Why are monks always the red-headed stepchild

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Tarmagin, Mar 1, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Tarmagin Guest

Why is it that Monks are being treated so poorly over the past couple years? The poor AA lines that we have and the constant nerfing has become so tedious that it is obvious that SOE does not want monks to remain a viable option for players. Why is that? Please SOE explain what you have against our class, or what you want our class to be.
    I am almost fully T8 mastered now and have very good to excellent gear. I have been raiding for a long time now and was always in the upper few for DPS in T6 and T7. Now I am almost always near the bottom in DPS. Most plate tanks are beating me in DPS now....that should NEVER be the case. We got a decent 80 spell in Peel...oops we better nerf that to oblivion. We got a good mythical weapon...oops better nerf the heck out of that too. Other classes have seen some amazing AA choices, and some amazing mythical weapons. Why are monks being left behind?
    Our raid tanking/mitigation issues have not been fixed or improved and yet we are getting shoved down the dps stack with every expansion and live update. MAKE UP YOUR MIND ON WHAT YOU WANT US TO BE. If you want us to be DPS tanks then give us improved dps. We should never be beaten by any other tank class in DPS, ever.
    Many caster classes can solo named yellow and orange heroics in ROK, monks can not solo any color named heroics in ROK. Scout classes are routinely more than doubling my dps. Why are you going after Monks with the nerf bat?
    I don't know who is giving you feedback that is making you think that monks are overpowered. Who ever it is is giving you bad information. Please work with the customers you have that have chosen to play a monk. Work with us to improve our class and make us a viable option. If you want to leave us behind then at least be honest enough to tell us that so we can move on.
  2. ARCHIVED-couching Guest

Brawler tanking issue will never be solved. We will never be as good as plate tanks in raids. There reason is simple, dev can't even balance 4 plate tanks in raids. They are not going to buff us and make the problem even worse.

The root problem of why they can't design raid encounters that need more than 2 or 3 tanks is because raid is limited to 24 and if you need more than 3 tanks, how many healers do you need to keep 3+ tanks up then?

Most brawlers didn't tank ANY mob in 90%-95%+ raid encounters. It's not because we can't tank epic mobs, it's because plate tanks are better. As long as there are plate tanks in the raids, there is no point to ask brawler tank. See the problem here? Even we can tank epic content, we won't have chance to tank it unless all plate tanks in raid got killed. At this time, I will just fd rather than step up since raid is already half wiped.

We, brawler, are the only tank classes that have deaggro stance. We are the only tank class that didn't have any tank line in kos tree, even rogue has tank line. See how ironic it is?

It's silly to read those trolling posts that how brawlers should stick to off tank from a guardian and brawler should stay away of (off) tanking from a zerker. LOL.

Ok, so we shouldn't tank since there are guardians for MT and 3 plate tanks for off tanks. Now, give us more dps, oh wait, another dpser jumped in and trolling that brawler should go back to tank rather than dps. LOL

Since devs can't design raid encounters that need 3+ tanks and brawler to tank, they should take responsibility of design failure, having 6 tanks in game launch, and switch brawler to dps/utilities classes in raids.
  3. ARCHIVED-Aull Guest

I think what the problem is there are to many fighters/tanks in eq2 to begin with. Six of them and if the two rogues are aa spected they can tank too. To me that is just to much to condend with and try to fix the probs that exsist with the true tanks of this game. Honestly when it comes down to it I can do alot with my bruiser (I know monks can too) where other classes have a hard time doing and I will not complain about that at all. Yeah I hate to see monks possibly being nerfed in two areas that really was a great help to them and others as well. With that being said I don't see bruisers becoming anything better for grouping content at all seeing that monks are getting this kind of treatment.
    I don't know about how monks dps is suffering since I don't play one. I can only comment on what a friend says about the monks. He loves his monk and yes he says that he feels the dps ( as a trade off) should be a bit better since monks and bruisers can't tank epic content. I feel that if that is true then bruisers are not the offensive brawler of the two because his monk does some nice dps and has some nice group buff(s) that he can offer as a monk.
    I thought of betraying some time back but since I feel that monks are really no better off than a bruiser I will just stay with the bruiser (hehe not gonna loose those two masters I just got). It just stinks as a bruiser that I am shunned most of the time for group content when monks actually offer groups more than what my bruiser can offer. I am not asking for bruisers to have monk like abilities either, but bruisers have it harder in this department than the monks.
    I really hate to read about this possible change for you monks. I felt that by seeing monks actually gaining some ground in ROK that my bruiser would start seeing some more appealing abilities coming his way as well. Anyway I am keeping the faith for as long as I can for all brawlers in general.
    Thanks
  4. ARCHIVED-shayle Guest

Yup I agree that things are getting worse and worse for monkies :( and we really only have 1 group buff, unless u want to include our placing avoidance on the MT which a lot of people don't do anyways. I've always loved monks and played 1 in EQ1. I have a few alts but my monk will always be my main, and I don't see myself playing anything else full time. Our DPS is really slacking compared to a lot of other classes, and it's pretty hard to keep up with the scouts now. Since we can't tank though we might as well be offering near scout DPS, or at least some better raid buffs. I also hate that its pretty pointless to have more then 1 monk in a raid.

Anyways if I don't see some big monk improvements soon I'll probably just play AoC or something... I don't want to since it won't have monks but theres no point in playing 1 here either if SoE is going to ruin them for us :p
    Maybe enough brawlers will do the same and SoE will wake up, but I doubt it :\
  5. ARCHIVED-Tarmagin Guest

I should have included Bruisers in the original post as I think you have been left by the side of the road as well. But, with the recent two nerfs it was just the straw that finally broke my back. I agree with the earlier posters that it is pointless to try and think we will ever be true tanks...sooooooooo....the obvious answer is to give us a BIG boost to our DPS. Our dps rank has fallen greatly since the DoF days. There is now way on earth a monk would ever get out DPS'd by a guardian or a paladin back then. It happens all the time now. That should not be. Our DPS needs a BIG boost across the board. It DOES NOT need nerfing.
  6. ARCHIVED-Writer Cal Guest

/agree with Aull
    The last few months of seeing what they've given Monks gave me hope that Bruisers might get some nice things too, so it's a real shame to see our brother/sister class get mashed back down into the mud. :(
    And I honestly don't think near-rogue dps and utility would be out of line for brawlers, considering they have the ability, with the right gear and AAs, to get fairly close to us in tanking ability. Not saying our dps/utility should fully match theirs, since we still can tank better if specced/geared for it. But with AAs the gap definitely closed a lot, and boosting our non-tanking options could open up a lot of doors.
    I don't want our classes to be gods. I don't really care if we aren't as good as other classes at certain things, even. What I want is for people to actually be able to say, "Hey, that class would be an asset." Which, honestly, is what people should be able to say about ALL classes. It should never be that certain classes are so easily turned down for groups/raids because everyone else can perform their roles better. It should always be a bit of a debate "Oh do we take X class or Y class? Tough choice! Both are useful!" Not "Take X class, they're far more useful than Y class. We'll only take Y clas if we don't have an X class available."
    And sorry, the "you guys solo better" line doesn't apply. There are many other classes that can solo just as tough of mobs or even tougher, and they also provide much more to groups and raids.
  7. ARCHIVED-Solude Guest

If you want brawlers to be primary tanks you will be disappointed. As long as our tanking is based on a random number generator, mitigation tanks are just nicer for all involved. Not even exclusive to EQ, go looks at any evade tank in any MMO and realise that bad streaks make for bad MT.
    That said, our AA is great. Go look at other AA lines some time, only a hand full are even appealing let alone powerful in any way. Others may kill things better alone than us but our tools for getting in and out alive are greater. I'm happy with my dps focused bruiser. But like all dps classes its an all or nothing build. Don't go half way and complain, every % counts.
    Could itemization be better? Yes, but sharing a armour type with another vastly different group is hardly a brawler exclusive problem.
  8. ARCHIVED-couching Guest

It's not just how avoidance tank is worse than mitigation tank. The current problem is that mitigation tanks have more mitigation AND uncontested avoidance than avoidance tanks.

It's really pointless to let brawler tank when there are plate tanks in raids. That's why most brawlers didn't tank ANY mobs in 90%-95% raid content nowadays.
  9. ARCHIVED-Wildmage Guest

Couching@Crushbone wrote:
    Avoidance and shields need a massive rehaul in their mechanics before theres any chance of fixing brawler tanking. and the concepts of contested and uncontested avoidance need a rethink as well.