Warlock DPS / where is it at?

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-Morgain, May 23, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Morgain Guest

let me start, most my major spells are master, the rest are a3... my gear is fabled and legendary.

i been running groups the last few weeks adn no matter how i mash the buttons i always place 4th on the dps list. just about every group i ahve been in i cant place higher than 4th in dps.... even on big pulls with several encounters and dropping all my aoe and encounter attacks...

in groups with wizzard/zerker necrofurry adn a dirge the only one i out dps is the dirge,,, and she was 88 and has crap gear... and it wasn't like i was 4th place by just a little... the others had 2x or more my dps.... what am i doing wrong? it is my understanding that warlocks are the opposite or wizard, i know there is always balanncing issues, but,,,,is it me or does the lock need a massave dps boost to be comparable to a wizzy... even with an encounter that is ment for locks i cant out parse any one.... bruiser,minks,necro,illus,corcer,furry,warde all beet me by a ton....
  2. ARCHIVED-Araxes Guest

What's your spec?
    What's your typical casting order vs. single? vs. multiple?
    Have you checked out some of the casting order / efficiency threads at the warlock boards on eq2flames?

Try doing a re-spec of your Warlock and Shadows trees if you have recently upgraded to T9 Expert. I noticed there is a bug that if you spec'd when the expansion came out (as we all did), and then didn't respec after upgrading to T9 spells, some of the values are not calculating properly, until you reset your values and respec. While it would appear that your damage values go down on inspection, the behind-the-scenes things like resists and proper buff stacking may sometimes affect your overall output if they are not calculating properly due to a difference in stacking / removal of bonuses between T8 and T9.

Have you enervated your mythical? Same issue as above with T8 spells vs. T9. Not to mention the 1 second casting makes it able to switch on the fly in the middle of a battle which can help maximize situational DPS.

Ara
  3. ARCHIVED-Rotchi Guest

You are apperently doing something wrong, warlocks are t1 dps, and no other class should have the slightest chance to beat you on encounters. On single targets some classes will beat the warlock from time to time.
  4. ARCHIVED-Fendaria Guest

Morgain wrote:
    1) Not all legendary/fabled gear is created the same. A better test is to compare your crit/potency/crit bonus (and potentially spell cast/spell reuse). If your substantially under them, or they have their mythical and you don't, they will out DPS you.
    2) How does your AA stack up against theirs? AA can make a large difference. If you have a lot of AA, go read the warlock forums on eq2flames. There are some good posts about where to put your AAs. There is also a stickied thread on spell casting order.
    3) Is everything really, really easy you are fighting? Warlocks are slow casters with dots as some of their major spells, these don't work as well on sub 6 second fights where one gigantic nuke from a wizard blows away half the mobs HP.
    4)Do you run your own parser? If you don't, download it and run one. Not much is better for a parse than watching it live for zone after zone and seeing what works and what doesn't. Don't rely on someone else in the group parsing and posting.
    5) Wizards will generally out DPS a Warlock single target until very end raid content when Warlocks start to close the gap. Normally single target a Wiz will win, group target a Warlock should win.
    6) Check and get some adorments if you dont' have any yet. They are much better than they used to be.
    7) Don't go subtantially over 100% crit self buffed, its just not needed. Start dropping crit gear for potency and crit bonus gear.
    8) Understand your spells. (This goes with casting order). Compute the (max damage + dots) / (casting time + recovery time) for each of your spells. This is your basic DPS spell efficiency. Also compute it for your AE spells for different numbers of targets. This (and watching a live parser after each fight) will help you understand your spells better.

Overall, Warlocks do not need a DPS boost or anything like that now. They do excellent single target damage and the best AE damage. However, this wont overcome substantial AA or gear differences. If you have 100AA and they have 230+AA...they are going to beat you.

Also, I believe the devs stated they are working on 'heroic' and 'group' training dummies. Not sure when they are going live (maybe GU56 tomorrow?), but get one of these out and practice you AEs once they are out.

Fendaria