Wardens - who uses Protective Instinct and why?

Discussion in 'Priests' started by VivoDivo, Feb 26, 2018.

1. VivoDivo Member

I've not used this before so don't really understand the mechanics.

Seems like you have to:
    1. Try to time when you might need a big ward
    2. Cast Protective Instinct
    3. DPS like crazy for 10 secs
    5. Ward goes off and hopefully it's needed

Is this how it works? Is it better for raid situation or Heroic groups?

Thanks for any input on this.
  2. Earar Well-Known Member

I do use it now

you cast it first
    then as you say, cast some spells (10 seconds)

and then a part of your damage is made into ward. Protective instinct stays ready for up to 2/3 min. u can recast it anytime u want to use the ward (ward last around 20 sec). Or in the end it will cast itself. reuse after castig ward 30-40 sec ?

just be carefull not to cast it when stoneskin or DR or anything else, because then your PI will ward for nothing
  3. Mermut Well-Known Member

Last time I checked it, it was still capped at 1/3 of the druid's max health. Is that still the case?
  4. Ogdinmar Active Member

This is true, on 1/3 of the max health. We have a warden who uses it in my guild but I don't see doing all that much. Probably because 1/3 of 60 mil is on a 20mil point ward. Ive tried on my warden raid alt but I just do see the benefit over putting the points elsewhere.
  5. Mermut Well-Known Member

*nod* that's what I thought.. I don't use it either for that reason.
  6. Renamoriko New Member

Nope! The last time I was spec'd for it was ToT just to try it out but if you're playing at max level and current content, it's pretty much useless. As far as warding goes, there are way better options for wardens. Instead of Protective Instinct I have the points into Faith of the Fallen, which can be useful if you catch the right time to use it (my mind goes straight for the emergency heal instead of the ward if my tank is at low health, but it is still possible to use).
  7. Mermut Well-Known Member

Clearwater Current is a really strong ward these days. A warden can easily keep it up on 3 different toons... 4 if you don't mind not doing ANYTHING else ;)
  8. Earar Well-Known Member

my protective instinct is around 20 million usually (I have 60 million health solo - and yeah u need lots of HP for PI to be worth usig)

The recast is quite fast and it helps a bit. At first I wasn't keen on using it. Then one day I specced for it (because I could afford 20 points) and it has its uses.
    on fights like gearclaw, it's another help for the damage spike. In raids if u have no warder in you group, it can help the group survive.
    on parse it's 8% of my heals. first alway constant current and spirit of druidism (untamed if elemental)

and it gives one more stuff to do. I almost feel like a bard :D

I almost never see tanks at low health anymore. and since all heals can get them at 100% health. Faith of the fallen is less interesting for me. Right now it's wether u can heal or u can't. And tanks are not the hardest to heal (except disease raid trash)
  9. Renamoriko New Member

I currently have 45mil HP solo, so protective instinct would only be 15million max for me. With SoD, Constant currents, and ward of the untamed for elemental fights, Protective instinct doesn't seem worth using. If they removed the 1/3 of druid's max hp requirement, it would be more useful for every druid, especially in the absence of a shaman. But with protective instinct only doing 20 million, across 6 people, who should have 35+ million HP (on the very low end), and there's bleedthrough, the ward seems very minimal. I can understand every bit of ward no matter how small is helpful, but with HoTs and all of the other wards that wardens have, you have to weigh the pros vs. cons of taking the time to use it and what it does for the group compared to other warden abilities.
  10. Ogdinmar Active Member

Honestly, I think it would be great how it is IF, they number it creates is the base number and it would crit from there. And only have like 1000 CB effect it, only to keep if from getting out of control.
  11. Earar Well-Known Member

there's no cons using it.

it costs 20points. But not as if u had to spend those points somewhere else

[IMG] (2 wolves raid/ with inquisitor in group)

sure constant currents still heals for more
    sure SoD also. But in the end, PI heals more than my group HoTs ;)
  12. Clintsat Well-Known Member

[Fury]

I use protective instinct to cover the gaps between SoD procs. You want to maximize your health to make it worth while....requires some extra thought on gear choices.

I get over 27m in ward coverage because of health maximization.