Who thought requiring 500+ old quests was a good idea?

Discussion in 'Quests and Seasonal Events' started by Freeheroic!, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Freeheroic! Member

Epic 1.0s were wildly successful. Required what, 20-40 quests? Took some time, had to put in your effort, and then the mythical version required you to kill some hard mobs as part of a raid.

Now epic 2.0s come out and have literally hundreds of quests as pre-requisites. Someone was sharing the mage prerequisites for parts 1 and 2 (out of 5):
    City Timeline - 47 Quests in Qeynos.
    SF Timeline - 162 Quests.
    SF Faction - 30+ of the same repeatable (each run taking 10+ mins).
    ToT Repeatables - 70+ of the same repeatable
    AoM Timeline - 83 Quests.
    GD/CS Othmir - 40 Quests.

That's what, 433 quests from content that is years old? If parts 3-5 require similar levels of prerequisites, we may be looking at 1000 quests required to complete your epic 2.0, and even if parts 3-5 don't have any prerequisites at all, 433 is still a completely absurd number of prereqs.

Epic 2.0s could have been a hugely successful expansion feature, we've been asking for them for years. But instead of a fun and challenging questline with a nice rewards, we got 100 hours of old grey content that we're being forced to replay. Not to mention lvl 100 crafter, which, if players dont have a lvl 100 crafter by this point in the game, then it's because they absolutely despise crafting.
  2. Conifur Well-Known Member

My bet it was the accountant. More time wasted doing irrelevant quest, less time noticing the content is slim pickings for the cost they still charge. By time people have finished it they would have made their sales quota. Happy accountant.
    Mizgamer62 and DoomDrake like this.
  3. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

2 words for you - TIME SINK - nothing more nothing less
    Plus you are forgetting other pre-reqs... Like doing TS
    Personally I'd prefer just have an requirement to have 4 ascending classes leveling to level 10 and be done with it
    Mizgamer62 and Cragfire like this.
  4. Kuulei Well-Known Member

For some, it wasn't a time-sink at all :p
    The epic timeline seems to be geared toward the long-time player, that has all the prerequisites completed from previous expansions.
    But yes, for players that have been gone a long time or newer players, the amount of questing and grinding is mind-numbing.
    Febrith likes this.
  5. Ashandra Well-Known Member

A lot of players main change it's good for the game as it keeps them subscribing , forcing people to do 500 grey quests on there new mains is harsh .
    Kioske, Kojacke and Mizgamer62 like this.
  6. Cragfire Well-Known Member

I don't know... I'm not even all that impressed by the weapons vs. the amount of quests (perquisites) and time sink needed. Some of the spells/powers granted are kind of nice... the weapon itself.. meh.. Only nice part is the 25 fervor; Pot and Crit Bonuses are high, but we are drunk with that this x-pack anyway.
  7. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Oh someone already completed epics 2.0 so effects are known?
  8. Cragfire Well-Known Member

Yup. The weapons are popping up over the past several days. The spells granted can be seen on most of the class forums (here) but eq2u.com has the crafting book that they all originate from (so the finished spells can be seen and linked ingame).
    DoomDrake likes this.
  9. kluxor Well-Known Member

Lets not forget that other than a small handful of updates, its essentially a giant solo timeline. Original epic may have required a lot less, but also required a lot more grouping for updates. Overall a rather easy quest with a quite powerful reward at the end
  10. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Yes but it not required raiding unless you wanted mythical version ...
  11. kluxor Well-Known Member

Not sure what you're getting at here as neither of the epics required a raid force for the fabled
  12. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

really? how about GD update for the priests? at least for us it was not doable with single group
  13. Raff Well-Known Member

I do wish they would adjust that. Brutal fight. Have not been able to complete with any 2 full groups so far.

Longest we've lasted is 10-12 min or so.
  14. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

Unfortunately this is on the hand DPS fight on other hand curse need to be cured right away. The way we beat it few times -
    Everyone stack on each other in the middle of rock, as soon as someone been ported or feared run back (ideally have fear prevention rune). AoE block help, Blade Dance help too a lot. I am not sure what level of DPS is expected but my estimate we been clocking most certainly over 1.0B (with 2 group heavy loaded with priests). Basically as long as everyone more or less packed in the middle of rock things are goes well
  15. Rarrum Active Member

I didn't mind the sheer requirements for doing the epic once. But if they ever want alts to be a real thing again, they'll need to do something like they did with the original epics, to allow you to bypass the worst of "gray quest grind" once you've already gone through it once.
  16. Lucrethia New Member

/ponder on

This game is called Ever Quest
    Each expansion had a timeline
    If you had done the previous expansion timeline, instead of using tricks to cap your level in less than five hours, now you should not move backward to the old gray quests.
    Everyone is' free to choose their play style!
  17. Feldon Well-Known Member

Epic 2.0 requires hundreds of quests and the grinding of optional/rarely-used factions from Fallen Dynasty, Kunark, Tears of Veeshan, Destiny of Velious, Cobalt Scar, Chains of Eternity, etc.. Suggesting that if you just did the Terrors of Thalumbra sig line you would not need to do "old gray quests" qualifies as an Alternate Fact.

As always, my issue with the way these quests were tied to 8 years of content it is it rewards people who have one character they've played for a decade, and dramatically disincentivizes the creation of alternate characters. Alternate characters are created for many reasons, including pendulum swings of class balance that make a relevant class irrelevant. Sometimes people are filling group or raid slots. If it was genuinely desired by the EQ2 team that people play ONE character, then the instant-95 Heroic Tokens should be removed from the Marketplace, because mixed signals are being sent.
    Kioske, Azian, Shmogre and 4 others like this.
  18. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

That is not true by the LONG mile and here is good example why
    First of all - many of us truly disdain TS (hence in 13 years never bother to level one past level 9 or so) but never mind with veterans reward portions and hammer of adept hand it can be done in let say 10-12 hours actual play (waste of time sorry). Second about faction - let me ask you this -have YOU done dark mail gauntlet HQ? I done on my warlock for pure curiosity at some time and let me tell this - by the end of the quest you are no where near 50K faction that you need for Epic ... you about 30k or so short that you CAN grind via extremely annoying quest that involve tremendous amount of traveling and basically nothing else but time sink NOONE bothered to do in last 14 years (reward was buying some appearance suit). Ok moving to the next stop Rim faction - do you HONESTLY believe anyone bothered even in getting positive faction ...scratch that "no KOS" faction? - NOPE why? because for whole Kurnak timeline all you need illusion that temporary give you enough faction to progress with timeline. Grinding faction with Rim did not carry any benefits AT ALL - unlike faction grind in JW (between scops, sarnaks and iksars) because in the end in JW you earned very neat transportation unit from anywhere to JW.
    Yes anything else no likely to be a big problem for rest of folks. Epic 1.0 - most done at least in a form of ER (for the spells)
  19. DoomDrake Well-Known Member

For 1 char? may be ... for 2? - not likely for 3? - no way in hell
    And here is problem - flavors of x-pack been changed and let say warlock in this x-pack (and in the end of the last one) destroyed to merely mana sucker hence most stopped playing it while back but before AoM - BL was broken hence not many played that class before it been fixed (still with me?) Ppl are tend to switch classes over time (specially for such long living game like EQ2) ppl do tend to do quest lines ONCE (at most) unless net result something rather spectacular (like spells from epic 1.0 back in time) so even if someone done most of those so called pre-requisites (which in reality simplest time sinks) more likely than not those pre-req been spread between multiple chars
  20. Conifur Well-Known Member

Or the instant level 100 they marketed as a reward for buying the new zone increase (refuse to call it an expansion). Poor people who used that and thought they would be GTG.
    Prissetta, DoomDrake and Feldon like this.