Weapon Delay

Discussion in 'Scouts' started by Teld, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Teld Member

Is it better to have a fast or slow weapon for primary and ranged? The last time I played, slow was the way to go. All the information I am finding on weapon delay seems to be 2010 and earlier.
    Suidakra likes this.
  2. Suidakra Active Member

Anyone? I am also unsure.
  3. Holyduke Member

The general rule is, you want a faster weapon as it will proc more then a slower weapon. The damage spread is the same.
  4. Bludd Well-Known Member

using spells and abilities dont block auto attack anymore so faster seems to be gooder (as per holyduke) but for ranged you use a lot of ammo so maybe get some ammo conservation mount items

or the big ammo pouch from valentines day merchant next time that rolls around
    Dude likes this.
  5. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

if so, then it turns out that slower (in the past faster?) isn't need? and in this case we have situation when this part of game mechanics is broken? because then slow (in the past fast?) isn't in demand. although not sure that this is so - there must be advantages for any of these variants (i still remember that this problem of choosing between slower and faster was haunting players a long time ago and in other games with similar combat mechanics). and if somewhat of game mechanics are broken, then this too requires urgent correction. saying that "faster weapon as it will proc more then a slower weapon" doesn't it contradict following "the damage spread is the same", which i understood in sense of "total" for period of time. impression is that mechanics of success of combat defeat for weapons with different speeds was broken before mentioned changes were made regarding effect of spells on constancy of auto attack. and after making changes, broken of mechanics acquired different property. so can anyone answer to question "have equal balance of advantages been preserved for use of both quick and slow weapons?"
  6. Holyduke Member

@Ra'Gruzgob
    Let me try to explain this way.

4 second weapon does 10-20 points of damage for an average of 15 points of damage every 4 seconds. 30 points of damage at 8 seconds (adding 2 hits for the total).

8 second weapon does 20-40 points of damage for an average of 30 points of damage every 8 seconds.

As you can see, the "faster" weapon will hit twice, but still yield the same amount of Damage as the 8 second weapon, but it needs to hit twice where the 8 second weapon just needs to hit once. Thus the same "Damage spread" as I called it

Some items or abilities proc on "a melee hit". So it is thought you will proc those abilities more with the 4 second weapon then a 6 or 8 second weapon. I have personally tested this but have only found one of my abilities hit with my auto attacks, Wrath of Vel'Arek. This ability does minor damage, but also procs immunity of Root, Daze, Fear, Stifle and Stun effects, and damage reduction. The key is to look for "On a Melee hit"

Now in the past, your auto attack would have to wait for your ability to finish casting. Thus some would like the longer delay weapon. This has been removed and auto attacks are no longer delayed by abilities being cast.

As anything else its your choice what weapon speed you want. You can also get an item that will change your weapon speed, its called "Four Second Delay Weapon Modifier"

What do you think is broken? What do you think needs fixed? Is it your feeling that because of a slight...very very slight advantage that a faster weapon might have means the longer delay weapon is broken? And, why do you think "there must be advantages for any of these variants". One could just be better then the other and that is the way it is.
  7. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

@Holyduke, thank you for answering me (at same time - for others), but what i wrote to you in response turned out to be too large in volume, so i changed my mind about publishing this (avoiding even more questions in future and appreciating time of likely reader). for Teld - my characters; and tanks, and mages, and support - for everyone, I prefer faster, both before changes that were mentioned here, and after them. that is, even when i switch weapons in battle, I switch again to fast but another. nevertheless, if happen any of my characters to pick up slow and, well, very good one - he will take it
    ed.: - "What do you think is broken?" @Holyduke, but brief - objective vision of some players (i also don't pretend to be objective) is broken. dominant personal preference. - "What do you think needs fixed?" - leave as is
  8. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

It may seem to be broken today, but who knows what can we expect in next expansion and/or GU? This kind of things changes from time to time and often it is preferable to keep multiple options even though some of the options seem better than the others.
    For instance you have found a nice weapon and you think it is the best that you can have. Only to find that you can have even better weapon because of weapon delay. And you played for months without knowing it. Isn't it a nice surprise?
    I think EQ2 motto is to give player so many different options that nobody can say what is the best way of developing character or using your skills and spells. We have enough games where everything is crystal clear from beginning till the end and in which thousands op people go the same beaten path again and again.