Where do you host images?

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by daicia, Sep 23, 2019.

1. daicia Well-Known Member

Hi folks! I recently finished two projects that I then published. I took screenshots to post here, but no matter what I do, I get the 'broken image' icon when I go into Preview mode.

I'm currently using IMGR. This happens no matter which file type I try, so I thought maybe someone here would have another suggestion for hosting if IMGR is the issue. Perhaps someone else has used IMGR and can tell me if they have had any quirks they've solved. Maybe people just post links to their projects these days and I am just unaware?

If anyone wants to visit the houses while I fight with this they are both on AB.
    -One is a City of Mist house under Massive listings, titled Menagerie Cafe' & Artisan's Residence.
    -The other is a Halfling isle under Medium, titled Traveler's Quay.

Thanks for any insight in advance. If I get this resolved I'll start a new thread for each house.
  2. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Use the BB code bit on imgur. My first mistake using imgur was I linked to the page, not the image.
  3. daicia Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'll give that a shot!
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  4. daicia Well-Known Member

Boo. No Dice. I wonder if it's a browser issue? Maybe the forum hates previewing in Chrome. (And yes, I know everyone hates Chrome). I'll try it in Firefox later today.
  5. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Are you just copy and pasting the BBC code here ? Or are you doing something else ?

I click on an image in my gallery. A popup shows. On the right side it shows all kinds of different links.

I then click on 'Copy' just to the right of where it says 'BBC for message boards and forums'.

Then post it here, like this old map I made years ago.

[IMG]
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I use www.DeviantArt.com and haven't had any problems with it at all, other than the tediousness of needing a 3rd party site in the first place. :-/

My steps there:

1. I publish the image using DeviantArt's procedure.

2. I right-click on said published image and choose View Image from the drop-down list that results. It's probably easier on different sites, but this works for me on DeviantArt. :)

3. As a result of View Image, I get just a "blank" separate page with just my image on it. I highlight and Ctrl+C copy the URL up top of that page -- for those who don't know (there's gotta be at least someone out there who doesn't these days; I didn't for the longest time ;->), a URL is the computerese gobbledygook at the top; the one for this page is:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/where-do-you-host-images.590643/

4. I come back here to an open post and click on the li'l "tree in a landscape" icon button, to the left of the "filmstrip" icon button (never used that, but I'm guessing it's for inserting videos?).

5. When the Insert Image window comes up, I Ctrl+V paste the URL in the open line area and hit the Insert button.

6. Voila! Inserted like an image in a Word doc. I have heard that Imgur has had issues -- or was that Photobucket? -- about them being, ah, Richard-heads about the whole "free sharing to other sites" bit recently, and refuse to do so unless you pay like $400/month or so for their Premium membership, but if they keep that crap up, they'll likely go out of business soon. :-/

My level of DeviantArt membership is free. ;)

Uwk
    Rosyposy, Breanna and Juraiya like this.
  7. daicia Well-Known Member

This is my exact process too, which is why it's so odd that it's not working. I didn't have time to check it in Firefox yesterday because I was so busy. Hopefully later tonight I can try it. I wish I could easily delete a post if I just test-post it, to see if it's just the preview mode that's messed up. :/

Uwk - totally agree with the 3rd party site thing. It's ridiculous.
  8. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

:eek: yikes and that's why I don't link anything I am getting dizzy just reading this :confused: .
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  9. Faeonara Well-Known Member

10. Faeonara Well-Known Member

made in error

trying one more time to get this sorted out Please bear with me while I make a muddle out of it

[IMG]
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Breanna and Dude like this.
  11. Faeonara Well-Known Member

Yay finally got imagur to behave
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone, Breanna and Dude like this.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

So, is it the hosting/posting site, Firefox/Chrome/your favorite flavor of ISP, or the forums here that are messing you up, Daicia? 'Cause the gods know, it could be any/all of the above... :-/

Uwk
    still trying to recall which site won't let folks post for free on other sites any more...I don't use that one, and never will thanks to that policy :-/
    Breanna likes this.
  13. Faeonara Well-Known Member

it

It had been so long since I used the site Imugur that I had forgotten how to link it ..I kept trying to use the small insert code here tree icon to link and of course that does not work that way . Imgur works but my mind err well thats a different kettle of fish so to speak lol .
    I used to use Photobucket but they changed their way of doing business and unless you pay them you cannot share things so I quit and use Imgur now . No fee and ease of use makes it a good site for me . I also use Chrome browser on the forum here .
    All I had to do was click on what i wanted to link and chose to get share links and copy the BB address ..come to forum here and simple use Ctrl and V to paste in the post itself . You do not use the tree icon to insert code .
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  14. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I'd found that out back in the old days of Google and Firefox, where if I wanted to insert an image from a Google search (such as, "images of thatched-roof cottages" or whatever), I'd pick an image and was able to directly insert it here without a lot of futzing about. It was great. :-/

Ah! Photobucket. That's the Evil One. ;->

Uwk
    Breanna, Geroblue and Faeonara like this.