Want to play a char w/ no magic or enhancements

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by BlueMistNuruodo, May 16, 2018.

1. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

Swashie is my favorite class. My main character is a halfling swashie. Sadly, they are not much in demand in PoP, so I am playing my raid inquisitor mostly, and working on a monk alt. Swashies have lots of AoEs, which are fun to throw at mobs. =)
    I can't comment on the "no magic" criteria you are setting for yourself, as it's not an aspect to which I pay attention. Challenges can be rewarding, though - in another game, I had a friend who played a mute character. He communicated with lots of gestures - quite a trick in a text-based MUD!
  2. BlueMistNuruodo New Member

I did end up making a halfling swashie. I am level six now. Character's name is Blueworm. If you see my character, say hello sometime to anyone who has helped me. Yes, I have been using stealth mode: kind of have to. It is a fun character so far. Thanks to everyone who has helped me!

Now if you want to troll, I am okay with it. I will keep looking on this page here and there to see if others continue a conversation. Perhaps others who want to play a no magic/lite-magic character might post here for help. Who knows?
    Rosyposy likes this.
  3. Meneltel Well-Known Member

What server are you on? So I know if I can look for you or not to at least offer advice.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  4. BlueMistNuruodo New Member

Atonia Bayle Server
    Rosyposy likes this.
  5. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm on that server also. You can /friend Meneltel if you wish, but I will say I'm not logged into the game that often or for long, but I often still check forums, so you can let me know here or in a conversation (option under Inbox) if you need advice or even some assistance with a boss or quest. Oh, and ill not cast any spells hehe
  6. BlueMistNuruodo New Member

Thank you. That is very kind of you! I will surely add you as a friend.
  7. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I beg to differ. Meneltel did do the PoP adventure skill line, she isn't a crafter so she did not do that line. She is in a small friendly guild and the ones I have met are quite nice. She does group with her guild and with friends.
    Rhodris and Rosyposy like this.
  8. BlueMistNuruodo New Member

PoP adventure?
  9. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

PoP is the most recent xpac, Planes of Prophecy - for levels 100 and up.
  10. BlueMistNuruodo New Member

ok, thx.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  11. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Eq1 warrior sums it up
  12. Flightrisk Well-Known Member

everyone is pushing the scouts , but of all the character classes that have no or very little magic usage , the first one that jumps to mind is the Guardian , its as close to a mud foot marine as this game gets .. has no magic use just buffs for protection , shielding ect.
    of the scouts Beast lord is simple to play(once you have all of your combat abilities ,it up grades pretty much as one level one upgrade) and all of a beast lords ability's are based on the tamed warders (animal helpers) ability's, all of them are grounded in the animals ability and in weapon usages , no "spells" to speak of . really if you look in the knowledge book on the spells tab, its empty .. even the spiritual abilities are grounded in the warders (animal) abilities and are all wards and heals ,power boosts and the like .
    Rosyposy likes this.
  13. Determind Active Member

Unfortunately, while some of the melee classes have "abilities" instead of "spells", they still use mana (or power) to fuel them. If you get into a power drain situation, you will still have issues firing off abilities.
  14. FalconClash Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think it was even possible to play a game like this without using magic. The entire game is centered around medieval/magic/fantasy, that's the whole point of it.
    Rhodris likes this.
  15. blackjack Well-Known Member

As much I welcome a new player to this old game, I just think that long-term you'll not be satisfied here. This game's setting is very high-magic fantasy; magic is woven into the storyline and is a part of every facet of the world. Gods walk among mortals, the dead rise again, powerful mages have vast influence, etc etc. Even if your character chooses not to use magical abilities, you cannot escape it in the world and every other player you meet will happily wield it in your presence. To say that it will be a challenge here is an understatement.

I noticed in your LFG thread that you're also seeking a faith-based guild, and friend, I've not seen one of those on EQ2 in many years. At least not on AB. I'd be surprised if one with a good sized membership still existed here in some pocket of the world.

I suggest perhaps looking at another game with a low-magic setting. There are a couple out there that come to mind that are far far more friendly to what you're wanting than EQ2, particularly if you're on Steam and have access to millions of titles easily.

All that said, if you remain here and on AB you can friend me if you like. I'm generally a pretty laid back person and I don't mind helping out other players where I can.

Good luck to you.
    Juraiya and Rosyposy like this.
  16. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Ahh... religious reasons. Ok. Well being only melee and fighting doesn't fall into that either. There should be a game where you wield bible verses at mobs. Just a thought... You could also visit christgaming.com
  17. Tx80i Member

does it really matter? Sounds like the character is going to be naked most the time with just auto attack
  18. Tabbyclouds Member

Whilst I won't get into the religious debate etc I would say that this game still has ever such a lot to offer even if you don't want to use magic.

Obviously, it depends on how many hours you want to put in and what you want to get out of it, but I spend quite a few hours a week playing on SH (with virtually no player base these days) and still thoroughly enjoy myself. The larger proportion of my time is spent on crafting, decorating and taking part in all of the festivals and special events that take place, very regularly.

I have a full set of 9 master crafters and most of them are mid lvl adventurers. Not really thought about it before as magic is fine to me, but they probably haven't used it much to get where they are. You could probably even play a mage class and abstain if you wanted by doing fetch and carry quests and finishing off collections if you were careful.

It's not how the majority play but if you enjoy the setting and a challenge it could make it more interesting and enjoyable than to some who just enjoy getting to the end game as quick as they can.
    Rosyposy likes this.