What is done about botters?

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Surgeon, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Surgeon Active Member

I believe you missed the "without using programs against the TOS" part
    Soara2 likes this.
  2. Bodiddle Member

3. Ghostouls Well-Known Member

LOL In neither video can you see anyone actually at the keyboard, in front of the monitors, using the mouse, and actually playing and controlling each character separately. You just see what others see when people bot.

In the Wow video, you see a spread of video and keyboards and mice, but no one at them... so it still does not show anyone actually playing the game with 6 characters, controlling everything legit. You need to submit a video of the person actually playing the game behind the scenes at the desk, and video him actually controlling the 6 characters, one spell at a time.

Not saying it isn't possible just highly unlikely, that this many people have that much coordination do do such a thing LOL
    Bekkr and Breanna like this.
  4. NurmYokai New Member

Have to agree that there will never be a payment.

Here's the bet.

Here's how everyone can win the bet.

0. Don't use any third party software. No ACT, no non-EQ2 UI, no EQ2 macros. Nothing.
    1. Pick one of your level 110 DPS characters.
    2. Create 5 free level 100 characters on 5 different accounts. Have #1 invite all into a group. Use one computer and squeeze the 5 windowed instances onto one screen. Keep the window for #1 large enough to game.
    3. Mentor down to level 45.
    4. Turn on the film. Or do it earlier. At this point consider whether showing your mug online is worth winning the imaginary krono. Wait. There's no mention of showing yourself. Just streams them 6 boxing effectively. Watch Twitch streams. Many show live game video and voice-over only. Do that. Wait. Many show live game video only. Or do that. Showing live game play is called streaming.
    5. Take your gaggle to The Ruins of Varsoon and enter the Chamber of Immortality. Level Range 30-45. Does not have to be the Chamber of Immortality. Go pick a short old raid zone to get a trophy for your home. I do. I need a bigger place.
    6. Have the 5 free characters auto follow #1.
    7. Stand in the middle of the room and have #1 nuke every mob that appears. Every so often have the 5 do something.
    8. Loot every chest. Do I have to mention, when something dies?

Congratulations. Now try and collect those 6 krono.

Let's see how Merriam-Webster defines effective: producing a decided, decisive, or desired effect.

Yep, you got the desired effect. Getting loot.

Bet anyone a Quatloo that the excuses will continue?
  5. Rizzo Member

Is the offer still on the table?
    NurmYokai likes this.
  6. Mermut Well-Known Member

That's hardly playing 6 toons.
  7. Arieva Well-Known Member

What i dont get is the wishy washy policy of DBG regarding botters. There have been instances on live servers several years back where suspensions were given out when some got caught. That stopped several i know in their tracks. They knew if they got caught again they would lose the account. A few dumb ones continued and did.

This TLE launch they permanently banned a 13yr player that had never had a warning or suspension on any account associated with him. Yeah he was guilty and im not denying that but he'd been doing it for years through SOE who didnt seem to care. Had he been *suspended* i think he would have uninstalled the offending program and moved on without it..still being a loyal paying customer.

So my question is if DBG is going to adopt a zero tolerance policy on botting and permanently ban on first offenses..doesnt the playerbase deserve a statement regarding that? An email to every paid account that informs that a zero tolerance no warning shot policy is now in effect. Drunder is out..suspensions are out...and it should be enforced across all servers not just TLE. That would probably go miles towards actually stopping the practice and give fair warning to those still doing it thinking they'll get a suspension the first time they get caught. Because unfortunately a live server lost a good raiding member because no statement was made to that effect and while i have no love of botters..i believe they deserve fair warning that 13 year old account is at serious risk of being forever lost if they are caught now. Honestly to this player that came as a total shock.
  8. Xianthia Well-Known Member

Not being caught for years shouldn't mean they didn't know what could happen. I don't know the player you mention but in 13 years they probably saw the consequences. They didn't get caught and played with that advantage for however many years they got away with it (per your post, since SOE was at the helm, so quite a long time).

I do agree (if I'm understanding correctly) that the bans/suspensions should be equal across the board, but we aren't told how they deal with each individual player that breaks the rules or why one gets a suspension while other gets a ban. I assume that has to do with whatever they (DBG) investigates in the background before deciding on a consequence.

As to your last sentence, I can't wrap my head around cheating for years and being shocked at the consequences.

All that aside, they can reach out to CS/Devs and plead their case. You never know and it may be worth a shot.
    Siren and Mermut like this.
  9. Arieva Well-Known Member

I have encouraged him to do that but it's been several weeks since it happened so I don't think it's being fruitful at all on his end. And again I'm not saying that maybe it shouldn't have been deserved but after so many years of seeing people in the game botting and should they get caught they receive an initial suspension before permanent consequences is something that people consider when breaking rules. It is a lack of communication on daybreak games part if they aren't currently going by that model.

Someone that's doing it is going to assume that the same should apply to them. I've double and triple checked with this person that they have never had any kind of in-game trouble as far as cheating is concerned. About the worst ever happened was a temporary suspension from the forums for seemingly being "mean".

I personally like daybreak games more hard-headed approach to cheating. It was really annoying to me that Sony never did anything about it. But as someone who doesn't cheat (that i know of) the last thing I heard as far as official statement about what happens to me if I do get caught cheating is Drunder. Obviously that is not currently how they're handling this so I personally would like to know. Also am I breaking the rules if I group with a botter? How far are they going to take this. I just think they need to make an official company statement regarding this before live servers lose more population because of it.
  10. NurmYokai New Member

+1 Quatloo.
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hardly used to emphasize a minimal amount

A minimal amount is an amount. Hardly beating an opponent is a win.
    Fulfills the bet.
    I'd like to know too. Before The Rox shuts down the thread.
  11. Fulton Active Member

If its 1 guy controlling a group or 6 guys who cares..as long they arent afk campin mobs u need. Hell i considered it cause i couldnt find groups, but six subs, xpacs,and live in the game,noty lol. I cant keep one guy afloat let alone 6+ lol.
  12. Bentenn Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I'm Drof from Maj'dul and was one of the ones that had their account banned. Did I do it knowing and get caught, yes. Have I done it for 13 straight years of playing, no. The past 4-5 years I've taken it up to be able to run groups and get my stuff done, due to the mostly diminishing population of EQ2 and my play time being in the military. I never run open worlds, and 99% of the time only did instances. My tank (Korisa) handed out tons of no-trade shinies, gear, etc. I never boxxed, botted, whatever we want to call it today for simply cheating to my advantage. I did it to help my toons and I feed everyone else in game from guild mates to strangers in chat.. was always /free to first telling it to general.. /shrug it is what it is, but as stated by a few others in the thread, there has been wishy washy direction towards what happens. Do those that do it, which there still are very many on live lol, get suspended, drundered, or straight banned from here on out? I've reached out to the Devs and the answer is the same, sorry no go... I mainly wanted to put this out there for those that are still boxxing, because they may have very well changed their policies and you may be next. To sum it up.. Did i get caught boxxing, botting.. YES.. Did i get a warning...NOPE... did I know better.. Sure... are there still ones on live that they don't care about and even know they are boxxing.. YES.. It is what it is, but hopefully they will simplify what they really plan on doing and stick with it..
  13. Tommara Active Member

I don't bot despite having 3 accounts (because it's hard, and I suck).

Just wondering why it's an issue except for contested zones?

What's the last expansion to have contested zones that aren't solo-able?

That's not a rhetorical question. The last contested group zone I can remember is in the Velious era, and I've only played higher levels than that for a few months.

And if it's not a contested group zone, why does botting matter?
  14. Arieva Well-Known Member

Why it matters to me has to do more with little nit picks like meta collections these days seem to more geared towards botters than real players as far as completion. I've mostly moved on from that and just accepted they wont get completed. Years ago i cared about raid progression and those that were higher ranked often had botters. As someone who has struggled as a guild leader to keep real butts in the chairs...that was super obnoxious but im past caring about that now too.
  15. Pilarin Member

It doesn't. In your setup you had 1 level 110 and 5 level 100 mentored down to 45. Nobody can say that is effective.
  16. Bentenn Well-Known Member

This right here is just about right.. botters that sell shinies for millions of plat... that's cheating to benefit from others....i myself gave that stuff away, especially the NO TRADE ones.. that's cheating for benefiting others lol.. is what it is though...
  17. Surgeon Active Member

May I remind you that this thread is about TLE aka Kaladim in particular, where instanced areas are few and most worthwhile mobs are contested.
    Siren likes this.
  18. NurmYokai New Member

p
    +2 Quatloos

Merriam-Webster is America's most trusted online dictionary for English word definitions, meanings
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/effective
    1 a producing a decided, decisive, or desired effect

Killing a mob to get loot is a desired effect.

Oxford Dictionaries The World's Most Trusted Dictionary Provider
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/effective

1 Successful in producing a desired or intended result.

Successfully killing a mob that drops loot is a desired or intended result. Death and no loot is not an option.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/effective

1 adequate to accomplish a purpose; producing the intended or expected result

The purpose accomplished was killing a mob to get loot. Killing a mob to get loot is the intended or expected result. Boxing as described is adequate to get the job done.

Do I need to go on? Do you need to ask your sensei first?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. Explains much hellosirpleasecanihave.
  19. Bentenn Well-Known Member

True, but even still, lol as long as I'm not bothering anyone and doing anything really stupid then why does it really matter.
  20. Lorilie Member

there is a guy with 4 necros who sits at the x2 in ef for hours at a time, amazing because he will cast everything in unison and dont think anyone can take it because he amazingly tags it before it even renders for me anyway. this is on kaladim
    Cyrrena likes this.