What exactly is Asset Preload?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Obladi of Lucan D'Lere, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Obladi of Lucan D'Lere New Member

I think I know what it may be, but I would rather know for sure than operation under an incorrect assumption, as we all know what happens when you assume....:rolleyes: Also, what is the best method of taking advantage of it? I am currently running a core i3 (8th Gen) with 20 GB of RAM on Win 10 Home 64 bit (seriously considering upgrading to Pro) and using an Optane 16 GB device with a 1 TB hdd, video is Intel 620 chipset (this is a budget laptop while I get things up and running). Thanks for any and all assistance.
  2. Obladi of Lucan D'Lere New Member

I'm a little confused. I have gotten almost 100 views, but no one can tell me what the asset preload actually does or what needs to be done to get the best advantage from it?
  3. Bludd Well-Known Member

are you using the streaming client?

anyway asset preload is probably the game loading assets (models, textures, objects) into memory from disk
  4. Balcerak Well-Known Member

Breanna and Bludd like this.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

"Preloading Assets" means that the game is loading up all the files it needs to render the scene where your toon is going to pop into the world.

Do you have DirectX 9.0c installed? Newer versions won't do it, EQ2 has to have THAT one specific Direct X version, even if you have whatever came with Win10.

The direct Microsoft download page for DX9.0c is at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=34429

If you have Win10,you will probably need to use http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109 instead.
    Breanna likes this.
  6. Avithax Well-Known Member

This is countered by "sitting around on your assets" which is what you do for 5 minutes every time you zone.
  7. Obladi of Lucan D'Lere New Member

Thank you for answering, all of you. I have the full versions of DX installed. I'm not streaming, I have the full download installed, and I am running Win 10 64 bit on 20 GB of RAM. I was mostly curious because of the apparently huge amount of assets the game says it is trying to preload (24,171 M) which is a bit larger than my current installed memory. I have an Optane controller installed, and so I am not too concerned about load times.