What is done about botters?

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Surgeon, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Surgeon Active Member

They're everywhere.
    Do you plan on restricting botting or 6 account multiboxing?
    Soara2, Momo and Cyrrena like this.
  2. Dude Well-Known Member

All botting is against the EULA. Multi-boxing is not.
    Rizzo, Soara2, Bekkr and 6 others like this.
  3. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Saw one last night, could not tell you whether they were a boxer or a botter but they were named A, B, C, D, E, and F on Kaladim. And if I find out you are there Dude and you have not come and seen me I will give you a *Snarky Glare*.
    Breanna, Soara2, Dude and 1 other person like this.
  4. Momo Well-Known Member

Its difficult to say in cities, but when you see them out there, all starting to cast at the same time, you know they are botting. Once 6 people where saying the same thing at the same time in general chat, that availed them much laughter :p
    Breanna, Cyrrena and Soara2 like this.
  5. Dude Well-Known Member

Oh I'm on there. I'm Alpha, Bravo, Charley, Delta, Echo, and Foxtrot. Maybe you've seen me. :rolleyes:
    Breanna, Cyrrena, Tommara and 3 others like this.
  6. Momo Well-Known Member

ROFL :D
    Breanna, Cyrrena, Soara2 and 3 others like this.
  7. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

In EL running to Runnyeye!!! *gives Dude a Snarky Glare*
    Soara2, Breanna, Momo and 1 other person like this.
  8. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

Trying funkyimg.com. Guess it just works.:p

February 2019
    [IMG]
    Caith
    "We don't care if you box. Boxing a PvP server just means easy victims."
    "Botting is automation of any type, including key clone where 1 keypress sends commands to multiple clients."

[IMG]
    Caith
    "If 1 keypress is being cloned to each VM, yes."

[IMG]
    Hi
    "I am pretty sure any software solution that repeats or transmits your keypresses from one machine to another simultaneously is probably not kosher"

Caith
    "Pretty much. Though if we want to get broad strokes, anything that changes the gameplay can be considered against the TOS.

And analogy would be traffic laws however. No one is going to get all stressed about the fellow driving 1 mile over the speed limit.

So things like custom UI's, or ACT announcements are pretty much ignored.

I have banned plenty of people for botting on all servers. It really comoes down to a couple things. Biggest thing, we make sure to verify it's a real report. I cannot count how many people were reported as botting in beta, but only a couple proved to be accurate. There are unfortunately a lot of people that feel like they had to have been fighting against a cheater, because otherwise they would have won.

This isn't unique or special to any game, it's just a fact of competitive play. People's tempers get up, and they start seeing something that isn't always there."

You've timed it to a nanosecond (near instantaneous for humans) or below 180 milliseconds? Impressive.

Zildaren
    "from 120ms - 180ms"

Fast typists, I'm relatively slow at 100+? WPM, do appear to be doing key presses simultaneously (translating to actions) on screen.

And/Or my suggested methodology:

Hands on: How one mouse can control multiple PCs with Microsoft's Mouse Without Borders app

"Share one mouse and keyboard between multiple computers"

People who type fast are not the only keyboard manipulators.
    [IMG]

That's 88 keys times 2.

A standard keyboard has 101/104 keys. With macros and dedicated key presses, and ignoring little used spells, EverQuest II will only use a fraction of that.

Soara2 likes this.
  9. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

Doh

Knew I forgot something. You don't even need multiple keyboards and mice.

Soara2 likes this.
  10. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Before I was diagnosed with progressive MS in 2008. I could type 169 wpm with 0 errors. Now its only about 110 wpm with 0 errors on a good day.
    Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  11. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I was just grousing about my typing. I could do over 100WPM on a Dvorak keyboard, 85WPM on QWERTY. Now I have arthritis in my hands, and sometimes I have fat-fingered typing issues.
    Cyrrena, Soara2 and Breanna like this.
  12. hellosirpleasecanihave New Member

I'll give 6 krono to anyone that streams them 6 boxing effectively without using programs against the TOS

EQ2 is 15 years old and people have been saying they *legit* box for as long but not a single person does. The only legit boxers are people 2 boxing or maybe 3-4 with a troub/necro that just presses 1 key each fight
    Cyrrena, Soara2 and Sigrdrifa like this.
  13. Breanna Well-Known Member

I just blame the keyboard :) It's never my fingers fault always the keyboard. I have a bad habit of just sitting and staring at the screen waiting for it to do what I want it to do. I think it should be able to read my mind. Awwww the golden years they are great! :eek:
  14. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The key to doing legitimate boxing is setting up so that the Hotbar number, Ctrl+num, and Alt+num combinations for each character are composed as a set. So, when you press 1, the tank taunts, the healer wards, the toons that can debuff do that; press 2, tank attacks, healer heals, DPS attacks, etc. Just using the hotkeys, you have 36 possible sets of actions, which should provide for a range of activities. Not *my* cup of tea -- I have a hard enough time managing one toon!

Adding programmable mouse buttons and the EQ2-supported Logitech G19 keyboard opens up more macro possibilities, with pauses in the macros. I have a G19, and you have three banks of 12 macro keys (I prefer pushing my own buttons tho, because a long macro on the keyboard can't be interrupted, even if you have a sudden change in in-game circumstances).

Of course, you specified "effectively", but that doesn't define the circumstances. I expect that overland content is probably quite doable 6-boxing of the person has their stuff set up right. A complicated scripted fight, probably not so much.
    NurmYokai, Cyrrena, Siren and 4 others like this.
  15. Adoninilol Well-Known Member

They have software that can auto ban anyone modifying the client. It happened on Nagafen. Anyone with [redacted] open got banned in a wave on the first few days.

The only reason botters are around right now is because they want the revenue/don't care.
  16. Rebelde Active Member

@Caith

I have banned plenty of people for botting on all servers. It really comoes down to a couple things. Biggest thing, we make sure to verify it's a real report. I cannot count how many people were reported as botting in beta, but only a couple proved to be accurate. There are unfortunately a lot of people that feel like they had to have been fighting against a cheater, because otherwise they would have won.

Well, there are bots in live servers. I reported like 3 million times one of them, with screenshots and logs... and he is still in game with his 6 accounts.
    If you want more details, send me a PM. And you can say that you have banned plenty+1 people.
    I won't say the program he is using, because then, you delete my post (but don't send the cheaters to Drunder or just close the account $$$).
    Soara2 likes this.
  17. Medicinal Active Member

I can do up to 3 effectively. Tank, Healer, Chanter, all set up on 3 different computers (desktop and 2 laptops). I have the computers from trueboxing on EQ1. Tank gets played with the keyboard/mouse, healer and chanter get played through autofollow/assist and wireless number pads. Healer has 3 primary combat macros, one with the class specific heals, one with the direct heals and one with DPS (4 is usually emergency heals.) Chanter has 1 button with all their DPS on it. Button 2 is the group mez. Don't need to do much with the chanter other than that. I can handle the healer/chanter with my off hand and the tank with my dominant hand. It's not crazy efficient, but it gets blue stuff dead. (It gets me dead on a fairly regular basis too, but that is half the fun, figuring out what I can do.) It's all in how you set things up.
    NurmYokai, Soara2 and Cyrrena like this.
  18. Satyr Well-Known Member

Except on event servers botting is generally tolerated if they aren't disrupting zones. I know plenty of people who have been banned for doing things like training mobs on botters though :)
    Soara2 and Cyrrena like this.
  19. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I do not box either. The closest I would get is having two separate accounts logged in so I could guild invite a character from one account to the other. I have never been coordinated enough to ever actually run around in the world with more than one character and would not even think of attempting it. Just because I can type that fast does not mean I can mash meaningful game buttons that fast.
    Siren, Soara2, Rhodris and 2 others like this.
  20. Frogwarp New Member

ROTFLOL

You going to pay this guy?

Never seen one of those betting types pay. They always change the requisites.

Describe "effectively."
    Describe "streams."

Those who can't
    COMPLAIN.

Or watch boxing videos.

WOW WoW.
    Soara2 likes this.