Wards are not absorbing any damage

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Jinksie, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Jinksie Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I play a Mystic and I've noticed today that my Wards are not being used very much at all and they are lasting their full duration. They should be absorbing the damage yet remain mostly untouched. Any other shamans notice that? This has been confirmed with another in game. I did not notice before yesterday, yet there's a chance this has been happening since the expansion came out. Any info on this is appreciated.

Thank you!
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

Some of the mobs.. and some abilities on some mobs, do appear to have 100% bleedthrough.
    Unfortunately the devs REMOVED bleedthrough information in the logs about 2 expacs ago, so it is, literally, impossible for us to collect hard data on it. And, since we don't have hard data, the general response as been 'no, that's not how it's working' and we can't definitively refute it.
    Additionally most if not all challenge mode zones have the guk strong buff, which increases bleedthrough by 10% for every mob engaged, including the first mob. And may encounter START with 10+ mobs, so even if there wasn't any bleedthrough to start, as soon as the linked set of mob and/or auto-aggroing set of mobs spawns, wards are 100% ineffective.

Until the devs are actually willing to give us information about things like actual bleedthrough in encounters and on various mob abilities all we can do is say 'this doesn't feel right'.. and experience has shown a decided disinclination to for them to change anything without the numbers the lack of logging makes it impossible for us to give them.
    Rebelde, Tkia, Breanna and 1 other person like this.
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Mermut, have you looked at the stand-alone Bleedthrugh Calculator tool at EQ2Interface? I'm curious as to whether it's helpful at all.
    Breanna likes this.
  4. Hdizzleh Member

Playing/maining a mystic myself, I too have noticed this. I solo healed heroics a few days back and nobody was dying so didn't think anything of it and had not looked at ACT. The other night, I grouped with a templar friend, and noticed my hps was way off compared to usual. I barely hit 30mill hps and hers were well over 150mill hps on the same fight (heroic mobs).

I've been raiding for a long time and I'm not usually concerned about parses as long as my group lives, however this caught my attention knowing that my stats were well above hers (several thousand more potency, 1k+ more CB, and over 100 more fervor). My few heals such as ancestral channeling, totemic protection were top of my heal parse, but this is not recent news as the past few xpacs with bleedthrough my limited heals were always on top.

Taking a closer look at spell timers I noticed my wards were not being used up and expiring. For example, casting my celestial-level group ward lands around 1.2 billion. By the time of expiration, it had only used 100-200mill of the ward with the rest untouched. Casting soul shackle, it landed on average around 700mill and again only 100mill or so was being used up. ACT reflected this, showing the amount warded and amount remaining. Even with the templar casting the bleedthrough reduction spell, it didnt seem to help..

To further support this, we had multiple people 1-shotted, each with more than enough HP and resolve to not get smashed it wards are active. Would love to see some kind of adjustment. I enjoy it being more difficult to be a warder these days and having to learn how to re-adjust play styles the past few xpacs, however it'd be nice if our wards would actually work this xpac!
    Poetic_Justice and Jinksie like this.
  5. Mermut Well-Known Member

I used to use it. Once they took the bleedthrough information out of the logs, it stopped working.
    I haven't tried it since then.
  6. Mermut Well-Known Member

Bleedthrough isn't something I'm fond of (I play a warden too) but ZERO information in the logs or on the mobs about bleedthrough makes it impossible for healers to figure out what is actually happening. Logging all damage done to the group ward as on the shaman also sucks for figure stuff out.
    Poetic_Justice, Rebelde and Daalilama like this.
  7. Fix Luclin New Member

theres not an actual bleedthru number posted but a huge amount of detriments that are hitting have portions of it that says the damage is harder than normal to mitigate as well as some that say somehthing like this can not be mitigated. These are the types of thigns wards will not work on. Im not sure if its a bleedthru system anymore. Just a simple yes or no to wards mob dependent. Some zones seem to require wards to avoid 1 shots and some dont. Especially T2 without a ward to absorb the initial hit even the trash will 1 shot everyone.
  8. Vanleeze New Member

How can you say that your wards are not working if you're able to solo heal heroics with nobody dying ? Not many healers are able to do that yet. Maybe this adjustment will help balance the healer classes because for years, we've only seen warders.
  9. Raff Well-Known Member

I can solo heal current heroics on my defiler. But it is difficult if the group has low dps or HP. We usually run a defiler / warden combo for guild groups in the new T1's. Has been working well.
    Poetic_Justice likes this.
  10. Vunder Well-Known Member

There is a post on discord explaining how wards are designed to ward on specific damage and you kinda have to figure it out on yoru own now. When it says "All damage" that clearly isn't correct. From the discord conversation, "all damage" is warding physical but not magical. In some situations my wards are experiencing no bleedthrough, in others I would wager its close to 90% bleedthrough.

It is all over the board. We run 2 healers just to be safe. I'm not giving myself a stroke trying to solo heal a zone with only 140k pot on my defiler.
  11. Mermut Well-Known Member

That's actually the crux of the problem.. not that there is bleedthrough, but that there is zero official information about how it works from mob to mob and art to art.
    Daalilama and Vunder like this.
  12. Raff Well-Known Member

We are running a defiler / warden duo as well for Heroics in the new xpac as well.

I have solo healed T1's on my defiler. But only with a high dps / high HP group. Couldn't manage it with lesser developed toons.
  13. Vunder Well-Known Member

I have not had the pleasure of doing a warden combo yet. I usually do with a channeler for powerfeed, he doesn't get to raid so we take him on heroics as much as we can, I have a soft spot for the class so...if he is I wont heal with mine. With the massive amount of dets, a channeler can now give you full power with each cure....super super helpful!! Plus their group interception just makes it easier...its' a given. AFK heals...ill take it.
  14. Daalilama Well-Known Member

And the final slap in the face of every healer rears its head. Sadly ironic that most of us long term healers were ridiculed back in ToT when Bleedthrough was brought in and we tried to warn where it would eventually end up....than back in during last xpac the healer/heals nerf hit us granted we were able to still compensate but it was starting to become tricky now this. BTW anyone who believes this type of issue will only remain on "select" mobs is kidding themselves.
    Jinksie and Mermut like this.
  15. Beyoncia Well-Known Member

Why do you need to know the numbers and specifics? Don't you cast and maintain your wards anyway? And use other abilities when needed?

Granted, I've never played another healer in the game, but I have zero issue solo-healing heroics as an inquisitor. I started doing it this expansion when I had 117k potency, I have 132k now. I do not have real wards, most of the time I just maintain my group reactive and circle between Divine Waters and Inquisition, which are my group hots. If it's not enough to keep everyone healthy I add other abilities. Surely it can't be much harder for the other classes, especially for those who have additional means besides direct healing as I do.
    Raff likes this.
  16. Hdizzleh Member

I've been solo healing the past several xpacs early on, and solo healing our main tank in raids.. Just because i have clean runs doesn't mean I didn't do it without my wards.. Most of us warders got good at learning to run mostly without them especially without them being able to stack now.. I work hard to get my toon up, and our group was very high dps with good hp. Now if players were below 200mill hp or we had lower dps, it would've been much messier i'm sure
  17. Jrox Well-Known Member

This may be of interest from Asterix in notes for patch:
  18. Acust Member

Biggest issue that comes to mind is that when a Chan can out heal parse and dps a Defiler by well over 1B there is really no balance.
    Rebelde likes this.
  19. Vunder Well-Known Member

heal parses are, for lack of a better work, stupid and idiotic. If you are not dead, heal parse is pointless. Heal parses are also bad because they prioritize the TYPE of heal. The only reason we even look at heal parse in raid is to make sure healers are curing and doing their job and not being carried. So if Jim Bob The Templar is healing 165m hps and Dippy Doe the Defiler is only pulling 43m hps....something is wrong and there needs to be a one on one talk with Dippy the Lazy.

Channelers have always been sold as the DPS priest, it is not our fault we have been broken for several Xpacs. I am happy doing 2 billion DPS in heroics as a priest. I don't bring buffs or utility so I may as well bring some pain!!!
    Jinksie and Exilya like this.
  20. Jinksie Well-Known Member

Absolutely! Whenever a guildie asks, did I do ok with heals? I reply - did your group stay alive? Yes? Then you were great. That's what matters in the bigger picture. I don't get that hung up about parsing. Just want to make sure my tools work as expected and if not, how to adjust to accommodate the change.