What to choose? :/

Discussion in 'General Scout Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Piera, Mar 16, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Piera Guest

Hey all,

Sorry to sound all repetative as there's a few question's flying around regarding *what class* but im seriously confused on what class i should be. Tried mage, have a 65 Necro, dont like it, have an Illusionest, not bad but still, want something a bit better. Dont like to heal, or tank so that rules our priest's / fighter's so ive been looking at scout's. Ive seen some swashies and Troub and they do look like fun but unsure what class is the most fun to be. Something nice to solo with from time to time, end game raiding which also be good.
    Dungeons whilst lvling is a must as well, help :(
  2. ARCHIVED-kidpaul Guest

Dirge or Troub and you will get a toon that has no trouble find a grp or be in a raid slot can be a tad boring in long fights since the are heavy on util and not that much combat arts but great buffers. The assassin, swashbuckler and brigand also need on raids and always good to have in a group good debuffs and lots of positional combat arts so you have to be active behind the keyboard.
    Any of those 4.8 classes are valid options. edited from 5 classes brigand only counts as 0.8 since they dont get as much love as the rest.
    And that covers all the different scout classes that SOE acknowledge.
  3. ARCHIVED-nipxur Guest

kidpaul wrote:
    Hehe, me thinks you have a ranger alt?
  4. ARCHIVED-kidpaul Guest

nipxur wrote:
    My Ranger is my MAIN but for what he asked for I cant recommend my own class.. sad as it might be.

And Rangers dont ask for what to play they already know.
  5. ARCHIVED-shadowedwolf Guest

When I first started playing EQ2... I went against my own instincts on creating a Ranger, listening to friends instead... so my very first toon ever was a Swashy... and I loved him to death.
    Long story short... that Swashy no longer is with us... and became reincarnated as a Ranger a couple years later... and I LOVE him to death...
    Anyways...
    I've played a Trouby... got bored... deleted... now have a Dirge. Fun toon... though I'm thinking it might be in the choosing of his race as opposed to the actual class. (Something about a beer-chugging, womanizing Barb playing the lute just warms me heart...) Never have a problem getting groups for him, even at lower levels... generally get asked to bring him along on low level dungeon runs with my guild... as opposed to my high level ****** out Inquis. But, for all the fun he is in groups... soloing can be... tedious. I imagine it goes better in great gear... but... /shrug.
    Never had a Brig... but seen my friend play hers. Does pretty well.
    On the same coin... I played a Swashy for awhile... and even though my original Swash was reincarneted a Ranger... I did eventually re-roll a Swashy. Great toon, loads of fun. In groups and raids can dish out DPS with the best of them... and the debuffs come in handy. Solo, I slice through mobs like a hot knife through butter. I've even tanked a few dungeons (Unrest, KC, Drafling Tower...) with my Swashy. Not that it was easy... but it was fun. :)
    My pride and joy though is my Ranger. Swashy is a close second, but my Ranger will always be my favorite. Solo can be... interesting... but it's definatly a worthwhile challenge. :)
  6. ARCHIVED-nipxur Guest

kidpaul wrote:
    I feel your pain. My main used to be a ranger. He's fun to play, fun to group with, but when I wanted to start getting in to raiding it was near impossible. I leveled up a dirge as my new main and relegated my ranger to 'need a break from bard' status. I'm sitting at 80 with my ranger at the moment and seriously considering betraying to assassin on my way up to 90. I'm not sure I have much faith in the devs to make real fixes to the class.
  7. ARCHIVED-billchivers Guest

nipxur wrote:
    Very similar situation (except I also had a Pal and Necro at the 80 cap). My Dirge is at 90, my Pal is on the way. the I'll do my Necro. Then I'll look to see how the dust has settled an make a decision; unless there are signs of a serious ranger revamp in the pipes (which I doubt) I'll either be levelling a totally different alt or betraying to assassin.
    If all my toons were deleted and I had to start from scratch, I'd choose in the following order:
    Dirge
    Assassin
    Troubador
    Either of the Rogues
    Ranger
    That's based on someone that does a pretty balanced mix of solo, group, and raid. Yes, Bards aren't brilliant at solo, but they are good enough with a few AA under their belt and some attention to detail.
  8. ARCHIVED-Giggittygiggity Guest

I've got a low 40s troub that I've been playing a lot lately and as you might of guessed I'm loving the class. It starts out slow but once you get several AAs in run speed you can start kiting which is the reason why I like the class so much, I won't say too much since I don't want to nerf this class but you can own pretty much any non-caster mob as long as your in a open area if your careful with your surroundings.
    On top of that everyone likes a troub in their group.
  9. ARCHIVED-mook85az Guest

There are a lot of new dirges. And a lot of lazy people playing them. Shockingly low parses. I see it all the time in groups when I'm not on my dirge. It's not the equipment too. Don't pick a bard if you think it means you don't have to dps. Or do, because I really get a kick out of outparsing other bards =)
  10. ARCHIVED-Turb0T Guest

I've played brig, ranger and dirge to 80+.
    I wouldn't be too down on rangers, they can do awesome dps. Quite strong soloing so long as your target can be snared and you have room to kite around in. Despite the name you tend to fight at 5m range or so due to the myth buff giving max dps bonus at that range, and you can use melee and ranged CAs there. You can fight as a ranged ranger, but generally you won't be as effective.
    Dirge has got some nice loving in T9, and can now do very nice dps, in part by the stats consolidation, in part from the new VO ability (you essentially 'record' dps for a brief period then 'play it back' in the form of a proc). Dirges now should do decent dps more easily, while also having some nice buffs (they can now self buff battle cry) and the important ressing ability. They're in demand, though as someone above said you get a lot of players playing dirges poorly, probably because they can't get in a raid on their main class so roll a bard instead. Not the best soloer, much more fun/less painful to solo with ranger.
    Brig is my favourite of those three though, nice fighting style of up close and personal, potential for decent dps. Can solo quite well through lots of stuns and snares, though not as fun as ranger solo. In raids has the best debuffs to increase damage on the mobs. Main weakness, compared to swashy, is lack of AE dps... in any AE encounter the swash will pwn the brig due to hurricane ae damage. Also has a lot of rear-only attacks, more than any other scout, which can be tricky at times to handle. But brigs are tough, we don't whine!
    You' probably find swashy to be fun. Nice AE dps which suits T8/T9 zones, good debuffs to help stop mobs hitting so hard, the ability to melee from greater range than other scouts, often used in main tank group for AE aggro transfer, can pinch tank in some instances. Bit of a fotm at the moment.
  11. ARCHIVED-RingleToo Guest

Whenever I see this question about what class, I always put in a plug for the Swashy. A dirge/troub will never have a problem getting into a group or raid, a brig solos a tad better, ranger & assassin will do a bit better dps maybe. But for pure fun, and for being maybe the most versatile class in the game, Swashy. And they have the best looking class hat in the game
  12. ARCHIVED-Kulaf Guest

If you are looking for one Scout class to both solo and raid with I would have to say Swash. I play a Troub and while there is no doubt about our desireability on raids......your prequalifier is that they be "fun". Well if you like managing a JCap rotation and power feeding people and poping off PotM when it is up all the while hoping you out DPS the healers and call it "fun" perhaps it is the class for you.
    However with their abundant stuns and high DPS I would say go with Swash.
  13. ARCHIVED-Dalannae Guest

kidpaul wrote:
    /agree