What necro do bring over wizzy ?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Venur, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Venur Active Member

As far as I know wizard always out dpsed necro in raid/group so I'm wondering if necro do bring any utility to make them worthwhile ?
  2. azcn2503 Active Member

Lots of heals.
  3. Thalador Active Member

I wouldn't say lots of heals. Not since critting heals stopped. A necro has a couple of things. Rezzing, although not the best its still good in tough situations, hearts for power (although I stopped casting them because they are so weak now). Personally, and I raided on a necro, I would bring a wiz over a necro assuming you had no one else in the group who could use TC. Necro's/Locks benefit most from UT while Wizzie/Conjy benefit most from TC
  4. Gash Active Member

HP debuff.
  5. Davngr Well-Known Member

nothing really, just play what you like.
  6. ryokoryu New Member

these comments never really help anyone figure out what they want to play
  7. The Jones Active Member

15% max health increase for the group from your end line presteige ability. That's pretty amazing if you ask me.

The heals necros bring are truly helpful too, when the situation calls for it. You can spot heal the tank with your life transfer (with a fast recast too) and there is a fairly long duration buff that continuously heals the group as your pet casts stuff.
  8. Davngr Well-Known Member

necro and wizard bring about the same utility to the raid. the only real difference is the way they play. necro is far more forgiving of mistakes and gear than wizard.
  9. Davngr Well-Known Member

the 15% hp is pretty useless because the second someone dies it's gone. so for progression fights when 15% hp would be amazing it's not there and for the farm fights that the 15% hp IS there it's meaningless for everyone except the necro.

oh.. a BIG Laugh Out Loud at the lifetransfer.. srsly.. i can never not get a chuckle at the "healing" necros
  10. Malachy Well-Known Member

I'm not in a top 10 raiding guild, but similarly geared toons...my necro outparses all of the sorcerers I've raided with. Groups is another story because mobs die so quick, but at that point several other classes can outparse wizards on trash mobs too.

Raidwise, if you're ever short on chanter/bard (which is often for most non-hardcore raid guilds)...you will outparse ANY other similarly geared dps class that doesn't have a chanter/bard buff AND never run out of power to boot.

As far as necro healing, it's pretty crappy compared to a priest, obviously, but transfer life is a full heal anytime I've ever cast it and our passive heals we get from our mage pet goes a long way for single healer groups. My heal/rezz/feign death abilities regularly makes a difference. Personally, I much prefer playing my necro.

Play whatever you prefer, but both have their pros and cons. In a sticky situation, a necro will always prove more useful than a wizard.
  11. The Jones Active Member

Yeah not sure why your laughing at the life transfer... It's a fast cast, fast re-use nearly full heal on the tank. I've been in groups where the healer went AFK and easily kept the tank up myself while clearing trash.

And yeah I can see where the 15% (might actually be 12.5% now that I think about it) max health boost isn't as useful during a raid. I on the other hand only do heroic content and it's pretty much a permanent buff.
  12. Colm Active Member

Umm... Elemental toxicity, anyone?
    Deveryn likes this.
  13. Cleaner Active Member

everything warlocks and wizzards are usless, and should be deleted.
    Le Clown likes this.
  14. Deveryn Well-Known Member

Necros have always had an easier time with hate in group / raid situations. Skills like this have made them a little more useful. Some of the wizards I played with would overdo it in the name of getting big blasts and topping the DPS charts and they would die constantly, but claim to be the best. I always felt the best DPS is consistent DPS.
  15. Ucala Well-Known Member

elemental tox is one thing, they give max health through prestige (I forget the %) if there isn't a conj in raid than they have a raid buff for potency or something like that, Awakean the Grave or something? plz they rez people :p (not that they should, but they can).
  16. Colm Active Member

Well I know its something for both conj/necro but i thought it was kind of funny that no one had mentioned Etox. Which in the right situation can do some really amazing DPS.

But yeah, that's has definitely made them more useful in groups/raids. I remember when no one wanted either summoner in raids.
  17. Davngr Well-Known Member

sorc have procs too and frankly etox is just a lag fest on the fights that it's most effective.

like i said on my first post, wizard is far more unforgiving as far as mistakes and groups go but will put out more damage than a necro if you don't mess up.

the better player/set up/geared will most always come out on top but both being equal necro lets you drink more beer and perform roughly the same were as wiz will punish your slurred facerollin far more.

the hp boost is a joke for everyone but the necro and the raid wide potency is lulz as well.. srsly.. 3 potency.. HOORAY!!! GET ME DAT 3 POTENCY PLEASE!! PLEASSE!!!!

edit.
    the 1.5% hp debuff is probably the best utility necro has over the other mages.
  18. Colm Active Member

Ice Lash (Frigid Gifts or whatever the actual spell is called) comes no where near to putting out the same kind of DPS/Utility that Etox is capable of producing (at least in encounter fights). Albeit you're right about the lag spikes in some cases.
  19. Chronus Active Member

Frigid Gift (Ice lash on the parse) actually does nearly as much on every fight as Elemental Toxicity, mainly because the way procs work is it's your int/amod/potency then whoever's hitting it's crit bonus and a wizard's potency is naturally much higher than any summoner's due to Sanguine + EV, along with a much higher amod due to their mythical.

And that's on AE fights like Tuzerk in DC x4. On single target fights or fights with adds that aren't linked Frigid Gift can do up to and above 3x the amount of dps that Elemental Toxicity does. Imo you should compare them to warlocks anyway (as that's who they compete with for the big single target buff of UT), in which case it's 18% duration increase, curse of darkness and grasp (venemous runes) up against what the necro has, which is still close but warlock generally parses better (bar large player skill differences).

Agree on Max HP debuff being best necro utility. Honestly Necromancers do need a bit of a love at this point in my opinion.
    Le Clown likes this.
  20. Mae- Well-Known Member

Its 12.5% max health buff to the entire raid ... until someone in the group dies :p Conjys give spell weapon AE and haste (lolz) not potency.