What do these colored outlines around mobs mean?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Mysstie, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Mysstie Well-Known Member

See picture:

[IMG]

Why does that "an umbral fathomlurker" have a green outline around it. I'm sure it's explained somewhere. Other mobs will have a different outline color and some none.

Thanks,
  2. Tetrol Well-Known Member

I am not really sure, but will hazard a guess.

I think I read somewhere that there are abilities (racial perhaps) to see an aura that tells you the subclass of mobs - eg healers might have the green aura seen here.

Aura Sense Shows a glow around magical beings. 2 hrs., recast 2 sec.
    this is form Wiki, under innate abilities of Erudites - might be available on gear perhaps
    Gulaep likes this.
  3. ColbyJack Well-Known Member

Yep, you've got aura vision on, be it racial or gear.
    Healers are green outlined, casters are blue outlined. Works on player characters, too, not just mobs.
  4. Mysstie Well-Known Member

Hmmm.. I'll have to check out my gear then and debuff myself to see what might be doing it. I'm a Woodelf, so. Also need to check without my merc in case it's doing something.

I don't mind it, I'm just curious what is making it happen.
  5. Feldon Well-Known Member

I believe it's just a cool graphical effect. Mobs have had it since TSO.
  6. Smite Active Member

I'm interested in obtaining an item that grants aura vision. I'm curious as to which item is causing this as well.
  7. Gulaep Well-Known Member

I forget the name of it but there is one or two Tinkered goggles that provide this, you can get it for dirt cheap too!
  8. Mitze Member

It means that the mob specializes in giving out free heart warming hugs. "Aura Vision" grants the player to see magical beings like Mages and Prieats. Mobs with an outline of blue are Mages while mobs with green outlines are Priests. Erudites have this as a racial trait but other races can grab the tinkered made gadget called Thaumatoscopic Goggles but you need to be L.65 to use. If you enjoy leveling a Coercer that uses Charmed mobs, this is a great ability to quickly find Mage mobs to command.
  9. Mysstie Well-Known Member

I took off all my adv gear, removed all buffs and still saw them. Don't have those goggles. So, must be an innate ability due to race or some AA thing which I couldn't tell what might have been it. Wiki doesn't mention it as a race thing so I have no idea LOL.

Oh well. :)
  10. Ranger209 New Member

There is also a targeting feature that allows you to outline your target, the target encounter, I think maybe even implied target, could be that. I see it is the mob you have targeted.
  11. Finora Well-Known Member

It could just be a 'feature' with these particular mobs.

Like the named mobs in Fens of Nathsar being all sparkly and stuff.

It does look an awful lot like the aura vision I have as a mystic. Green for priest mobs, blue for mage mobs. Scouts & fighters get no outline, but I can't say if that's what's going on with these since I've been an adventuring slacker with ToT and only done crafting stuff thus far there.
  12. Rainmare Well-Known Member

it's not aura vision. if it was, all 3 mobs would have it. it's a graphic/glitch thing, usually on flying creatures like the squid. it's just something that happens on occasion.
  13. Mysstie Well-Known Member

The squids and cepholex models don't do this in the overland zone of Thalumbra. I only notice it really in the Kralet Palumbra adv solo zones.
  14. Rainmare Well-Known Member

it's just a glitch though. the only thing that might do that is Aura vision, and if that was on, then all 3 of those mobs would have an outline.
  15. Mystfit Well-Known Member

Do we know it's a glitch and they aren't just *fancied up* for the dungeons?