Why a new server?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Dogwood, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Dogwood Member

I mean the DEV's already have a plateful of stuff to do and fix so why are resources being pulled for another server that probably will end up getting merged down the road anyways?
  2. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Money grab, people pour money into new servers in hopes that it will be better.
    Errrorr and Tkia like this.
  3. Siren Well-Known Member

If the free servers were financially viable overall, the devs would focus on fixing the live game more. Think about that every time you play for free.

That "plate full of live server stuff to fix" you keep mentioning in various threads, much like any plate full of anything, costs money to serve. ;)

Gold sub servers, which have been the only new types of servers to launch for many years now, also have the cash shop like live, and fund EQ2 overhead costs and developer paychecks. It's clear which type of customer they're trying to engage.
    Breanna likes this.
  4. Elskidorr Active Member

Because many like myself only return to EQ2 for the new servers.
  5. MightyMeaghan Well-Known Member

It's an easy way to accommodate those who dislike the number and ability bloat of the high end live servers. They've got a new TLE and this DOV gimmick server launching which will accommodate those that prefer classic era content, and those who both dislike modern content but are sick of starting over in classic every few years.

The new servers will attract an initial rush of players, many of whom are returning specifically to try the server out. They'll pay subs for at least a couple months, and spend money in the cash shop on potions, mounts, housing, cosmetics, and krono. They'll probably get a decent infusion of cash through early summer between the two servers. Personally, I like the idea of a free trade TLE server and will probably play there full time once it opens, instead of hopping between Kaladim and Live and playing other games because I'm bored with both.
    Pixistik and Siren like this.
  6. AOE1 Well-Known Member

What it does is drain players from live for a while, then they go back to live and the new server is all of a sudden a dying server. S(ame)O(old)S(stuff)
    Tkia and Doobius40504 like this.
  7. Xevran Well-Known Member

Do you have a source for that? Seems like you're making stuff up and just assuming that it's true. And besides that, most of the stuff that's wrong with the main game also impacts the new servers. Fixing retail improves both experiences.

Either way these new TLE style servers that avoid end game are appealing to a different group of players than those that are happy with EQ2's current end game. They obviously make Daybreak money that's why they keep doing them.
    Tkia likes this.
  8. Tkia Well-Known Member

There's no such thing as a 'free server'. I wish people would get over this ridiculous notion. There are plenty of people on the live servers paying the same subs as those on the TLE servers. Why don't you think they deserve any dev attention to get their game fixed? And did it ever occur to you that if the "plate full of live server stuff to fix" actually got fixed there might be even more people playing and paying on those servers?
    Dogwood, AOE1 and Pixistik like this.
  9. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

To make money, duh! Lots of people always flock to the new servers, they spend money on appearance items and houses and other things, not just the monthly subscription.
    Breanna likes this.
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Just to start with, I think all the raiders are paid members or else you don't get to have high end gear and spells, nevermind all the other very good benefits that come from membership.

I've been paying a subscription since... 2006? Pretty sure it was 2006. I started on Lucan D'Lere, which has been merged with various other servers over time and is now Maj'Dul. I pay because of the benefits of membership. That it also helps make sure the game continues to exist is actually secondary to unfettered broker access, Fast Travel, double currency rewards, etc.
    rutro likes this.
  11. Dogwood Member

You mean making money by having these servers eventually get merged into other servers? If they are such money makers why do most of them get merged?
  12. Dogwood Member

BINGO!!! At least you get it it ....