What race for necro?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ARCHIVED-LordJake, Sep 17, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-LordJake Guest

I am thinking about going for necromancer what race would look coolest and fit the role of a necromancer? thanks
  2. ARCHIVED-vorek Guest

RP wise...I cannot come up with anyone other then Dark Elf.
    Powergamer wise....Erudites have the highest INT.
    Otherwise...there are NO differences. An ogre necronamcer is not better or worse than a gnome.
  3. ARCHIVED-Nikren Guest

/agree: there is none better than the DE (specialy if u r roll playing)
    ~DE necro of Nektulos
  4. ARCHIVED-Ava3ar Guest

for the cool factor i would say a frog, but im slightlly bias on that one

a frog with a zombie following it looks really cool
  5. ARCHIVED-DwarvesRUs Guest

My Necro is a High Elf. With red hair and golden robes. Dragging a skeleton behind her. It looks so. . . . .wrong! I like it.
  6. ARCHIVED-Caliban Guest

I love my darkelf Necro, but a Troll would be nice with the high health. High health is useful now.
  7. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

In my opinion, the best ones to roleplay are Dark Elf and Ratonga. Statistically speaking, the top 4 are Erudite, Gnome, Dark Elf, and Ratonga, and the worst 4 are Troll, Barbarian, Dwarf, and Ogre.

High health isn't nearly as useful as a high INT, which affects both your Power pool and your spell damage.
  8. ARCHIVED-KeeseroGuan Guest

As far as roleplaing and races are concerned, any race that could choose to be a Necromancer in EQL can have a basis for being one in EQ2. Off the top of my head I can't be completely sure if this is accurate but: DE's, Erudites, Gnomes, Iksar, and Humans could make a Necromancer. On the other other hand I can't say how put off I am when I see high-elf necro's or a wood-elf necro.
  9. ARCHIVED-Arogati Guest

Half the Necros out there are Dark Elves. Don't make a DE Necro, it's the most painfully cliche race/class combo the game has to offer, and the sad thing is it's not as bad as it was in EQ1 (About 90% of the Necros there were DE).

Of the races from EQ1, the following could be Necros

Human, Dark Elf, Gnome, Erudite, Iksar, and Froglok. (Random funfact - Trolls were originally considered for Necros, but were never allowed)

Part of the point of this game is that your character can do whatever he or she wants. If your High Elf summoner grows weary of the goody-goodies in Qeynos, he can choose a darker path toward the Necromantic arts. As far as roleplayability, any race will do, if you actually roleplay the character and don't just try to be a cookie-cutter toon. I would surmise that's why they scrapped the concept of race/class limitations when designing EQ2. While those of us who prefer a more traditional approach to our characters can pursue combinations that are more in line with that, those who wish to do something a bit different (And possibly be remembered for being, say, a Dwarven Necromancer) are as free to do so. And yes, being an unusual race/class combo is likely to help people remember you, which in an MMO is a good thing, as long as you're not a tool.

Basically be what you want. A good roleplayer can work it into their character's flavor.
    Message Edited by Arogati on 09-17-2005 11:10 PM
    Message Edited by Arogati on 09-17-2005 11:11 PM
  10. ARCHIVED-Nosewarts Guest

Erudite for any magic user class. Highest starting INT is great for the first half of the ladder. Dark elves are no more fitting for the necro class for roleplay than any other evil race, imo. In fact, I'd say they fit SKs. Casters are generally frail and dark elves are not by any means.
  11. ARCHIVED-Moridian Guest

Not that I really care about 'rp reasons' as anyone can make up anything, but.

Im currently betraying a high elf to freeport, just finished my 500th orc about 5 minutes ago as a matter of fact :)

And as far as RP reasons, the high elf has infinite. How many books and stories have been written about the 'fallen angel'. The light turned to dark, etc....

For anyone that has read Dragonlance, Dalamar is a prime example.
  12. ARCHIVED-Panador Guest

I also think that the EQ1 races are probably the best, rp-wise. Dark Elf is just THE necro race, Iksars close behind although the EQ2 lizzies look too muscular for caster, gnome (just kinda fits, because of their small size they use minions to serve and defend them), ratonga(same+inherently evil), erudites (haughty, they know what they can do and they don`t care a bit about morale and all those useless emotional values), human.

Good betrayer races would be - IMO - high elf (they're supposedly just as haughty as erudites and if a high elf got some trauma or is just sick of the goody-good way of his folk, why should he not turn to the undead to reach his goals?), froglok (someone mentioned it - coolness factor, frog with a skellie :D), hm, can't think of any other race, maybe halflings, they lived next to Kithicor forest in EQ1 and maybe the loss of Rivervale and having it turned into a vermin-infested hell-hole turned some of them made or whatever. Half-elfs with the punk-and-rebell-like image they got just don't fit in the highly intelligent, more or less slightly insane, evil, twisted and sinister (most important) image that comes to my mind when I think of necromancers.

My main in EQ1 (although I didn't play for too long, only got him to lvl 33) was a Dark Elf Necromancer.
    Message Edited by Panador on 09-18-2005 10:12 AM
  13. ARCHIVED-yohann koldheart Guest

i made my necro a ratonga,i like him. not ta many ratonga necro's.
  14. ARCHIVED-Sarkoris Guest

I have to say I am fanatical about all things Iksar so I am very biased in that regard.
    As far as high elf necros goes, my non Iksar eq 1 lore is a bit rusty but didn't Innoruuk create the first dark elves by torturing and corrupting the high elf king and queen ? If so it's not that far a stretch to build a decent back story to following your darker bretheren rather than carebear land.

Sark.
  15. ARCHIVED-DwarvesRUs Guest

Heh. My 1st "main" was my High Elf SK. I did that just to be different, and yes, HE SK's are exceedingly rare. On Permafrost server, mine was 1 of 6 total, and only 3 were actively played. That 6 was out of about 450 total SK'd for the server. Once I moved to Befallen, I became 1 of 8 HE SK's on the server. I don't know how many are actively played, but there are nearly 800 SK's in the server, so barely 1% of the SK's are High Elves, it seems.
    Anyway, the point of that is that when I got to Longshadow Alley, all the Dark Elves cheered as I went by. I moved immediately from Big Bend, and ever since then, just about every character I've made has been a High Elf who betrayed to Freeport. And lives in Longshadow Alley, of course.
    So I'm not really playing betrayed High Elves "just to be different," though there is something to that. Mostly it's just that I like people to cheer as I walk by. Silly me, no?
  16. ARCHIVED-Traigus Guest

Dwarf lol.

Lots of tradition of Dwarven Necros.. on Earth (oldschool Northern European Fiction), not in EQ.

I've had very little difficulty being a necro dwarf.

He also looks far more scraggly /disreputable then any DE I have ever seen.

My EQ1 necro was a lizard. I was very tempted to do that again.

-T
  17. ARCHIVED-Urbannaja Guest

Frogloks could NOT be necros (unless they changed it recently).

One thing I would add, for PVP purposes, one of the races that gets a 'hide' skill could be very helpful =) Instant stealth against an opponent without see hidden (or one who is only ready for invis) would be a very handy trick that could win you some sweet longshot bets....not that I bet or anything......=)
  18. ARCHIVED-Tallika_Runwithbears Guest

Gnome power RULZ!!!
  19. ARCHIVED-El Chupacabras Guest

I wouldn't say it really matters too much. Personally, I like the gnomes and ratonga for necro since they both get a racial trait that reduces hate and necro is the only mage that has no class agro reduction ability short of FD. Necro's also get infravision and ultravision (ultra's broken right now but it's intended) so if you want the three nightsight abilities, a sonicvision race would give that to you (ratonga or kerran). If you want the highest possible int, then take an erudite. If you want to RP, a dark elf or ratonga (maybe a gnome).

In the end it just comes down to what race won't drive you nutty looking at or listening to when you play.
  20. ARCHIVED-gr8scott Guest

Only reasonable difference is the racial abilities. If you really want to powergame, you could go with the races with hate reduction. The only time I really wanted to be a different race was when I was looking for gorlux(?) (named orc). Anyway, someone said woodelves had tracking as a racial ability. WTB woodelf necro!!

Greatscott