Warfields (PVP Server Only)

Discussion in 'PVP Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Olihin, May 17, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Nuadaaaarrrhhhhhggg Guest

Schizophrenik@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    It's funny how you should mention "freeps" hehe :-D I absolutely agree: It is known by all now, that most of the freeps changed side to Q side, just in order to get more tokens faster.

You guys should make it so that when wf comes live, only this much numbers of each side can enter that specific "instance" of the zone. Like 50 Qs / 50 freeps. When this limit is reached, it opens up for another instance of that zone.
    Of course, this would do alot of things towards casual questers. Another idea is to make a CL / ANT without the WF, and one WITH. Just like you click on gates and select instances, you could then select warfield or "regular" CL / ANT.
  2. ARCHIVED-Nuadaaaarrrhhhhhggg Guest

Oh btw - would it be possible to get the "announcement" when WF goes "live" in the chatboxes as well? Makes it easier for ppl who had been afk, to actually see if its live or not. :)
  3. ARCHIVED-Anwynn Guest

Hallowell@Nagafen wrote:
    Yea part of that was my point..... everyone will end up in the same zone with exeption of a few people who just want the easy tokens by winning thier zone uncontested.
    Again I am no where close to knowing what it takes to program a game, but, I feel pretty safe in saying that restricting them to tiers instead of number of people would be easier to do. If you limit the number of players per zone you might end up with one zone filled with 90s while the opposing team is all 30s.
    All Sony has to do is.. run the WF every hour in each zone respectively. Limit each one to certain level ranges and rotate them. Example.....
    Antonica--- 30s-40s
    Commonlands--- 50s-60s
    The next hour...
    Antonica--- 70s-80s
    Commonlands--- 90s

Then just rotate them. Again you keep your 2hour rotation time for each tier and best of all you will solve MOST of the lag issues.
    The only other solution that comes to mind.. which is kind of a cool idea... would be to take the WF to more zones.
    Antonica/Commonlands---90's
    TS/Nek--- 30s
    EL/Zek--- 40s
    EF/Lava--- 50s
    Kos zones--- 60s
    EoF zones--- 70s
    Kp--- 80s

You could them come up with some kind of reward for when a side controles all the zones at the same time. Say a special vendor will spawn and allow them to buy special PvP gear or give you the ability to buy special pvp buffs or spells that are only active when your side controles all zones.
  4. ARCHIVED-Nuadaaaarrrhhhhhggg Guest

Good idea - the only problem is, that the ratio of Q vs FP is like 10:1 or such. With more and more FP's leaving to join the Q side every day... this should be fixed somehow, before it kills what is "left" of the pvp. I know alot whos thinking of just rolling on a pve server due to his =/
  5. ARCHIVED-Harbringer Doom Guest

Limiting the population in the zone. Of course that's your solution.
    Well, I hope you reduced the population limit of CL and Ant to 10, because that seems to be the limit for lag to hit your servers.
    Has the lower population limit of the zone been weighed with regard to the ability of the attacking force to actually succeed? Or has that not even been considered with this proposed "solution"?
    In other words, has it even crossed your mind whether an attacking force (of whatever size you've set the limit at, which you apparently don't want to share with us) can now even take down 5 towers, all 25 guards, in a half hour, while PvPing?
    Or do you think no one will notice as long as the lag is reduced to 3 seconds?
    I think its a safe bet that even the lower population limits will continue to result in horriffic lag around the towers. You must really have your fingers crossed on this one.
  6. ARCHIVED-alabama Guest

Olihin wrote:
    Here ill help you do your job for you. If you wanna fix open world pvp first fix the servers. Then disable all easy transportation. Then put heroic mobs back into open world zone that drop decent loot and masters so people will farm them. Then change the pvp gear so we are actually rewarded for the risk/reward of open world pvp compared to free token bg's. Problem solved.
  7. ARCHIVED-buffquinn Guest

MindFury wrote:
    Unfortunately there is a formula where you need to be standing in just the right place, at just the right time, casting the proper sequence of spells, while drinking a cold beverage and doing backflips. In all seriousness it doesn't make any sense. I have tried every conceivable thing from being there 10 mins before it starts to coming in at the end, to killing fps, to running around like mad, running circles around the towers, standing in the towers the whole time, etc. I only get tokens about 20% of the time, even when I do the same exact thing I did the last time and got tokens then. The new spell icon that is being added will at least show us if we are flagged, but I'd still like to know what needs to be done to get flagged in the first place.
  8. ARCHIVED-Anwynn Guest

buffquinn wrote:
    I have been running 2 accounts during wf's trying different things every time. So far I have it narrowed down to a couple of things that merrit further testing. I still think its the lag... when the rewards are given out if your lagging at that moment you dont get your reward.
    1) Your have to report in at more than one tower.
    2) Hail guardians at more than one tower.
    Earlier today I reported in at multiple towers with each toon. Each time I hailed each guardian. I then sat one toon at one tower and kept the other toon at another. Both recieved rewards. (Note there was almost no lag this morning).
    This after noon I did the same thing as above with one toon and parked another toon at the same tower only hailing the guardians. The toon that recieved the reward was the toon that reported in at multiple towers. The parked toon recieved nothing. (Note there was lag present, but, wasnt that bad).

Later this evening I am going to try the same as what I did early this morning and see if it works again.
  9. ARCHIVED-buffquinn Guest

I just finished a Warfield on Vox where we were defending Antonica. We won and only two people out of the 100+ in the zone said they got tokens for the win. That is with people running around every where, hailing statues, in and out of towers, killing freeeps, biting the heads off chickens, you name it people were doing it, and almost no one got tokens. Something is seriously messed up with the flagging. Running offense in CL I get tokens everytime, I guess because I can attack the statues which is an automatic flag, but almost never get any from defending Ant.
  10. ARCHIVED-Farr Guest

I want my damn tokens. You owe me 90!

edit: 105
  11. ARCHIVED-Anwynn Guest

Well I give up... I dont know what to do... came home from work and had time for one WF... logged both toons on... did exactly what I did early this morning when both toons got tokens and got nothing. Had about 10 kills was in the towers when the 5 min mark hit and several times after even kept hailing the guardians.
    I thought the issue was probably the lag, well tonight killed that idea cause I was getting minimal lag.

I'm sorry but there is a major flaw in this aspect of the game and frankly I give up on just about all of it.

I took off work for 3 days following the update, hoping to get some good play time in only to be nothing but disappointed and frustrated. What makes it worse is NOTHING is being done about it. We have to wait for the supposed fix with the over population, which is a joke. If this were on pve servers this would have been addressed the next day. I am sorry but I am really getting the impression that SoE doesnt give a crap about PvP servers or the overall game for that matter. I dont blame the dev's its probably a lack of any dedication to this game from SoE its self. I am willing to bet that Ohihin has probably gone to his boss with about 10 different idea on how to fix this. Each time they probably responded with "whats going to cost the less, take the least amount of time and the fewest amount of hours put in by other employees"?

Ohihin, the last expansion and the new update had me more exited about this game than I have been in years, but, all this frustration and lack of any "real" fixes is driving me away from the game. Its not just myself that feels this way I know several others that are just as frustrated. Hell tonights WF's should be a CLEAR sign that people are about to abandon the WF's all togeather. There was MINIMAL participation on both sides. I would send tells to people to see if they were going to join and NOBODY wanted to join.. most responces were "why should I waist my time"?
    Dude, I'm not bagging on you... again I am sure your working your tail off on this and I am sure there are other forces that are playing into this that we dont see, but, man you have got to rattle some cages on this and help us out here. I love this game but its becomming more and more frustrating that it is enjoyable.
  12. ARCHIVED-ysslik Guest

WFs by tier every hour does seems to be the best idea.I would like to hear the reason why this or anyother ideas cant be implemented.
  13. ARCHIVED-Bjerde Guest

Warfields by tier defeats the whole purpose of everyone rallying on either side to help win the battle. It is supposed to be a server event, not a tiered event. It would be much different if it were just by tier, may as well go do BGs if you want that.
  14. ARCHIVED-Knytta Guest

I agree that tiered warfields is a bad idea as the exiting thing with the warfields is that you need to have a balanced force from 30 - 90 both to defend and to attack so a tiered warfield would be a totally different beast.
    Personally I have done 5 warfields (as a Q)crashed 2 times (no tokens) and won twice (got tokens) and defended once and won (no tokens), I have got a lot of writ upgrades though.
    Maybe one idea would be to put the warfields in a totally empty instanced zone (like the one outside the T3 guildhalls) with no mobs except maybe the guards if that would reduce the lag.
    As for Q side being more people: Is it possilbe to have the system check the number of players on each side and just make the goal to win harder for the more powerful side or buff the defending side somehow? If huge difference in population you may have to cap the # on each side though.
  15. ARCHIVED-iggie2299 Guest

Zunnder@Nagafen wrote:
    Absolutely not. If this happened, we would no longer be in Open world PvP. We would be in BG's all over again. I agree that the lag needs to be addressed. But I think the very VERY first thing that should get some attention is the 'award' system for this 'event'. There has been absolutely ZERO confirmed instruction on how to ensure that you are participating in the actual event instead of just committing mass murder.
    Case in point, my last warfields of the night yesterday was in CL. I zoned in immediately after the event went live. I hailed the guards, went into and out of multiple towers, killed several players at each tower and was on the move nearly the entire time. With five minutes or so left on the event my wife logged in. I invited her to group and she zoned into commonlands just as the event ended. Guess which one got tokens and which one did not? To say that I was irritated is a mild statement.
    But please do NOT instance this event. Fix the reward system or, at the very LEAST, give us directions to actually be participating in the event vice just PvPing.
  16. ARCHIVED-Brigh Guest

I don't know why there isn't an NPC like during the seasonal events where there is a timer you can look at, then register (like the races in or outside the city), then you get the "flag" (quest), and when it is done you are rewarded.
  17. ARCHIVED-Teufell Guest

Brigh wrote:
    Remember the big zergfest at kp docks because of the writgiver?
    If there was to be such a npc it sure would be wise to put one in each city, to avoid that
  18. ARCHIVED-Teufell Guest

well just went into wf in ant which crashed... Guess the update didnt help that much. Must say i'm getting a bit ruffled by this.. Could you PLEASE do something about this... Tbh I'm tired of wasting time in wf getting no tokens...
    How about starting to give tokens out to the people that looses them until you have this under control olihin?
  19. ARCHIVED-zyllith Guest

As a casual PvP'er, this expansion was exactly what I needed to move from non-participant to semi-active; a very nice job done here, Ohlihin. You should be commended; you managed to "harness the zerg" to what to me is a very good effect. If it got me off the fence then it probably got others off the fence also, which means you have succeeded in re-invigorating PvP. People will flame you, people will flame me, I really hate being snaked out of tokens when the servers crash all the time, etc. etc. but bottom line is for me this is *a* *very* *good* *thing*.
    I can get tokens now even when I'm whacked in seconds, which means I'm not just a token factory and can eventually get gear which makes me viable for more than a few minutes -- that means I am encouraged to participate, not stay far away.
    Good gear is affordable, which means that given enough time and patience I can again be more than a token factory -- again, I'm encouraged to participate.
    I play on Vox where the crash rate is about 40% on Ant, less than 10% on CL. Tokens returned are still very rare in Ant but I am very confident that in another two weeks, once the bugs are worked out, Nag will be just as fun to play for me as Vox is now.
    Keep up this very good work, I am more than happy to get snaked out of tokens for the next two weeks and dropped every 2hr or so ...
    <EDITED>
    As a definite newcomer to this sort of thing but having participated in a number of the WF [crashes/ token snakes] here would be my suggestions:
    - There is a window during which you can get snaked out of tokens; the towers come online 15 min before the event, but the flag seems to activate at that time as well. The flag decays in 15 min and stops being granted 5 min before the end of the zone, so for defense there is a window during which you can be participating the whole time yet not get tokens: if you arrive for the zone 19 min before it ends (get the token at 19min, it expires at 4 minutes, you don't get renewed). There also seems to be about a 1-2 minute delay between a token renewal, which is a problem on the offense: a person gets the token at CL 16 min before the towers are online, the towers come online and usually last for about 2-3 min before they are destroyed and the person is not able to renew even though they are there. To fix both of these I would have the flag "gain" time for the toon when you're within a certain range of the tower and continue to decay as they do now. This is like the boss fight in Nektropos Castle, where you gain health when you're next to the machine fighting the named, but don't gain health when you move away. By allowing a toon to slowly replenish time as they are close to the tower you eliminate these windows
    - The flag doesn't appear to persist when a person dies (at least not all of the times I do), so even though you're defending/ attacking if you die even once it doesn't matter. A flag that would be persistent across death or linkdead, similar to zone lockout timers, would help with this and not penalize people who, well, get whacked while participating
    - There appears to be a zerg of 90's which sweep the CL towers in a few minutes; this makes all lower toons irrelevant and ends the event in a few minutes. One way to handle this would be to "mentor down" the damage from toons above 40th level to 40th level against the towers. Retain the guardian level, though -- this would allow there to be risk in attacking the guardian (it can oneshot you) to inhibit the massive rush and also let the towers last longer, giving the defenders more opportunity to pick off individual toons in the mass
    - I would put quite a few random, rapidly respawing mob's of various levels roaming around close to the tower, to give the toons something to worry about other than running in circles and AOE'ing everything. This would be similar to trash mob's around a named which need to be cleared prior to (and during) attacking. These mob's could aggro only specific levels or when attacked; one level group aggro'ing 90's, another 80's, 70's, etc. to keep the rushes off balance. It would also prevent the "run in an AOE" sort of attacks I see happening -- it's one thing to AOE in a crowd and hope you hit something, entirely another to AOE when there are mob's there which will also be aggro'ed. These would need to repop quite frequently, possibly in response to the number of toons in that area (10 90's will pop 5 mob's, 40 will pop 20, etc.)
  20. ARCHIVED-Khonann Guest

zyllith wrote:
    If the zones could handle the load I would agree very much so.. This has livened up PVP during and in between WG sessions... the problem is that even in between WG sessions, the lag is sometimes unplayable...