Week of Giving: Memorial Park

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Mythical House Item, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Mythical House Item Well-Known Member

[IMG]

Hi! I'm Kim, aka D20. Every year I do a charity event on my Birthday and Veteran's Day for the Wounded Warriors Project. This is a very special charity for me, for those that don't know me, as my husband was in the military when he passed away. I am grateful for those who have served, or currently do serve, and their families. So, I would like to invite you to join me this week as I do a bit of fund raising for this amazing group.

On my (big 44!) birthday, Friday 12 April starting at 11a PST, I will be doing a live build of a Memorial Park in one of my Prestige Homes on the traditional live server of Maj'Dul. I will not be ending the stream until I've completed the build and published it on the leaderboards, where it will remain permanently.

It will have dedication plaques if anyone would like someone whom has served remembered, and will be published at the end of the build, You need only reach out to me with their Name, Rank, Branch of service, and a short message if you have one to be put on the plaque house item.

You don't have to wait until Friday to donate, nor do you have to watch the stream (but I sure would love the company for my birthday). You can make a donation until Saturday, 13 April, HERE and/or come hang with me on stream HERE.
  2. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

This is very kind, giving, and heartfelt of you, and I wish you great success. My nephew-in-law (former I guess) did 2 tours in Iraq, only to return to the states and pass from a heart attack in 2015 at the ripe old age of 33, he was a Sgt in the US Army, it still breaks my heart.
  3. Mythical House Item Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. It's never easy to lose anyone. I will happily add him to the Wall of Honor that I will be building in the home, if you don't mind? I can simply put "Nephew of Cyrrena" as his name.
  4. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

His name is Sean Michael Chrisman. I still cannot say was. Thank you, that would be lovely.
  5. Mythical House Item Well-Known Member

I understand, it's been barely ten years since I lost my husband and our son. We just picked him up from base after he returned from his fifth tour in Iraq, only for them both be killed by a drunk driver while crossing the street together. I cannot say was easily either, I still get choked up.
  6. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

In addition to making direct donations, does your plaque dedication cover Burynai whom also served in the U.S. Army Signal Corp having been deployed to the first Gulf War, and are permanently disabled?
  7. Mythical House Item Well-Known Member

Of course!
  8. Breanna Well-Known Member

OMG that is horrible to hear. My heart goes out to you and your loss, both of you. This is a very lovely and honorable thing to do, it's awesome.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I had a dad and uncle (his older brother) both in WWII, of all things (ah, Mom and Dad met, ah, very late in both their lives...yeah, that's it...); Corp. Clark (Uwk's Unk) was in Asia while Pvt. Earl (Uwk's Dad) was in Europe. There's a family story that Unk was involved with Iwo Jima, but I personally think he came in just afterwards (I doubt he was a Marine, with that rank) to help hold down the fort; he generally spent most of the war on military bases, guarding the whiz kid eggheads who were working on highly classified stuff. :D

Dad's eyesight was so abysmal, even back then, they wouldn't take him for the Army Air Force (they didn't separate until after the war), or for an artillery unit, so he got a rifle and could march ("Yay... :-/")! :D He missed D-Day, but was there for the Battle of the Bulge in December of '44. He always said it was an interesting way to spend the winter hols: "Butt-deep in snow, 20 degrees below zero, getting shot at. ;->"

He always had a ton of war stories he'd tell at less than the drop of a hat, but there was one I'd always have to pry out of him with a crowbar, and even then I'd only heard it like 2-3 times in my life: his unit helped the prisoners liberate one of the (way too gods-damned many) Buchenwald(s). Only one remains standing, the main camp, out of over two dozen (slave labor camps, rather than outright death camps), and I had the chance to visit it in person while in Europe. When we saw that in the flyer for the tour, he did say that if I wanted to see it, that would be cool. If I didn't, that would be cool, and he would back me up. When we finally got there, omg, I had no idea how freaking HUGE it was...I finally declined and just stayed on the bus (which our guide allowed), reading a book. I didn't need to see it. :-/

Basically, long story short, they're both gone now, but I guess a nice short message on one plaque for the both would be: "They were proud to serve and help keep people free." :)

Uwk
  10. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

Sole purpose of the soldier, of the warrior, of the strong.
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yep. :)

Just like all the rest. :)

Uwk
  12. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I am so, so, sorry for your double loss, which was entirely preventable and entirely senseless. I do hope that the drunken driver is paying an appropriate penalty in a prison for his crime which is going to impact you for the rest of your life. I wish for you peace and love and I know that you feel your husband and son with you and you know that they love you and are with you all the time.

After I moved to the US with a corporation from Ireland and then they returned to Ireland and I got pouty face from my girls who were then teenagers and in HS and the pleading please we have friends do make us leave, and the wobbly lip and the tear from one eye, I stayed here, and became a prison guard, eventually moving to a death row guard at a maximum security facility. I was a yard gunner for 10 years and a death row guard for almost 11. I was diagnosed with Primary Progressive MS and when I felt that I could be a hazard to public safety, to the safety of my fellow officers, and to the safety of the inmates, I resigned and went on disability. So I know about the criminal mind and even a stint in prison will not make the person stop drinking and driving because he will not believe that more than 1 drink an hour will make him impaired.
  13. Mythical House Item Well-Known Member

I can definitely put the story in there for you, if you'd like, in a fancy book like plaque thingy. Thank you for sharing, and I'm sure it was something that brought back memories for him. It's amazingly kind of him to be agreeable to go, even if you didn't visit inside. It takes a certain kind of special for someone to help, protect, and sacrifice for others.
  14. Merriel Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I will not be able to join you for the stream as I will be at work, but my heart goes out to all our veterans.

My father retired from the USAF after 20 years of service, then spent another 13 years of service as a counselor in a military academy. He is now retired but his entire adult life (even in retirement) has been dedicated to serving our country, and I am very proud to be able to call Major John my father.

I also received news just recently that my niece has joined the Marine Corp, and I hope and pray for her safety during her military career. She had a particularly rough childhood prior to being adopted by my sister, so I hope being in the military gives her the stability she needs in her life.

My sympathy to those who have lost loved ones during their service to our country. Kim, my heart goes out to you for your double loss too, losing both your husband and your son and in such a tragic way. I think you are doing a fantastic job coping with your loss and it means a lot that you are honoring our veterans in this way.
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Amen, Merriel. :)

Crossing your fingers for your niece! May she go the way of her granddad! :D

Uwk
    Merriel, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Absolutely. :)

Thank you for giving us all this opportunity. :)

Uwk
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.