What do you think is the most profitable tradeskill?

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Kursa, Feb 25, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Kursa Guest

I think
    1. Provisioner
    2. Sage
    Any ideas? Rebuttals?
  2. ARCHIVED-Kursa Guest

P.S. I know this has been mentioned already but Im really bored with the flu :(
    Also, the last topic was almost a year ago. Just interested in seeing some varioous answers
  3. ARCHIVED-Jhaerel Guest

Provisioner? You can't be serious " width="15" height="15">
    I have a provisioner and a sage, and on a per item basis, the sage is far more profitable. I can make more crafting one item on the sage than I could by crafting 100 items on the provi. And it really for me comes down to a profit per combine thing, because if I have an hour to craft, and I can craft 50 items (100 for a provi, 2 per combine), I'd rather be crafting those items on a high profit per item basis.
    Personally, I think Jeweller and Armorsmith are good at turning a profit... Jeweller is easier to level up because they get the scout CA's, and they can make items that can be used by all the classes, so they are in higher demand. Sage's items are generally for a single class per item, so they can take longer to sell... On the other hand, if you keep a good variety of spells in stock they will sell consistently. Armorsmith's mastercrafted items sell for quite a hefty profit per item (50 to 80 gold profit for each T8 Incarnadine piece, for example). Armorsmith will take longer to level up though, they get less items to make first-time pristine per level.
    In addition, both jeweller and armorsmith can make a lot more adornments than a sage can, and you will see good profit from them in the highest tier. Make them a transmuter (and suffer the pains of leveling that) and you will make good coin!

Jh!
  4. ARCHIVED-KerowynnKaotic Guest

The Harvester.
    from 1cp to 7p for an hours worth of work.

edit add: I'd just like to note that as I hit the submit on that post. I harvested up a rare on my alt computer
  5. ARCHIVED-Kursa Guest

Jhaerel wrote:
    lol, actually I am. I have made several hundred plat from it so far and take a gander at the most wealthiest players

But illt ake a look at armorsmithing and Jewelry
  6. ARCHIVED-Skivley101 Guest

Kaisha@Permafrost wrote:
    Was it a root?
    Id aggree with the harvester thing .... But really its not about wich profession, its more about business sense and dedication.
  7. ARCHIVED-Jhaerel Guest

I didn't know harvester was an option for this discussion
    I tend to agree on this one to some extent... Harvesting can be extremely profitable... I was harvesting in KP the other day, two one-hour sessions, and pulled up four silicate loams. On Najena, they are worth about 3 to 4p per loam. 16p+ for 2 hours of work, not to mention you can usually pick up some high value blinkies in the process? Easy profit. Of course, that's not normal... in that same time I didn't pull up a single other rare... I'm just lucky!
    Unfortunately, I can't sell them, need them for T8 CA's for my assassin

Moshek/Jhaerel
  8. ARCHIVED-KerowynnKaotic Guest

Skivley101 wrote:
    Actually, it was an Acryila. 1 down and 29 more to go. I need 30 in a room design I'm playing with.
    Though, when I went back to this computer's harvesting I did harvest up 3 rare roots between my last post and this one .. T6 rare root.
    And, it's ALL about business sense and dedication. The Tradeskill that makes the most money is the one in which "YOU" put the most effort into.
    ("you" being whoever .. )

Kursa: I, too, am bored and mirserable with the Horrible, HORRIBLE, OMFGHORRIBLE flu ..
  9. ARCHIVED-Lasai Guest

If you look at profit per combine, in the long run provisioner has the best profit potential, that is, assuming people are making actual products to sell rather than pounding out nonexistant combines for a writ NPC. Provies can actually make product to sell while leveling. Provies have no real competition from loot or quest based rewards and sell a consumable product unrestricted by class.
    Factoring in Rare combine sales for other professions is only valid if you ignore opportunity cost and profit, rare book and raw cost, and labor under the assumption that time spent gathering is somehow "free", as time is the only commodity we actually pay for. Other trades make thousands of valueless combines leveling compared to the sales of MC products, and, they have to be desireable MC. You can make something like pikes forever and never see a sale, MC Rare combine or not.
    And again, I expect to be pilloried for saying this.
  10. ARCHIVED-Kursa Guest

Kaisha@Permafrost wrote:
    ugghh I feel your pain
    This week I have been diagnosed with Acute Bronchitus, Pnemonia, and Influenza A. Bah I really really REALLY hate the winter.
    Really bad.
  11. ARCHIVED-Ogrebear Guest

If you have a ton of time to craft and harvest provioners can make you a lot of money. On my server some of the 5 hour food and drink can sells at 5gold each (it cost 4 gold to make 2 so that a 6 gold profit).

Now if you don't have a lot of time carpenters, and spell makers tend to make a lot of money. Most of there common crafted items barely sell for face value but one mastercrafte items can sell for 1-5 plat.
  12. ARCHIVED-Nimbrithil Guest

Transmuter T8 hands down. Even better when combined with oputer tradeskill classes.

After that I would say Provi as well. BUT I dual box so while I am oput harvesting on my main account my provi is in the kitchen getting the crap beat out of herself making combines wiht no input from me and not being able to counter the crrafting effects but ussually gets pristine anyway but sometimes only gets 3 bars
  13. ARCHIVED-Belaythien Guest

Provisioner? That made me chuckle .

If you do not factor in time (read: bot), provisioners are profitable. Provisioning is a heaven-sent for botters: a sheer endless amount of cheap supplies and you don't have to think twice about what you do. A botter can load up on a few strongboxes of raws and go afk for days. Doesn't matter if they only make a gold per combine.

If you actually craft food/drinks yourself, it's a waste of time, in my opinion. I don't even craft my own food (as a lvl 80 provisioner) anymore, let alone sell some. Profit of literally a few silver or 1-4 gold per combine is not worth my time. Though I recently discovered portable crafting equipment to be somewhat entertaining when taking breaks in groups or raids :D.

Here's the situation on my server (I just checked again to be sure): 5 hour food/drinks sell for 2,5g-4,5g each. That is 5-9g per combine. The higher priced stuff uses more expensive harvested resources like prawn. Profit is around 1-4g per combine. The average seems to be more towards the lower end.

With rare recipes from other tradeskills, I can craft 2-4 items and make a whole evening's worth of profit of my provisioner. One of these items equals 20 combines of the "high 4g profit" provisioner stuff. I can still make the same amount of money and actually enjoy doing other things than grinding stacks and stacks of low value food.

I'm not saying you are using a bot! I'm saying either prices are so fundamentally different across servers that provisioning is somehow actually profitable out there; or you just don't value your time enough :D.
  14. ARCHIVED-Besual Guest

Belaythien wrote:
    Dito, buying food / drinks and use the time saved adventuring / harvesting rares will yield more coins in my pockets.
  15. ARCHIVED-Whysprr_Wyrd Guest

Nimbrithil wrote:
    I know it's a bit off-topic, but I'm not sure I've figured out a working business model as a T8 transmuter. What're you doing to make it #1 in profit?
    Whysprr
  16. ARCHIVED-Terron Guest

For me it is woodworker.
    I made loads on invis totems after RoK came out.
    I am still making a decent profit on them and selling them in volume, but now harvesting tools are my biggest earner.

My Jeweler makes more per combine using rares, but they do not sell at the same rate.
  17. ARCHIVED-VolgaDark Guest

woodworker for sure
  18. ARCHIVED-Skivley101 Guest

Terron@Splitpaw wrote:
    Ah ha ... So your the guy I bought all those totems off in 1 broker visit.
    **snicker** Ive still got like 25 of em, Had twice that though.
  19. ARCHIVED-Drash Guest

It's difficult for me to gage which of my crafters is the most profitable. I'd like to say Tailor, Jeweler, Weaponsmith, and Armorer, in that order. They all make decent money because I make and sell mostly mastercrafted items, and, because I don't [usually] buy rares (I use the extra ones that I harvest), I generally beat the socks off the competition on my server.
  20. ARCHIVED-DocFlareon Guest

I never buy rares, nor do I sell the ones that I harvest. What my toons can not use, I craft into items for the market.