Was my time wasted?

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by iamvegano, Jun 10, 2020.

1. iamvegano Active Member

If you look up "dumber than a rock" you will find a photo of me.

Somehow I thought being a woodworker I would be able to make boxes. I thought this would be fun. I am now level 93 in this tradeskill and decided to do some research since I have not seen any boxes pop up since starting. Do not ask me why this did not occur to me.

Now, I see Carpenters make the boxes. why are these two not the same?

Now what do I do? Do I start over as a carpenter? Uff!!!
    Kheldar and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  2. elflover Well-Known Member

If you havent done any specail tradeskill quests like prayer shawl or earring..then personally Id switch if its a big deal to you. But carpenter is different you make the storage boxes and housing items. I dont use storage boxes for my bank i just use backpacks (tailors make) . Or you can make another character and start a carp and keep going as a wood worker.
  3. Dude Well-Known Member

They are not the same because they produce two completely different types of items.

Start over if what you really want to do is make boxes, but you can also just make another toon. If you're going to get into crafting much, then you'll eventually want one of each anyway.

The wiki is a handy resource for most things. Here is the main article about crafting, which includes the different classes and what they make: https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Tradeskilling
  4. iamvegano Active Member

Thanks Dude

But don't I have to pay if I want a second toon? I have an all access account.. Also, I will have to level the too won't I? Or can I use my main to gather all the goods and give them to the other toon?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Dude like this.
  5. Dude Well-Known Member

If you are all-access, you are able to create more than one toon for free. I know that F2P accounts get two free character slots. I'm not sure how many you get for all access.

Yeah, you'll have to level the new toon, but you can absolutely use your higher level character to gather resources for the new character. If you don't have a house with a harvest depot, you can use your shared bank slots to transfer the resources.
  6. Leeroy 16 year vet. Forum lurker. Altaholic.

It's not like other games; you CAN just level the new toon's tradeskilling if you like. It makes it more difficult at high levels but it's not impossible. Also, it is much easier to raise the tradekill level if you do the questlines.
    https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Tradeskill_Timeline
    You should also be harvesting on that toon as you go. Once you get your tradeskill level to at least ONE (first quest in tradeskill timeline series), the following questline helps:
    https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/A_Gathering_Obsession_Timeline
  7. Zell Member

actually back in the day when it was SoE still if you purchased the upgrade from Bronze to Silver you got 4 free characters which did carry over to daybreak so when i started back i had 4 character slots. i now have all access but still was nice to have 4 for a month before i decided to really play EQ2 again.

as for your problem, im a one character player i have alts but there sol purpose is for making gear for that one character there all lvl 10/63 atm. my main is 55/120. if like me then yea i would definitely switch to the profession you want as it makes a difference in your mentality towards your character. however if you plan to have more then one character for adventuring then you can make one of them your preferred tradeskill as you will then play them often enough.

oddly i had a issue choosing which profession with which class my craziness demanded that each profession should match the class.

a berzerker who makes weapons
    a wizard who dose alchemy
    a troubadour who makes jewelry
    a monk who dose tailoring

although my main profession is armorsmith and my class is swashbuckler they don't match but that's do to the fact that those are both my fav of the lot.
  8. iamvegano Active Member

I like playing with just one character too.. but, I have now started the second one and moving along while harvesting along the way... the nature of the beast I suppose :)

I just need to remind myself 46 times that this one will be a carpenter.

Katz and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  9. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

looking at your race makes a lot more sense , because the different races have some extra talent for particular trade skills .
    and for all accesses you get an extra 4 character slots , so don't be shy make a family .
    get each a simple home so you get all broker slots and once your carpenter can make nice big sales crates you can have extra storage .
    Start tinkering , so you can make large personal harvest depots so all your crafters can get materials from it regardless of their level .
  10. Zell Member

yep, don't feel bad i just crushed 140 Rares into 140 uncommon lunar material to make the 4 sacrarium mount gear for the shadow prospecting to only get slapped in the face that they require 120 Adventure level and not 120 Tradeskill.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rosyposy like this.
  11. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have one character on each server who can make depots ! Hurrah ! Still have to go to the zone and harvest the rares myself, not going to pay those rates from broker.
  12. Geroblue Well-Known Member

I searched for 'character race tradeskill' and didn't find anything.

I can't think of anything else, what search phrase should I use ?

Thanks.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  13. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

14. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

that means that a gnome would be a little better as carpenter , alchemist or a weapon smith .
    But even that it's a little harder at least at the beginning , I have ended up with a good many Ratonga Provisioners.
    I's also a good idea like mentioned earlier to have your trade skill meat the needs of your toon or toons .
    A Priest and a Mage will need a sage for spells or a Scout or a Channeler will need a woodworker .
    You get the idea .

Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  15. Balcerak Well-Known Member

The only thing you could do is max out your wood thingy so you can get bonuses on your carpenter thingy. :)
    Dude, Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  16. Geroblue Well-Known Member

17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

If you have all-access, you can make up to 7 toons for free. My suggestion: wait 'til they have a sale on everything in the Marketplace, or at least Services, and you can get two more character slots for pretty cheap. That way you can have 9 on your favorite server, one for each tradeskill specialty. :)

You can also make up to 7 free toons on Public Test (which has its own advantages!), and 7 more free toons on either a US server or Thurgadin in the EU, whichever one would be "foreign" to your location. :)

EDIT: Yep, Services. ;->

And don't forget: ignorance is NOT stupidity; all it means is that you did not know. Now that you do, you're not ignorant any more! :D

Uwk
    who needs spreadsheets for the Horde ;->
    Whilhelmina, Geroblue, Dude and 2 others like this.