Watching Jazabelle Decorate

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Jazabelle, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

The following list contains various recordings of livestreams and videos I've done. They're arranged chronologically, and this list will be updated as I add more videos. Each date is a link to the video in question.

I have removed the How To videos, and moved them to the Layout Editor Bite Sized Tutorials thread.

I stream from http://www.hitbox.tv/Jazabelle when streaming live, and upload to http://www.YouTube.com/user/homesandtomes/videos for the completed streams. Currently, I cannot stream live as my internet is unable to handle the upload speeds needed for a good quality stream.

Video List:

2014-10-4: Sneak peek for the NotD maze 2014 built by Homes and Tomes, as I work on building the various rooms. No Super Sekrit info to help you navigate, though! The YouTube version (shown below) actually has the end bit that Twitch cut off... Twitch and I are not getting along.

2014-10-5: Fixing a room in the Gnome maze. Quick stream!

2014-10-6: Creating the first 4th floor maze room, and making lots of errors packing things!

2014-10-11: Replacing an item with another item using the layout editor--and forgetting to expand the house, so stopping before actually getting there! Jaz makes mistakes, too!

2014-10-11: Setting up Moonborne's New Halas guild hall, based off of Homes and Tomes' T1 guild hall.

2014-10-13: Starting the build for Battyrella's Belfryella. Uses the circle tool and rotate group around point features.

2014-11-7: Working on Battyrella's Belfryella. Date has part 1. Part 2 is here (since the video split in half due to lag).

2014-11-10: More Battyrella's Belfryella. Half an hour to build the floors!

2014-11-20: Working on the fireplace of Darkzephyr's Seaside Cottage.

2015-05-16: Moving the Cathedral from the Snowy Dwelling to the Secluded Sanctum. This uses the Group Point to Point Move and the Rotate Group Around Point functions.

2015-05-17: Using the Replace function to test out new materials in the Cathedral.

2015-05-17: Using the Replace function to finish swapping out the materials in the Cathedral.
  2. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

Updated with my stream for today. 3rd time's the charm, right?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Good luck! :)

Uwk
  4. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

And updated again, this time with the YouTube link (which includes the end bit that Twitch cut off). I also managed to get YouTube to embed in the post properly. Yay, YouTube! Boo, Twitch :( I'm sure eventually I'll force Twitch to work, but until then, it looks like I'll be posting mostly on YouTube.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

If anyone mutters about things not being interesting, you can always say you warned them...but I think this is what they had in mind: being able to watch you do stuff and get a visual/verbal tutorial at the same time, explaining what you're doing. ;->

And whack me in the back of the head and reboot my faulty memory: were you the poster that had the wonderful video on how to do the basic, simple editing moves (with Alt, Ctrl, Shift, and the mouse wheel)? Using, I believe, something like Baked Gingerbread blocks and wooden blocks in complimentary colors to make a dresser, then imbedded tankards for handles, to show new folks how easy it could be to do something cool? :)

If so, did that get into The Decorator's Resource? If not, it should've been! That's the basis for being able to do much of anything with decorating, and anyone can use it, even those that get spooked by math. ;->

Uwk
    Feldon and Jazabelle like this.
  6. Faeonara Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Jazabelle :) watching you do it while commenting on what is happening actually works well in concert with the guides on your blog to give me a much better idea of how to actually use the editor .
    With much repetition of the video I might even manage to build a from scratch house one of these years :p
  7. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

Very brave. I had a friend ask me to make her a sink and stove one time and she wanted to watch me make them. After about 30 minutes of watching me jump up and down and sit and do weird stuff she just laughed and left me alone. I was new to decorating so it was good she gave up watching...took me 4 hours.
  8. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

Nope, this is my first YouTube/decorating explanation video. (I had some videos with me building spiral staircases, but I didn't talk during them).

I think that was Vanesh or someone?
  9. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

2014-10-5: Added an 11 minute recording of fixing a room to be another. Thank goodness for YouTube.
  10. Rakuno Active Member

Sorry for the delay in replying (since I suggested to also explain what you were doing, I feel obliged to at least watch it too!)

Anyhoo, pretty good work there! Watching you decorate in-game may not be as instructive since other people can't see what and how are you moving stuff. But with these videos it is not only possible but we get some explanations at the same time!

Using a livestream to teach how to use the layout editor also sounds like a perfect idea. This way if someone misses it they can watch it at later time or rewatch a lesson if they had trouble getting it the first time.

P.S.: Now I am looking forward to your NotD maze! At the same time I am dreading it since I get lost so easily. Maybe I should make a Will to my guildies before heading in there, just in case... >_> <_<
  11. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

A will is an excellent idea. I haven't even finished decorating, and I'm already getting lost any time I have to venture more than a few rooms deep in the maze.

I finally found a streaming site whose livestream is actually in real time, so that should definitely help with teaching via streaming.
  12. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

When in doubt, do what I do for the NotD Hedge Maze and the McScroogle's Frostfell Future maze: get an overview map. Easy-peasy! :D

Uwk
    who detests having to go through a maze "horizontally," i.e., on the ground, but loves looking down (even up!) at one vertically ;->
  13. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

I actually drew the map before I began working on the maze. Unfortunately, it doesn't help me that much, because I always forget where I am in the maze, and a map doesn't help if you don't know where you are!
  14. Valzen Well-Known Member

Although I don't use layout editor, I highly commend your contributions and dedication to helping those who want to learn it. It's what community is all about. Well done.
  15. Kuerden New Member

You need to be sure to add the colorful comments you make in guild channels when something doesn't work - for general interest of course!... ;-)
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

And so we can pick up new and exciting curses? :D

Uwk
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I imagine it'd be even worse before you start decorating and customizing each area ("Now entering Gnome Maze Corridor #87; beware White Line Fever")...and there's no "overhead map" of your own house interior zone provided in-game! :-/

Hmm...I know we don't have Bread Crumb Tiles (more's the pity!), but how many different petal trail type tiles do we have?

Uwk
    Jazabelle likes this.
  18. Rotherian Well-Known Member

Thanks to this thread, I now have a new decorating paradigm. Everytime I get stuck, I'll step back and ponder, "W.W.J.D.?*"

* That stands for "What Would Jazabelle Do?" :D
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hopefully teach us new and exciting curses in the videos! :D

As well as awesome decorating tips, of course... ;->

Uwk
    HaphazardAllure likes this.
  20. Jazabelle Well-Known Member

Updated the top post to display things a little more clearly, as well as adding a new video that I did this morning. It's an entire 3 minutes, which ends when I realize I forgot to expand the house! I couldn't add more items. However, I'll be updating with the link to the actual item replacement video once I do it later today.

Here's the link for people who don't want to scroll through the top post to find the newest one:

As for maze confusion, I actually found it more difficult to navigate once I started adding in all the decor. This is because I didn't label my map very descriptively. Just things like "L1" for Lab 1, and no notes about what Lab 1 was supposed to look like... so then I had to figure out which lab I was in, and find it on the map.