What does double cast affect?

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by Mindsway, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Mindsway Well-Known Member

Is it only spells? Do combat arts that were changed to spell damage, are those affected? How about the added damage to taunts from Ancient Advance? Ascension spells themselves? Damage procs? How does one find out on ACT again if something landed as a double cast? Does it differentiate somehow between spell DC and (the far more rare) ability DC?

Some of these questions I've asked elsewhere but I wanted a comprehensive thread for it. Thanks, everyone, for your help.
  2. Hash Member

Spell Double Cast effects all spells (excluding heals but including ascensions).
    Ability Double Cast effects nothing right now, but is suppose to effects all Combat Arts. However, since the release of PoP and there being little to no ADC found on gear... it is virtually pointless. Thus, progenerates the great divide between melee and casters classes.

Also, helpful is to know the conversions rates and caps for Castings Speed into Spell Double Cast.

Casting Speed conversion to Spell Double Cast -
    100% = 50% casting time reduction ; doublecast conversion starts
    200% = 50% casting time reduction ; 7.5% doublecast chance
    400% = 50% casting time reduction ; 15% doublecast chance
    600% = 50% casting time reduction ; 22.5% doublecast chance
    800% = 50% casting time reduction ; 30% doublecast chance
    1100% = 50% casting time reduction ; 37.5% doublecast chance

So, as you can see the disparity between increasing SDC and ADC is fairly massive!
    Mindsway likes this.
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

Actually Ability Double Cast affects everything.... but the mobs (in instances) have more Ability Double Cast avoidance then we can get Ability Double Cast, so the stat is effectively useless.
    Daalilama and Karsa like this.
  4. Karsa Active Member

But if you have a friendly Elementalist friend, one of their 11-15 ascension abilities will boost your Ability Double Cast for small of time o_O
  5. Hash Member

So, it’s even worse than I thought it was. There seems to be a lot of confusion on what exactly Ability Double Cast effects. Spell Double Cast seems obvious, but if what you are saying is correct (I am not doubting you) then in theory casters could potentially Triple Cast their spells? Of course, this assumes the encounter isn’t negating your ADC stat to begin with. It would be nice if we could get an official explanation of the effects and differences between these two stats, as it seems there had been a long running debate of exactly what they do.
  6. Mermut Well-Known Member

Yes, that is it exactly. Ability double cast works on spells, combat arts, and taunts (but not heals). In theory mages could triple cast.
    Mindsway likes this.
  7. Mindsway Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone. I ran some parses on my zerker and noticed on ACT's special attacks report that Ancient Advance (damage added to taunts), one CA that I don't remember, and of course ascensions all DC'd. Well ACT doesn't list them that way, they just call it multi attacks but still. Seeing as a lot of tanks use ascensions for agro these days it sounds like it's worth using even if you're not an SK or Pally.

I saw on a guildie's report that his Dragonfire was multi-attacking about 44% of the time, and his DC is only 30-something so I wonder if it has some inherent DC in it (which would explain why it does so much damage). Now am I wrong about the special attacks report showing DC, am I misinterpreting that somehow?
  8. Ogdinmar Active Member

Spell DC effects taunts, they are considered spells on the base level, though are governed by Agression. it also effects other random abilities that are governed by CA modifiers but are considered spells as far as Spell DC is concerned.