1. Claypool New Member

"Claypool has done a lot in his first 4 days in Norrath. He's helped pilgrims who seek legion in New Halas make it to safety, and was even offered residency in New Halas due to his helpfulness. He's slayed countless orcs, kobolds, goblins, and other creatures that no one should ever have to witness. Now, Claypool needs your help."

I have a few questions regarding the class I've chose. I've only started playing about 4 days ago, and I joined a very nice guild on the AB server. They have been more than willing to group with me and show me around the world. (Way to go, community. This has been a wonderful experience)

I've grouped with a conjurer and a warlock, both who completely blow my damage out of the water. Granted, they were mentored down to my level. Maybe it has something to do with them originally being a higher level--more abilities, AA's-- but I still feel useless only having 2 AE abilities. It seems to grind efficiently in this game you need to play an AE damage class. Even my heals have been useless, as no one in my group takes any damage. And if they do, they are able to self-heal back to full.

While trying to solo Crushbone Keep at level 30, I was unable to kill anything above a 3 monster pack. I constantly died.

Does Warden get any better? Am I strictly one who stands back and heals when necessary and buffs? Am I strictly one who deals single target damage when he gets bored and blows his 2 AE's off cooldown? Seems a little boring. Maybe it's because I'm not grouping with people my own level un-mentored?

Sorry for rambling... I guess my question is what should I play to make a solo journey more entertaining? Did I choose the right class but just not play it properly? Are the pre-made AA trees for solo/group/etc optimal? What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance,
    Claypool
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

Wardens are most effective as melee healers. They get max dps AND max healing if they're up on the mob smacking them on the back of the head with a stick. Wardens can spec to get heals from dps and dps from heals
  3. Carynn Well-Known Member

Yes, things get better after about level 40/50. When people mentor, they pretty much keep their current spell power and thus can flatten things. When you get to the Dragon/Prestige line in your AAs (late game), you will end up dominating things. During ToT (level 100 zone), I read this quote from a warden: "I can dance naked in the zone and still pwn it."

Soloing is hard, but don't be discouraged! If the heroic dungeons becomes a PITA, zip over to an outer zone you haven't done yet and quest there. There are so many quests to do under level 95, you won't run out.
  4. Bhayar Well-Known Member

Also, keep in mind that you are playing a healer class. You will never be on a damage output level of a pure dps class like mage, conjy, ranger, etc. Can you kill things--yes, but it will take longer. Warden has a lot of versatility and is fun to play. Consider getting a "mercenary" to aid you in areas where you need a little help.
  5. Claypool New Member

This is another thing that was discouraging. I bought the All Access pass for $15 monthly, yet I still have to pay 1500 game currency to recruit a merc? Am I doing something wrong?
  6. Alting is my life New Member

I don't have mercs yet myself but you do get 500 currency a month that you stay subbed so you can just save up & use those if you want.
  7. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Hire a "merc". Ask people in general or in RPLFG or guild chat if someone will work with you to quest, let them know you aren't looking to be powerleveled but you want company while you quest and help with the tougher mobs. Check all 3 chats for someone responding. If you also send me a PM to let me know when you usually play, I may be able to join you, depending on RL.
    Claypool likes this.
  8. Claypool New Member

The problem with this is that Daybreak wants 15 dollars worth of currency to allow my account to hire mercs. Kind of sad considering I already gave them $15 for All Access. Don't really know what All Access got me to be honest. Can't see a difference rather than the fact I can use the chat.

By the way, I did add you. I will message you when you get online. I play at very random times--I have no set schedule.

You've been a great help on my threads. Thank you.
  9. Dude Well-Known Member

If you intend to buy the PoP expansion, don't pay for the merc feature; it comes included with PoP.
    Finora likes this.
  10. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Hire a "merc" means not a NPC merc but a player merc. Some can be hired with just friendship... AB can be lonely at times. Even evil people can get lonely...
  11. Meneltel Well-Known Member

All access gets you game mail to send rather than just receive, you get to access and sell stuff on the broker, you can even use the broker and not have to be in town, you ride a little faster, get some more different bonuses (not big, but they add up over time) and other stuff.
    Finora likes this.
  12. Sogapa Active Member

If you want to solo heroics (crushbone or similar zone), you should upgrade your heals and make certain you are using your combat arts. Some zones hit harder than others, and were designed after some of the better gear was in. Some of the original content zones would be easier than the stuff added later.

In other words ruins of varsoon is probably easier than crushbone.

I see you are level 46 now, so you have moved on, but make sure you are using the combat art conversions- it does not automatically convert your spells to combat arts. You have to actually place the combat art on your hotbar if your hotbar was full when you received the combat art conversion.

The default AA specs generally are not ideal. You might really want to look at what you have and update based on needs and playstyle. For instance, if you are soloing, the enhanced mitigation from Warden of the Forest in Warden AA tree will help quite a bit (also nice in later game as there are a lot of trauma based aoes).

Like Bhayar said, warden is not a dps class, but if you want to solo and explore the world of Norrath, it's a great choice. End game, the class may be a challenge, especially if group members are under-geared.
  13. Dilon Active Member

Conjurers and Warlocks belong to the Mage archetype and their primary role is DPS (damage per second). A warden belongs to the Priest archetype and their primary role is healing. So even at even level with equal gear, assuming equally skilled players, a conjuror or warlock should always deal more damage than a warden. Add in the fact that they are mentored, which has the effect of scaling down abilities somewhat but still being overpowered compared to level, and it doesn't surprise me to hear that they are doing way more damage. In fact I would guess that it was orders of magnitude more damage output.

This would especially be true if your guildmates were at the level cap with current content gear on, because frankly the damage output goes up exponentially between levels 90 through 110. And when I say exponentially I'm talking, say, 100k DPS at level 90, 1mm DPS at 95, 50mm DPS at 100 with KA gear, 100mm DPS at 100 with PoP gear, and DPS in the high 100's or even billions at 110 with appropriate gear.

I've never played a Warden so I can't weigh in on if they get 'better' but if you tend to solo there may be other classes that are more tailored to your goals.