Well Pooh!

Discussion in 'Quests and Seasonal Events' started by Almee, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Almee Well-Known Member

I have participated in a number of Tinkerfest PQs with mixed results. Don't get me wrong, I love the PQs but they do have some problems.

Tonight, I got robbed of my rewards for the 3rd and 4th times. Around the beginning of the Tinkerfest PQs I had two toons, on separate occasions, not get a reward despite getting thrown in the air several times, working hard to destroy the towers, and attacking the main mob who also killed my toons for hitting him.

Then, tonight, I had two toons get caught in lag spikes, due to the high number of players with mercs, familiars, pets, etc., who converged for a CL2 event. Apparently the server had problems handling the crush and by the time my characters were able to move again the event was over and we didn't get any reward.

This was the first time that particular problem happened to me. I've sometimes experienced lag spikes, here and there, but never one that lasted 10 minutes with only brief moments when it seemed like the server was trying to catch up.

I'm not sure there is an answer to the problem since I don't know what caused it. I don't even know if I was the only one affected though it seemed like there were still people in the raid when I left it. I might add that this was the only time I actually joined a raid group so maybe that had something to do with it. In the future I will do the PQ without joining a raid.

I would mind so much except there are only a couple of days left and I was hoping to get a familiar or two. I have one character who has managed to get two but everyone else is still trying.
  2. The_Real_Wurm Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles, the lag on our server has been horrible the last couple of days. Makes me wonder if people are still DDOSing DBGs.

One tip I can give you is not to attack anything during the PQ except the pillars, you can not damage the named.

One does not need to attack the named, one does not need a mercenary, and only the pillars need to be dropped during the PQ.

Also stay away from Kerser (the big flying bot) he will hit you if you get in range.
    Prissetta and santargria like this.
  3. santargria Well-Known Member

While I've experienced a few crashes (mostly in Common lands), and lost connection once or twice, I was able to relog in and get my reward without issue.

Not sure why people are joining raids for the Tink Fest PQ's it's not necessary and AFAICT it does no extra damage or serve a purpose.

I've seen shouts from players to use Lightning only attacks on the mobs and again AFAICT it does nothing, nada, zip!

As The_Real_Wurm mentions, you just need to focus on the towers, and when they go down run to the MOB - that's the only way it takes damage.

One trick I've learned from this PQ is on the last seconds of the mob ready to return to Maldura or the others just as the mob is about to die, get up in the air quickly if you can (I think the one in KP is very difficult to get in the air so you have to swim top the shore) - he won't knock you clear across the zone and you'll get the popup "Accept" for the reward.

The lag on Skyshrine, I've not noticed to be any worse during the PQ's than any other time myself.

Over all, having now experienced 5 PQ's, I'm really liking them - they are popping at a decent rate so you can get in a few during a play session and I've gotten a few decent rewards and now even a few familiar cages which I haven't even opened yet.

Good stuff all in all for me
    Prissetta likes this.
  4. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

One detail I have noticed is the massive amounts of graphics interaction from the TinkerFest Public Quests themselves.
    My friends and I have also experienced crashes to the point of, in addition to using the /combat_filter 1 command, also putting our graphics to Extreme Performance.
    These changes helped ALOT in terms of stability.
    {note: the /combat_filter is NOT persistent, so it needs to be used from a macro because of its frequency of need/use}
  5. Almee Well-Known Member

I was on Maj 'Dul when I had problems with the Tink PQs. I didn't realize the combat filter wasn't persistent so I'll keep that in mind and make a macro.

I know about not hitting the mob as long as pillars are up. Today the problem has been having the game tell me that I'm too far away from the pillar to hit it with certain spells despite the fact that I'm right on top of the pillar. Just another weird glitch I guess. Like the last time, there were more people than usual in the PQ when that happened.

In spite of these hiccups I've been able to get a few PQs done on several characters. I still haven't gotten a familiar but I imagine they are a fairly rare drop. I'll just have to keep trying to do as many Tink PQs as I can in the time left.
  6. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

indeed.
    the two pillars closest to the river in Antonica I think exist UNDER the ground, so even when one is standing INSIDE of the illusory pillar, one is still advised they are "too far away."
    Prissetta, Hexalobular and Shmogre like this.
  7. Almee Well-Known Member

Thanks Ceyarrecks. I'm glad to hear the "too far away" wasn't something I was doing wrong.
  8. Hexalobular Well-Known Member

Don't hit the boss at all, it does no good what-so-ever and may even interfere with the ability of the player the boss has targeted to drag the boss to the area where the electromagnetic field is building (assuming the player that is targeted for the EMF isn't at the boss).
    The only way the boss takes damage at that stage is by being in the EMF.
    And the bombs in the second stage. (Though that damage goes away at the start of the last stage but is needed to get there.)
    So just huddle round and step on his toes as soon after the pillars go down as you can.

Preferably, the players should go from pillar to pillar as a group so everybody ends up at the same place when the last pillar goes down, but that's not likely to happen.
    santargria, Prissetta and Shmogre like this.
  9. Hexalobular Well-Known Member

That was my thunk as well.
    Though since the "nameplate" seems so high up it could be high up in the air instead.
    Occasionally I have trouble targeting them as well, that seems to mostly be the NE one though.
    Though I mainly have problems with the NW one, I don't even bother with it cause I can hardly ever do any damage to it.
    The SW one can be "too far" when I first get to it but standing inside it or moving to the other side always seems to do the trick.

I'm very relived to hear it's not just me, though the fewer people with the problem the better of course, both for them and in general.
    I'm working on my sixth Familiar and today was the first time I heard that anybody else had problems with it, first an in-game shout and now this thread.
    santargria, Prissetta and Shmogre like this.
  10. Shmogre Well-Known Member

Yup, it's not just you. The "Too far away" message on the Antonica pillars is one of the battles the brave folks of Test fought for us (along with many others).

(You can see what they went through to help Chrol and Kaitheel refine the PQ in the thread on the Testing subforum. It's pretty impressive, a lot went into it on both sides.)
    santargria and Prissetta like this.
  11. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Has anyone else experienced their character camping as soon as they finish crafting and possess the attack bot? This is happening on two of my toons. Chrol could not duplicate it, and believes it is a UI issue (I use DarqUI). Reverting to the standard UI did stop the camping, but I'm not willing to use it all the time.

However, other toons on the same account and also using DarqUI are NOT camping. Anyone? Anyone at all?
  12. santargria Well-Known Member

No but one that does occur for me is sometimes I am unable to camp after doing the PQ - says something like "You must be able to sit" or something like that.

I have to recall out to camp

I also get the "far away" message for some of the pillars and they can be a pain to target sometimes - heck, I played Vanguard for so many years, these minor bugs don't even phase me LOL!
    Prissetta likes this.