What charms are good now?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Arieste, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Arieste Well-Known Member

Started playing my warlock again, still have my AoM charms - EV and and the Noxious Focus one.

What effects are working out well these days?
  2. Thand Well-Known Member

3. Regolas Well-Known Member

4. Arieste Well-Known Member

i'm aware. i was more looking for an informed opinion than a list of possible options. Hence the question "What charms are good?" as opposed to "what charms exist?"
  5. Naneeje Well-Known Member

Currently, from the Pools or Highhold raid, there is one called "Jake's Jolly Jack".
    This awesome charm gives you 40 seconds every 2 minutes of some awesome potency, 125%, PLUS it gives 2.8% over the 40 seconds... so that gets up there quite a ways.
    The other charm is the EV upgrade, Vigor II. This is your basic consume more power, but get more BASE potency! Pretty nice.

Also, don't forget you can get for under 300pp on AB the Totem of the Draconic Miscreant. It's an older charm and there is an expensive upgrade, but it's 20% potency plus other buffs for 12 seconds, it's a hot bar click so you only need it in your bags and have a spot on your hot bar to click.

That's what I got for you.
    Good luck and have fun!
    Nan
  6. Vasco Active Member

Anyone seen a scale of sontalak upgrade yet?
  7. Eles Well-Known Member

yes, sontalak has a nice update too. Well, for any good charms just get any incremental for Potency or Crit bonus or Both at the same time for certain amount of time. Doesn't matter if you don't have the skills, the proc jewerly will boost your dps and damage output. Check the post of Koko about itemization.
  8. Vasco Active Member

Well that's koko opinion and in my opinion, what he said is wrong. Not to mention this is a thread asking about charms, not a query for an asinine opinion.
  9. Koko Well-Known Member

Before anyone else takes my words out of context:
    The charms I listed in that thread were "powerful" charms that did not involve annoying math
    Mogrim chose charms that were also powerful, but did did involve annoying math
    To determine which charm is "better" we're going to have to do some annoying math
    So here is how to do some annoying math. You kill something and record everything (CB, P, EncDPS, etc. with respect to time). Then you repeat this until you are confident that you have reliable averages (no weird outliers).

THEN you extrapolate the EncDPS gains of the temp clicky vs. the static effect (at the chosen interval). That is a lot of annoying math, furthermore its subjective to the individual player. I avoided using temporary effects in my itemization complaint thread for this reason.

I made a series of tools that facilitate doing really annoying math (see spreadsheets in signature). However keep in mind that it is annoying to perform and the results will be subjective.

P.S. If I were to state an item was superior compared to another another, it'd be backed up by a lot of annoying math.
    Eles likes this.
  10. Arieste Well-Known Member

Can you be more specific? He has like 8 billion posts about itemization and that's just in the last week.

Everyone is arguing about who's right or wrong, very few people have actually provided an answer to the question. (and i appreciate those that did).

For the most part, i see that virtually all the top Sorcerors (focus on locks) are using a Salvo Charm as the first charm. The second varies widely, so i'm guessing there is no consensus. I'd still like some ideas. I've seen a couple of Tarinax charms, but i can't get that, so options OTHER than that :)
  11. Vasco Active Member

I run salvo and the new group charm from HH. New charm in a group of 6 with everyone running it will give everyone 360 cb/pot! Supplement that with mana feeders and you can run those charms for well over a minute.

To be honest here.... Linear regression analysis is not annoying math. Hell I love the stuff, statistic is fun, it's like a Gee, I'm a tree course. Annoying math. That would be Linear Algebra, Fourier, complex analysis now those are annoying math. Again my opinion. Nowhere is this a stated fact nor written in the dictionary.
  12. Arieste Well-Known Member

Which HH charm? I only see \aITEM -1454475065 -646732902:Salted Chain of Elemental Focus\/a on the HH loot table. or you mean raid hh?
  13. Vasco Active Member

Tome of Vivacious power. Sorry I'm at work and my iPad can't copy the link correctly.
  14. Koko Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll explain why I consider it annoying math.

I consider any math that involves tedious, but not complex, calculations to be annoying.
    e.g. Calculate the EncDPS returns of gaining 5k ability modifier (some skills are already @ cap, others are not)
    This answer is time dependent on the # of skills cast per unit time that are not at cap and the user's critical bonus*
    *(we're neglecting outsourced damage proc'd by other players and % modifiers based on health, jewelry..etc. see, annoying) *edit* I made a spreadsheet solely to do this because it was so annoying!

I consider the charms/necklace Mogrim used to be annoying. For example, The Finisher II necklace was assumed to have an "average" of some value of potency on the assumption that health > 50% = health < 50%. Is this assumption true? Just by using the Finisher II (holding all else constant) we know that more damage will be dealt below 50%, but is it "mostly" true? What about assassin % hp blanket modifier/skills? What about the ranger counterpart? What about the skill rotations of every player in the raid? Do we consider deity spells thrown at the last few %? How about ramping effects from uplifting jewelry which will modify all out going damage? This is a lot to consider, and more importantly will vary from encounter to encounter. This makes the item very difficult to compare with other dissimilar items.

Likewise the charm clickies are comparatively annoying as they are transient effects. Mogrim mentioned that a given spell rotation is 50% of his EncDPS. Is this true for all warlocks for all encounters? It could be, but likely not. We could use Matlab or another iterative solver to "find" the best skill rotation for a given encounter, but we must ask ourselves is that information useful? Is it mechanically possible to input the commands provided lag? What if we fat finger or our device doesn't register an input? We could send the packets to the server directly without the client (might get banned!), but what if somethings changes...is it good to be able to adapt? etc. This number is highly subjective to the player and the encounter, and is essentially meaningless.

That said, I called him out and got the expected response. His item selection was amongst the best approaches available, and I applaud him for recognizing it.
  15. GIndotto Well-Known Member

AoM basically continued all the charms from ToV, even in raid we're seeing the same drops (Growing Power \ Criticals, Bell Tolls, Salvo etc). The nice thing about the charms between expansions is the ToV ones are still very much usable, they just lack ~2% cb \ pot and some stamina, which isn't the end of the world when you're talking alts.

Basically, anything you recall being good in ToV is still viable, as there are no new secret OMGWOWZER charm-effects that I've seen so far, heroic or raid.
  16. Vasco Active Member

Has anyone use this http://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/452081949 in raid? I had it sitting in my bag for ages and almost sharded it tonight until I reread the description and realized that this is a beefed up version of the bell tolls.
  17. Feldon Well-Known Member

Is it worth the hotbar space for a clicky that makes your next hit do ONE additional 800k hit that cannot crit or be modified by potency, etc.?

This is why I don't see myself getting rid of http://eq2.me/i/Aerakyn Novelty Card any time soon. For 18 seconds, it makes you awesome. Not 1 attack. But I'm probably not understanding the math at work here.
  18. Foretold Well-Known Member

I'm running Spiteful Archaic Idol (Salvo III) and Vigorous Geode of Igneous Diversity (EV II) on my warlock. Both seem to do the trick quite well. Profile in signature if you want to take a look :D

IMHO, anything that increases CB and/or Pot is what I want, that goes for jewelry as well.
  19. Vasco Active Member

The thing is it's just not just your next hit that proc it, the whole entire raid will proc it. So it'd be 24 procs every minute for a full raid. This charm isn't a selfish charm, it's a charm that enhances the whole raid.
  20. Feldon Well-Known Member

And how in the world is anyone supposed to know that this proc works that way?

Not only does it make no mention that it's applicable to anyone else besides the caster, but it specifically says "Grants a total of 1 trigger of the spell."