought it would continue as it is, I am not happy with it now due to what I see coming.

I am just trying to lay down the fact that SoE is changing zerkers into tanks. If you don't like it, you will have to accept it and change your likes or reroll; if you do like it then you have nothing to worry about.
    Message Edited by Ralluwen on 08-18-2005 11:28 AM
  4. ARCHIVED-infernus006 Guest

LOL

I was gonna say, you must be getting really confused now. Because you did in fact say that you "can't accept the roll of a tank" and that was it, plain and simple, at least in that particular sentence it was. And that is what I was referring to when I quoted that. Although it does seem like you keep wanting to contradict yourself now, which I find rather annoying.

"In saying "I personally can't accept the role of tank..." I ment to imply that I am currently not a locked down tank"

Well that's just silly because that's not what you said. Not at all. So why not just say what you mean in the first place?

"But post-changes it would seem that I will have to accept the role of tank, a role I do not like to play thus I cannot accept playing as a zerker anymore.
    "

Well, like I said before...if you had no intention of ever really tanking then you should never have created a berserker to start with. And not just because of the revamp. Surely you must realize by now that as a zerker, at least currently, a good deal of our dps comes from haste procs that go off when we get hit...therefore you must be tanking, ie getting hit, to get at least half the dps out of your zerker that it's capable of. Now if you never realized that then I would have to say that's pretty sad because after all this time you still don't know how to play your char correctly. I sincerely hope that you have better luck as a brigand for sure.

"I am just trying to lay down the fact that SoE is changing zerkers into tanks."

*Sigh*

You still don't seem to get the fact that zerkers are not getting "changed" into tanks...we always have been and always will be tanks and if you didn't know that then there is something very seriously wrong considering that you have a level 50 one (or at least claim to). IMO you just need to accept the fact that you made a bad choice to start with and the upcoming revamp has nothing at all to do with that.
    Message Edited by infernus006 on 08-18-2005 04:12 PM