Which healer to play if you're not any good at it?

Discussion in 'General Priest Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Tommara, Jul 24, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Tommara Guest

So many threads about "which type of healer?", but didn't see this question.
    I want to level a healer alt for my guild when a real healer isn't on. I've already got two level 90 toons, so I won't be playing this healer a lot. I hope. I've played healer alts in every MMO I've ever played, and each time, they've ended up as my main :( I know this fits the definition of insanity (doing the same thing over and over again and each time expecting it turn out differently), but it really will turn out differently this time! Before, the healer took over when all my toons were undeveloped, but this time, I've got not one, but two!, max level toons, with useful occupations of their own (paladin and troubador).
    I've already got a 30-ish templar and warden, but can make another character. My preference would be one that can protect well with the least amount of playing "whack-a-mole" with health bars (although I've played enough healers to know that really good healers have the heal in the air split seconds before the damage occurs, I doubt I'll have that level of situational awareness with this toon). I don't care about soloing or dps capability. - I've got other toons that do those things well. I just want to play one that even a noob could do all right.
    Thanks for any help you can give.
  2. ARCHIVED-awnya2 Guest

Inquisitor
    I know you mentioned you have a temp and they are really the 'best' healers. However, for leveling, soloing and group healing Inquistor is my #1 choice. They wear plate, have awesome buffs and can even tank in a pinch. As far as being 'good' at it, I think all the healers are basically the same difficulty to play. All can solo, just some kill faster than others.
    As far as situaltional awareness goes, if you think you may be distracted, perhaps a Mystic might be more to your taste, you can throw out the Wards that tick down damage and not have to wait until damage is done to respond.
  3. ARCHIVED-Calain80 Guest

For healing only if someone is helping you to level I would rank the healers in the following order as has least trouble healing: Templar -> Warden -> Fury -> Defiler -> Inquisitor -> Mystic.
  4. ARCHIVED-Hene Guest

Calberak@Valor wrote:
    This right here.

Go with a templar or warden if you want to heal. They have enough heals to be overkill in most situations and thus allows you to be very inefficient / clueless yet still keep your buddies alive :)
  5. ARCHIVED-StaticLex Guest

Shaman or cleric is the way to go. The heals hang around for 30 seconds so you can be mostly AFK and nobody knows the difference. Druids actually have to be there and pay attention..
  6. ARCHIVED-Generic123 Guest

Go with a Warden or Fury and take the AA called Infusion, which does damage every time you cast a heal. This will let you treat your heals as part of an attack rotation 95% of the time you can pretty much forget about the fact your healing since the HoT they give will be enough for most content. If you plan on getting your mythical Warden heals return them power in addition to doing damage, so there is no reason not to cast them as often as they are ready.
  7. ARCHIVED-Hene Guest

StaticLex wrote:
    Well how about when their heals get used up in 5 seconds, so they can't just "hang around for 30 seconds?" I'm sure if you played a shaman, you'd see what I mean :p
  8. ARCHIVED-StaticLex Guest

I have a shaman as well and it's basically an idiot mode class. Thanks for playing though.
  9. ARCHIVED-Hene Guest

StaticLex wrote:
    Lol? Have you raided on that shaman? Tried solo healing / solo curing a group? Wardens make healingand curing most content laughable.
  10. ARCHIVED-StaticLex Guest

The OP isn't asking about raiding.
  11. ARCHIVED-Hene Guest

StaticLex wrote:
    The OP never explicitly asks about any content type, but wardens have even more of an advantage when it comes to healing heroic content; in heroic content (read lower spike damage), HoTs are the reigning champion of healing with templars being close as their healing arsenal rivals wardens'
  12. ARCHIVED-Tehom Guest

He might actually need to cast debuffs and so on a shaman if they're doing content that isn't totally trivial, and with bad tanks in easy content shamans are usually the priests that die the most from bad body-pulling. I think a templar is probably the least complicated priest class to play in terms of giving benefit while largely passive (shield ally, stoneskin, blessings, etc), and given the amount of ward procs tanks are getting these days there's a stronger benefit to heals versus wards in heroic content than there used to be.
  13. ARCHIVED-Jooneau Guest

Don't play a healer if you're not going to aspire to be any good at it.
  14. ARCHIVED-Rick777 Guest

Jooneau wrote:
    2nd that, although you might find them quite fun. Yes I find the challenge of raiding as a healer VERY fun, I guess I'm one of those who hasn't been jaded quite yet, even after 6 years.
    I'll put my vote in for Templar, they are outstanding, a hell of a lot of fun to play, and really have that deep medieval type of healer feel to them IMO. You mentioned you didn't want to babysit health bars, when you get to a certain level of gear you will be more concerned with ward procs than single target healing. Casting group heals/reactives triggers these, so you will find yourself cycling the group spells a bunch, but finding less spikes on the group. It makes it a bit less like babysitting and more like having a regular rhythym of spell casting.
    I also played a raid warden and I liked them quite a bit as well, but I just love my Templar so much more, that's just my play style and nothing else. You didn't mention if you were rolling a healer for raids as I'm assuming since it's for your guild, but you're really going to have to "love" healing to some extent to raid with one, as they take a lot of love and nurturing to get them raid ready. I think your first step is to decide (or determine with your guild) what group your healer will be in. Main tank? Off tank? Mage group? Melee group? Each group requires a different healer, with some overlap though, and that will narrow your decision down quite a bit.
    If you are only asking about groups, you can virtually play ANY of the healers and heal any group zone, they are not difficult to heal. Each healer will have its pluses and minuses, but overall they can all get the job done.
  15. ARCHIVED-Revener Guest

I play/played Inq,warden,templar,defiler and tried fury twice :)

and going with exactly what he asked for: "Which healer to play if you're not any good at it?"
    I have to say warden and inqusitor
    Inq is bit slow until you get decent cast speed /reuse speed buffs after wich it plays basically like my warden.
    Main reason that they are easy to play is that you basically just have to spam 1-3 heals that cast fairly fast and have short reuse timers.
    I've boxed tank + healer alot and the one that was easierst to do it with was my warden, just flick screen (or mash the other keyboard) and mash 2 heals and then back to tank and hit 2 more CA's after the Autoattack.
    Inq was also easy to box with.
    templar and defiler is slower on both casttime and recast timers, so requires more work in that like on the templar you have to cycle more heals and some of the extra heal procs spells. Whereas on the warden the heals are ready to go again after just a few seconds.

Besides havn't really noticed any drawback have solohealed anything that a templar have on both inq and warden.
    drawback of the warden though compared to the inq is that you don't get a stunbreak so if you have no heals over time up when you get stunned it can be "fun" :)
  16. ARCHIVED-Lord_Ebon Guest

Revener@Splitpaw wrote:
    The Serenity druid AA can be cast while stunned and can come in handy for that. It has an SF AA to add stifle immunity as well, although it's currently bugged and not castable while stifled.
  17. ARCHIVED-Revener Guest

Oh yeah thats true, just never used it on my warden since it seldom raids :)

Inq selfcure is not an AA though.
  18. ARCHIVED-hortefoutre Guest

For me solo healing with a warden is 100 time easier than with a mystic.
    The only exeption would be a very good tank that always turn the mob and tank far enough from the group against monster with no area of effect or agro reset.
    In that case, and only in that case the shaman will be better ...
    So in a sense a shaman would be better in early ROK, and you play hom pushing one button (double ward macro) ....