Warlock Broken Again?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Cleaner, May 3, 2015.

1. Priority Well-Known Member

Maybe it was a parse somebody cut early, but I was the only sin in the raid at that time. Only ones I have in ACT are him utterly destroying me at the end of RC : (
  2. Obilic New Member

I tried this experiment last week with my lock. If anyone can reproduce this let me know.

Throw up an Epic dummy in your guild hall.
    Grab a stopwatch.
    Remove enough gear to get your ability casting speed to as close to 0 as you can.
    Cast apoc 10 times.
    Record the times. They will be somewhere near 4 seconds.

Now start adding back your gear to get to 100 (or slightly over) ability casting speed.
    Cast apoc 10 times.
    Record the times. It should now be casting in 2 seconds.

Ramp up your ability casting speed to 195 or greater, staying under 200.
    Cast apoc 10 times.
    Record the times. Watch the cast time INCREASE to 2.5 seconds.
    I don't know what happens when you go over 200 ability cast speed, I couldn't get it that high.
  3. Koko Well-Known Member

I've seen a lot of quotes similar to this
    Which is upsetting, because the classes do not scale the same rate with equipment.
    An assassin and warlock play very differently at 1,000 vs. 3,000 crit bonus. Similarly, a they play very differently with 70+ doublecast/flurry. Warlocks simply scale better in current itemization, period.

Is the computer perfect warlock better than the computer perfect assassin? It is complicated. I can tell you that the simulation results are itemization dependent. I can also tell you that the warlock will beat the assassin past a certain great threshold. I cannot tell you were that threshold is (as it is influenced by group composition, stat distribution, fight duration, etc. etc.), but I can tell you it does exist.

Its existence is so obvious I'm startled that I have to bring attention to it at all. Focused Casting and doublecast are not exactly elusive.
  4. Anaogi Well-Known Member

I would be very interested myself in knowing what a "reasonable" damage output would be for mid-high heroic warlocks. I don't raid on my 'lock so a lot of the numbers I see thrown around may as well be talking about another game, and I'm fed up with chasing impossible numbers.

Yeah, that's my 'lock first up on my signature. Feel free to look him up on the EQ2U if you feel the need and let me know what on Norrath I've been doing wrong with this toon all [REDACTED] xpac to exult in managing 6 mil in the new Fabled zones.

Love the toon, but too many moving parts these days...
  5. Nubek Active Member

In the right hands Warlocks are a powerful class. They are also apparently quite hard to play judging by all the ****** ones I've grouped with. High skill ceiling, but high reward for those who know what they're doing :)
  6. Hammdaddy Active Member

lol.
  7. Arieste Well-Known Member

if you don't raid, 6m in heroic is probably respectable... although with the gear available in the new heroics being better than AoM original raid gear, you should be able to get higher if you're smart. Pay no attention to numbers like 100m, these are numbers for they very very very top end of what's possible in terms of gear and playskill.

Most raid warlocks outside maybe the Top 20 will be lucky to parse 20m in semi-respectable raid gear. But i'm no expert these days as I stopped playing mine a few months back in order to focus on my main. (I'll also gladly admit that i simply wasn't enjoying this expacs "right side only" playstyle of the lock as much as I had enjoyed the mix of both sides in the previous two expacs.
  8. Koko Well-Known Member

Again, inexperienced (no muscle memory, ambiguous encounter duration, and no cooldown vs. encounter optimization)
    Adv. solo/MC geared warlock, No brew of readiness/deity spells used.
    Yes that is mystical field, **** AEs.

Fabled Valdoon [Heroic] ZW
    [IMG]
    Fabled Court of Innovation [Heroic] ZW
    [IMG]
    Stowaways [Event Heroic] Oofgood Doof (first time playing warlock in zone)
    [IMG]
  9. Nubek Active Member

Looks like you're in a pretty crazy group though, VCs hitting for 10 million?
  10. Koko Well-Known Member

I play my warlock because I'm bored, see groups looking for a DPS as last slot for extended periods and decide their standards are low enough to put up with me. It is likely these groups are just composed of players that are online on off peak hours and are trying to make things work. If it were stacked, I wouldn't be playing warlock (less than 8 days played, most of which is mechanics testing).

14-20m ZW on warlock should be more than reasonable, while likely being on the low end (again, I'm a terrible warlock). For comparison, our experienced heroic warden/monk are in the 6-9m and in the 4-6m range respectively... and those groups are certainly not stacked, i.e. 1~2 players are < 5m ZW and don't buff at all (no truespirits, winds, captain's seal, etc..).
  11. Anaogi Well-Known Member

Koko, toon name? I get a third of that and something feels way off...
  12. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Koko claiming that he is a terrible warlock is pure ********. He is either humble or just setting the bar way to high. 20mil zonewide is something that I haven't yet seen on any class in any heroic zone. 14mil is reasonable if you get to stay alive, numbers above it in a heroic content in a normal PuG is rare.
    What he says about his gear is true tho, mostly just fabled adv solo gear.
  13. Koko Well-Known Member

Kokoda, displayed on ACT log.
    @Tharrakor I make mistakes omfg my mistakes oh gawd it is so bad. Rift/Apocalypse/Unda don't go off, my spacing in general is horrible (Rift, Cataclysm, Blast of Devastation & Unda especially, etc.), I temp at the wrong times because I don't know how long the encounter will/should last, I forget to use the myth click/focus casting during casts to abuse their "cast while other" mechanic, I don't "pre-trigger" potency/crit bonus passives through jousts through an instant cast/recov ability, etc. I'm honestly terrible, there is so much I could do better it... like sooooo much.

All of that comes from experience though. For example, I have virtually no idea on the visual range on acid storm/rift/cataclysm/blast of devastation... they're just "spells"..even less of an idea how all of that changes with a troub. If I played more often I'd know, but I don't. So while I know where I should stand, I don't know what that looks like or how to do it (kinda like I know how to play basket ball, but my oh my am I bad at that).
  14. Anaogi Well-Known Member

You also might have mentioned being nearly fully Grandmastered as opposed to the preponderance of Experts I'm stuck with...

o_O
  15. Koko Well-Known Member

Isn't everyone? :x
    They replace gear every few months, but spells are eternal.
  16. Anaogi Well-Known Member

How are people doing that? Drops? Harvesting 24/7? Loads of StationDaybreakCash?

So much for the balance not shifting to GMs & Ancients, sheesh...
  17. Nubek Active Member

Heh, I think it's cute that you define non-stacked groups as having 1~2 players below 5 million ZW. I frequently have to put up with groups where I'm the only player above 5 million ZW and there's healers doing 10k dps and wizards not even breaking 1 million. Good luck parsing 20 million ZW in those circumstances.
  18. Koko Well-Known Member

I define groups where at least one player cannot fulfill their recruited role non-stacked. e.g. if I had a group such including guilded warden/monk w/ PUG necromancer/brigand/dirge/swashy, and 50% of the recruited players did less damage than the heroic fighter that group is certainly not stacked.

That said, it is very unlikely to pull 20m in the situations you are describing. I did give a range to give some leeway to group composition and RNG, but that experience sounds awful. ='( This is another reason I play priest now, haha (little to no dependence on other players to do their job to accomplish yours >_>:;..)

*My ACT says the dirge was 5m+, my mistake! My previous post was a recollection of group chat
  19. Anaogi Well-Known Member

Yeebus! If Koko's perception of "normal" is any indication of how this game is being balanced, no wonder it's getting harder to keep up!

And I stand corrected, my 'lock is mostly mastered out. Still want to know how all those GMs are coming about, though I might want to take that to a new thread.
  20. Cleaner Active Member

THats nice parses for the gear you have, 40 second fight time on that named and Burst dmg results in high numbers like that i did 64mil ONCE on that fight because my Unda freaked out and did 90% of the dmg.
    i noticed acid is a little low on the parse, im thinking your prioritizing something over acid? but all and all its not bad parses for the gear restrictions.
    I have gotten a few pieces of gear as upgrades and what im noticing is the levels of dmg output seem to be based on reforge ability, or what stats you can reforge the most out of, i went back and reforged back in to some melee and droped my 70k ability mod down and did get a small increase, im thinking that might be something to look in the lower tiers of gear. Before i was getting almost nothing from going autoattack build so i went all Critbonus and Abilty Mod. Now it looks like those stats might be viable again.