Who is Anton the Mad?

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by Cyliena, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Cyliena Well-Known Member

Kaitheel asked over the weekend on twitter if anyone has "figured out who Anton the Mad really is?" I admit I have no idea, my only wild guesses were Sirran the Lunatic and Antonius Bayle. Kaitheel said he is from Norrath lore.

(If you're not familiar with him, he's the one who gives the Mad Crown's Quest and Taming of the Tuatara in Obol Plains)

So I pose the question to the Very Smart Lore Community--does anyone know who Anton the Mad is? Just logged onto the character I ran his quests with on beta and re-read the book you get, and while I'm sure there's some hints in it, I'm at a loss.

Here's the text from Anton's Bound Writings:

2. Rainmare Well-Known Member

I found him!

Anton and Antea Bayle. rulers during the Age of War. Sibling(twin) rulers, that loved each other so deeply that they seemed more queen/king then brother/sister. children of Antonius Bayle IV. Anton is the father of Antonius Bayle V. when Antea was killed by the Rallosian's revived Empire, Anton became deeply depressed and committed suicide.

this would also explain why his quest is the mad crown. him and his sister supposedly were the 'bad apples' i the rulership of Qeynos, and ruled in a more despotic manner then their predecessor or descendants.
    Dragan and Kaitheel like this.
  3. Cyliena Well-Known Member

Ohhh nice, where did you find that information at?

Guess I was a bit on the right trail by saying Antonius Bayle... just didn't know my Qeynos history well enough. ;)
  4. Rainmare Well-Known Member

actually I thought you were on the right trail with antonious, so I looked him up. and on wiki they had a liast of the basly rulers down to Antonia. that's where I found Anton and Antea/
    Kaitheel likes this.
  5. Cyliena Well-Known Member

Ah, awesome. :D I wonder if there's a book in-game that details the lineage. Can't think of one offhand.
    Dragan and Kaitheel like this.
  6. Kaitheel Developer

I wonder... maybe some library within a big city, or two, has a book waiting for you to discover after you complete Anton's quests?

~Kaitheel
    Dragan and Cyliena like this.
  7. Rainmare Well-Known Member

I must find it! heh
  8. Cyliena Well-Known Member

o_O I haven't re-run them yet on Live though... back to beta I go... you tease!!! :D
  9. Cyliena Well-Known Member

Wooo found it... sneaky sneaky.. was first to discover it on Beta. :D If someone gets the /loc in the FP library please post here or PM me it?
  10. Cyliena Well-Known Member

I cataloged the information from the book here: Bayle Lineage

I strongly suggest that anyone who is interested go find the book in-game first and read through it... it's seriously a good read! Just wanted a lore page where all the information was readily available out-of-game for anyone needing it. :)
    Kaitheel likes this.
  11. Lodrelhai Well-Known Member

One thing under Antonius III's listing doesn't make sense:

"Kyle disappeared mysteriously before Antonius III inherited the throne, ending the direct line of ascension for the Bayles, as the second son inherited upon his death."

In the SF prelude quest, we learned that Kyle's "disappearance" was on purpose, because there was a curse on the crown should the firstborn inherit. (Curse that the city would fall may have been satisfied when Kyle established New Qeynos in the Dead HIlls and it subsequently fell. One way or another, I believe the same NPC who told us the story also told us the curse was broken before Antonia took the throne.) The indication was he was hidden while he was very young, possibly still an infant. Iirc, he found out much later in life that he was a Bayle, so he apparently was sent off too young to have any memory of being one. Probably too young for anyone to have known there was a missing Bayle, as our first inclination that he existed was in the Qeynos Claymore questline in KoS.

Actually, I'd like more info on the curse itself - how was it placed, when, was it specifically if Kyle ruled or any first-born, if any first-born how many other missing Bayle lines are out there, and was the curse fulfilled with the fall of New Qeynos, or was it broken at some other time? My logs from back then got eaten in a computer crash, and all I've got left on it is memories.
  12. Dragan Active Member

Definitely will have to look in the Mage Tower, yet another book lying around or on the Sage?
  13. GrouchyMouse Active Member

I found the book in Mage Tower, thru the red portal, at the corner of 701.93, 41.31, 103.41
    It was a read on the Bayle line. Very interesting read. :)
    /offers Kaitheel several cookies
  14. Cyliena Well-Known Member

It's not on the Sages, it's lying around.
  15. Dragan Active Member

Yeah that suspiciously large book next to the wall, I found it :) Didn't get Disco though :(
    Cyliena likes this.
  16. Rainmare Well-Known Member

I believe the curse was specifically on Kyle Bayle. and I also think he didn't 'mysteriously' leave until much later in life. probably when he realized he was not going to get the crown.

Kyle Bayle himself was always torn in two. part of him longed to be the good man Antonious was, and part of him loong for the power that corrupt Kane bayle wielded. it's even on the armor from I think Faydwer or KoS that Kyle bayle was always divided within himself between the ideals of his siblings.

that same aspect might have been part of his 'curse' if he took the throne. a house divided among itself cannot stand. it is also true with a person and a kingdom.
  17. Rezikai Member

I respectfully disagree with ya there Rain, remember in the Sent. Fate lead up quest the high elf woman in the hidden bar Crows Nest, explains that the Royal book that was taken says if any 1st born Bayle rules Qeynos the city shall fall, she then mentions things about exiled 1st born's and those that were ferried off to outskirt deployments as not to obtain the crown. Some were fine not taking the crown as a 1st born... others.. still hold resentment.

I do agree that it's the line of Light and Dark that Kyle walks torn between the good and righteous way he was raised and the power of the curse and the void that poisoned his essence. Even in the lead up quest to SF he even says he feels some "ties" to the old family line that make him think for a second about killing a fellow Bayle (Antonia of course). Has anyone posted the book on the Bayle Lineage yet?

How the curse was inacted was something I haven't learned but due to PC issues I haven't been in the game in a while. Certain folk know that Kyle was the elder of the 3 brothers, quite a bit older then his other 2 siblings who players of Norrath would learn of later. His colony fell, ... many of the heroic names of people who were in the Age of Turmoil who had went with Kyle to start new Qyenos fell with him... or so it seems im told...*shrugs*
  18. Cyliena Well-Known Member

19. Vultir Member

(There should be a sticky thread on how to obtain really rare lore books / house items.)

I just want to say THANK YOU to the good people of this thread. The little things, like this book, makes EQII really sparkle. The minutia and detail to lore shown by the developers along with allowing the players to take a part in it with house items as souvenirs is a true pleasure. Thank you very much.
    Cyliena likes this.
  20. Dulcenia Well-Known Member

In Freeport it is located in the Academy of Arcane Science at /waypoint 23.58, -7.00, -135.38