What should I do and choose?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Mosharie, Mar 8, 2022.

1. Mosharie New Member

Hello all and seeking a bit of knowledge.

I want to return to the game and enjoy the elements of progressive character development. I would like to address the following when making a choice and seek guidance please. My primary motivating factors in playing are character development and working towards min-maxing my performance and taking on challenges, then when appropriate learn to perform well in a group.

1. Choose a server that isn't dead meaning there is an active broker market, opportunities to group and possibly raid.

2. Choose a class that would have the best experience soloing with a mercenary.

3. Choosing the correct mercenary that would be best suited for the class chosen in concern number 2.

4. Based on the class chosen in concern number 2 how do I know what AA's to select and optimize my build. In WoW and ESO there are infinite resources that help with optimal builds, rotations, etc. Obviously much less people are playing this game and there would be much less resources to help with AA selections, builds, rotations, etc. But, based on the class chosen in concern 2 where could I find the information if I desire building towards min maxing my duo?
  2. Twyla Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome back.

1. Skyfire is a good server with plenty of people. It has an active broker. There are several opportunities to raid as well.

2. Every class is pretty good; it depends on what you want to do. Read the descriptions of the class if they are support (i.e., Guardian) and you want to solo at the beginning you will have a challenge. It will be doable but not quick.

3. I almost always solo and personally use Inquisitor mercs on all my chars, both DPS and healing. They do decent DPS and their heals keep me standing so I can concentrate on doing damage.

4. AA's again will be up to what you want to do. If you want to mostly group and be a healer, then bump those if you want to solo then tank bump your damages. Most AA's are specific to your class, so unless I know what you are I really can't offer concrete advice. The good news is, if you don't like how your char is performing with the AA's you selected you can always roll them back and try something else. I advise that once you pick a class go to EQ university and search for that class. It will show you how other people have set up their characters.

My last bit of advice is to take your time. Learn how your character works. Find a guild and/or ask questions in general chat. The beginning zones are great fun imho and allow you to learn how your character works.
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Maj'Dul is the highest population server. There are dedicated raid guilds, raid alliances, etc. and most are looking for a few players for their raid forces. What classes are needed for raids varies, but healers, bards, chanters, T1 DPS are all frequently asked for.

Any class with any mercenary will work, although will say that in general having a healer merc is usually your best bet.

At lower levels (say, up to around level 100 or so), all the mercs have pretty similar stats. I really like Stamper Jeralf, myself: he's an Inquistor, and hireable in Freeport in an area that even good toons can usually get to safely (though this may involve entering the Freeport sewers and popping up in East Freeport, then watching for guards as you go seawards to the Seafarer's Roost where Stamper can be hired).

You can train your Mercenaries (look at the Merc tab in your Character window) and this opens gear slots for your merc. Regardless of class, all mercs use STR as their primary stat, and they're not restricted on type of armor, so your best bet is to gear them out in plate. Mercs can use the same gear players do, even though there is some gear that is limited to mercs specifically. Merc gear can also use some adorns. Set adorns won't work for a mercenary.

When you get to Blood of Luclin (level 110) and higher, then your mercenaries will give you a Mercenary Battalion Buff, and you will want to consider which mercenary will be best both for adventuring and grouping. Adventuring, you will still want a healer. But when grouping, you may want to summon a different merc to gain the buff, then dismiss the merc to join the group. The buff persists until you summon a different mercenary.

As soon as you are able, start playing the Overseer Missions. They will from time to time give you mercenary tokens that will allow you to hire mercenaries on the moon and in Vetrovia. Most of these are useless, but a few good ones can drop. Also, the Overseer Missions will reward you with potions to train up your mercenary, your mount, your familiar, and/or reduce spell research time. Plus unlockers to open barding slots on your mounts.

AAs
    The game will automatically assign your AAs, but generally these aren't the optimal AA builds. My recommendation is to ask in General chat who are the best players of your class on the server, then write down those names. Look them up on EQ2U and look at their AA builds there and learn from them. You can even download an AA build from another player's EQ2U record that you can import and use on your toon.

Also, you can politely contact the people whose names you were given and ask them if they have the time to answer some questions, and ask them directly for advice on your class.

Spell Rotation
    Spell casting order is not a fixed monolithic thing here. It will vary based on your stats (which are affected by your AA and gear).

Our spells and combat arts (I'm just gonna call them spells after this) come in differing levels and in spell "strengths"... you automatically get the Apprentice versions of your spells. A Scholar (Alchemist/Jeweler/Sage, depending on your archetype) can craft Journeyman spells. Adept is the next level, and are mob drops and often available on the broker. Scholars can craft Expert spells for you from rare harvests, and this is your best bet while you are leveling... harvest everything, find out which rares can be made into what, and ask in the Crafting chat channel for a crafter to make things for you. After Expert spells, we have Masters, Grandmasters, Ancient, and Celestial. If you happen upon one of these as you are leveling, that's great, but don't worry about them until end game

You'll want to cast your spells in order of decreasing efficiency. "Efficiency" is based on how much direct damage a spell does, any detriment damage that "ticks", the duration of the spell, and how long it takes to cast a spell. I figure this out in Excel, personally.

You can look at a typical sheet set up for Wizard spell efficiency (Dropbox link)... this one is set for a Wizard, but it's easy enough to modify for other classes. To use, buff yourself up. Then open your Journal (press J), go to the Spells or Combat Arts tab, then open each spell one by one and use the values show in the Examine window to fill in the spreadsheet. Some things can't be determined this way, as for instance dumbfire pets, so for those I find a guildhall that has a Training Dummy chest, set up a group of about 8 training dummies and make them immortal, turn on Advanced Combat Tracker, and throw whatever spell it is over and over at the dummies, then figure out the average damage from ACT. Once youi have all the spells filled in, sort by Efficiency from highest to lowest, and that's your casting order.

Caveat: There will always be exceptions on casting orders. There will be some things you want to cast immediately as a mob is pulled, there will be situational spells that you only cast sometimes, there are buffs and debuffs to work in. But the efficiency list is the basis.

Class Guides
    There really aren't many really good class guides, because the devs keep tinkering with class balance and we get new improved spells every expac. There are some out there, but they become dated really fast. Try googling for "EQ2 and {name of your class} AND guide" and see what you can turn up. But also ask here in the forums. There are class subforums.