What happened to my poor Merc?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Eberron101, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Dogwood Member

TLE was meant to be harder and have different rule sets than the main server. So it is naturally harder but we are talking about a server with mercs and depending on the class they are playing and the newer expansion playing without a merc is hard enough now factor in that merc getting nerfed. Not everyone wants hard game play.
    Juraiya likes this.
  2. Priority Well-Known Member

Then do easier content. Stop using the excuse that people might want easier content while complaining about not being able to do current content or heroic zones solo.

Mentoring is an option, mobs con 10 levels lower than yourself. There are plenty of options for those that want an easier game.
  3. Mountbatten Well-Known Member

Then get better at the game? Yeah, I know that's a snarky comment, but honestly I can't think of any other response. I was referring to people who are saying the game is "insanely hard" at lower levels. It is not. It just isn't. If you are trying to solo white-or-higher-con heroic mobs, then guess what, it's going to be hard because that content is meant for groups of 3 or more. Oh, so you can't get groups? Sorry, that is not an excuse to dumb everything down. Do what any reasonable person would do and wait until it cons green and then go do it. My point still stands. Maybe rather than try to bring everything down to the lowest common denominator, be a little more introspective and try to figure out what you need to do in order to overcome that adversity.
  4. Carynn Well-Known Member

One of the many troubles I see with the mercenary change is that there is a lack of ability for lower levels to get the Fabled mercs, as they're locked behind zone-level requirements. I'm surprised someone hasn't started a lawsuit against the company for false/misleading advertizing. Nowhere on their site does it list that the mercenaries you get as part of the CE/PE can only be obtained by a certain level.

I've always used mercs as a way to see heroic content while at level (below 100), which I normally wouldn't be able to do. AAs help, but it was nice to be able to simply *do* the old content and not stress about surviving.
    Juraiya, Pixistik and Tkia like this.
  5. Dristlin Member

Seams like this turned into a rant between those that like mercs to help them do things and those that think you should just solo without them or do lower level content.

Like it or not mercs are part of the game but to make them useless is really annoying to those that like them. Now I do not think they should be as good as a player but they should not feel useless. (the way they set the gear slot to the mercs level also discourages people from changing mercs.)

Playing a healer leveling solo can be tedious a merc for dps can help.
  6. Arclite Well-Known Member

Lol they completely neutered mercs from how they were on launch day. The premium inq merc was outparsing me and super aggressive to the point the target was dead before i engaged and actually cured fast so yes they can be made useful but now its back to the point where you really want them for the buffs they give. Purposefully designed of course for those wanting to min/max stats because there is no other reason to buy, upgrade or use them in any shape or form. Let's see the smirk on the faces of those moderating the forum ;).
  7. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

I did some checking on my army of mercs and did some comparisons using a lvl 48 guard in SS and POF, The "treasured" Werewolf we got as part of an expansion years ago has always been a strong healer and could hold its own in a good fight couldn't keep me alive when facing off with a 59^^^ ... thats 11 levels and before the adjustments he would have been able to keep me going..a long fight but doable.
    I compared him with a Fabled Monstrous Archon merc who had no trouble keeping me alive, and no trouble taking down the health of the mob.
    Its a small sample but after playing around a while with each of the mercs I came to the conclusion that if you want a merc that can contribute like a group, you're going to have to pay for it.
    Buy the merc crates NOW while they are on sale! you wont get another chance for a year.

Welcome to DBG 2021 ;)
  8. Dristlin Member

Problem is the merc crates are not right for every character. I typically want a healer on my dps for leveling, and a dps on my healers or tank that can hold my (healer) dps threat.

Mercs, are a leveling tool, they use to be good at it could keep you up for a level grind to get to currant content. I can understand not wanting them to be over powered at high levels but if they are not helpfull at leveling that can slow down peoples level grind. And wasting peoples time is not a good choice.
    Argosunited, Tkia and Juraiya like this.
  9. Dogwood Member

Please show me where I said that I wanted easier content? Where did I say i wanted to solo heroic zones?
  10. Dogwood Member

I am rather good at the game I have several level 120's I play. I never said i wanted a easier game? Please show me where i did. Most of your post is just assumptions. How would be making merc's more useful for a solo player that likes a easier play style hurting you? It doesnt affect your game play at all.
    Nickolous and Juraiya like this.
  11. Priority Well-Known Member

Where did I say YOU. You're the one making excuses for easier content
  12. Dristlin Member

I think people need to avoid making personal attacks. Last couple of posts seamed like veiled personal attacks.

Look at how mercs are intended to be used. Help low level go through old content that to reach current relevant content, and causal players go through solo instance and quest. They are not used for heroics and raids where the people looking for a challenge go. The game has more than one type of players, if you cattier to just one type you will loose the others.

They do not help in heroics, and raids where the elite players(people looking for a challenge) go.

To survive the game needs to be able to chatter to both casual players and elite players while attracting new players.

So making mercs bad and making causal play harder will drive away casual players.That will hurt the game. If the population gets to low the profit will not be in it. No profit and the servers will get shut down.

Fighting with people with different play styles creates a toxic environment that will drive away new players.
  13. Dogwood Member

You just verified it in this comment.
  14. Priority Well-Known Member

Maybe I should have quoted this comment too in response? Just to remind you of what you said. I underlined it for you.

15. Priority Well-Known Member

Maybe I should have quoted this comment too in response? Just to remind you of what you said. I underlined it for you.

16. Finora Well-Known Member

I believe that's hitting the nail on the head right there.
    They can kiss my rear though, while I enjoyed using mercs, I will not buy random crates in hopes of getting something useful

I don't 'need' mercs. I solo'd before they were around, they just made it faster/safer in some instances. Now healer mercs & pally mercs are just letting themselves get down to a sliver of health and only healing after the fight. What is even the point to that? I understand making treasured mercenaries weaker, but making them unfathomably stupid as well? I haven't given any of them a real thorough testing, just tooling around in Frostfell, but they were doing poorly in those so that certainly says something.
    Leonitas, Nickolous, Juraiya and 2 others like this.
  17. Mumrha New Member

I've found some sort of mercs list in the wiki. Is there a guide to know the strongers and to know which merc is better for what class?
  18. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The wiki needs to have some table or list somewhere categorizing the various mercenaries as Celestial, Fabled, Legendary, Treasured. The base stats are all pretty similar for all mercs. The big distinction before RoS was what spells they had exactly, and whether those spells are Master or Grandmaster.

With RoS, now mercenaries are sharing your stats, based on their quality. Celestial mercs share 80% of your stats, and each grade below that shares less, meaning they're weaker. I also haven't taken time to sit down and evaluate how merc gear affects the merc with stat sharing: do they even use the armor stats? If so, are they added to the shared stats, or what?

Maybe when I get bored the next time...
    Breanna likes this.
  19. Mumrha New Member

So it doesn't matter if the merc is a tank, dps or healer? Only matter if it's celestial?
  20. Bludd Well-Known Member

well tank dps healer determines the battalion buff and their own abilities
    Breanna and Sigrdrifa like this.