What is the job of an Illusionist - End Game?

Discussion in 'Illusionist' started by ARCHIVED-Ramonde, Apr 28, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Ramonde Guest

I just started playing and it seems in groups my only two abilities i am supposed to use is Mana Flow and the threat loss ones..
    Does it ever get any better?
  2. ARCHIVED-Rocky4686 Guest

The main role of an Enchanter (both Illies and Coercer's) are to be power healers. At end game, Illies do this best by dps'ing to proc our mythical ability. I hardly ever have to use mana flow unless it's a power drain type fight or I'm being healed by a Fury or and Inquisitor. Remember Savante is your friend. Use it before everyone is running low on power to get them back to full. The same is true of mana flow. If I see a group members power down by 1/3, I'll start flowing them before they "need" it. I save mana cloak for emergencies or when I know there's an AOE coming in that will effect the group. Mana Cloak + Time Warp = Extra triggers and more power returned.
    However, like I said, I personally play my Illy like a DPS class. The faster I'm hitting my buttons, the more times my mythical procs, and the more full my group's power stays (Not to mention, the faster mobs go down and the more teir 1 dps classes have to work to actually stay above me on a parse). Sometimes, just in case I fall a little behind, but not enough to warrent Savante or Mana Cloak use, I'll also find a spot to throw Mana Tap into my rotation and keep it up. It yeilds a decent ammount of power back as well.
    Best of luck!
  3. ARCHIVED-Zephanor Guest

That's pretty much it. Keep your group power up and DPS your tail off!
    Obviously there are certain buffs and abilities we're expected to have but there are already threads here and elsewhere that discuss this in depth, check them out if you haven't already.
  4. ARCHIVED-Elf_Queen Guest

I noticed no one mentioned mezzing, Im leveling a baby illu myself now and am wondering when mezzing is needed or just annoying since AOE's and such won't hit them. I tend to use it when we get in trouble or over our heads but not just when we have a lot of mobs
  5. ARCHIVED-Kringus Guest

Ramonde wrote:
    Sure- in group, you keep up power and for some fights you mez stuff. An illy can also DPS as well enough- I've hit 70k on lord Bob (instance boss). Troub/illy groups blow stuff up.
    In Raid you never mez, but you definitely buff everyone's DPS, and do some damage yourself as well.
    Peace of Mind alone significantly increases group DPS- plus TC and Synergism on individuals, and Time Warp when timed right boosts things as well.
    As for power, use Mana Cloak as well as Mana Flow, you'll do better keeping the group up. And yeah once you get your myth clicky keeping up power gets easy.
  6. ARCHIVED-Zemizia Guest

Gems@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Mezzing used to be a very important ability, but nowadays most groups will just AoE stuff down and will just keep breaking your mezzes anyways. Sometimes you find an encounter where it's necessary (the last fight in Cella comes to mind if the tank is squishy, or not a lot of aoe dps for the adds).
  7. ARCHIVED-Citsade Guest

Mezzing is not as widely used as it used to be, but is still handy.

Examples: in Elements of War, I often mez the adds on the first named and 3rd named towards the end of the fight to focus on burning the named instead. I also often mez Terrin Bloodclaw, which is one of the named in the 2nd encounter so that the other 2 can be burned down without adds.
    In Tower of Tactics, towards the end of the fight on the last boss, you get a set of ^^ heroic adds which I will mez because the ^^^ adds can overlap and so we can burn the named down.
    In TOFS x2, there is a room with a bunch of heroic adds that split into x2 epic mobs and often an enchanter can lock down all the adds to avoid getting a hoard of epic mobs on the raid.
    In Spires in DoV, the 2nd to last named has 3 worm adds that a chanter often keeps mezzed so that they can be killed one at a time.

Sure may be some super uber HM geared groups can burn through ALL of this without the need of a mez, that is usually not the case with your typical PUG.
  8. ARCHIVED-Priam Pendragon Guest

Ramonde wrote:
    This is a great question, I wish the devs were asking it.
    We are supposed to be primarily mana regeneration and we do a fine job up to a point then fail miserably.
    Secondary support which is fine really, but not bard-like for sure.
    Thirdly DPS which I think we are pretty close to where we should be.
    Crowd control in raids is non existant so I didn't even prioritize it.
  9. ARCHIVED-dragonsbane24 Guest

I for one would like to get our 3 procs back on the mythical, running several of the HM fights our procs are not enough to keep the power flowing and our counterparts have the group mana flow as well as reducing power costs which imo is huge on the fights that you use xx% more power. In a fight where there is not a power drain IE hragold or huge power consumption effects Acriminae power is not a problem but in these fights I am feeling we are on the short end of the stick for mana savings.