Voice chat observations in Win7

Discussion in 'Voice Chat Support' started by ARCHIVED-ranger55, Jul 31, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-ranger55 Guest

My wife has been having issues with voice chat lately on her Windows 7 system. I sat down with her system and did some testing. It would seem that one of the changes to the voice engine is to have it do some form of voice activation in the background to keep accidental PTT pushes from overriding the channel. I can see how this feature would be handy when someone keeps hitting CTRL for the dressing room when it is also bound to their PTT. However, it is causing problems for anyone who plays in a quiet environment and has a good, noise-canceling mic (like my wife). If I turn the mic up and talk very loudly (while pushing the PTT key), the voice stream kicks in and the group can hear my voice. If I pause for just a few milliseconds, the stream stops and my voice cuts out, then picks back up as it detects my voice again.
    Now for the fun part. It doesn't behave like this on the XP machine in her office. It's voice chat works like it always has. You push the key and the stream starts, broadcasting every little noise you make until you let off the key.
    I hope this helps track down one of the voice issues. Please reply if there is anything else you can think of that I should test.

DM - Everfrost
  2. ARCHIVED-Princess Ariel Guest

I am having the exact same issue and run windows 7. I have tried everything I can think of from uninstalling the game and reinstalling, removing my custom ui, verifying files, moving my mic to another usb port, changing out mic's for a new one, changing out my keyboard and nothing is resolving this issue. It sucks when you can't answer a question, or even in a group when someone ask's what you need and they have to wait for a typed answer. Please get this fixed quickly. Thank you Daisymay for post.
    Areil
  3. ARCHIVED-ranger55 Guest

Follow up... it still doesn't work right in Win7. I've even tried using a different sound card and get the same results. When you hold the PTT key, it does not open a voice stream until it detects a sound that is above some unspecified threshold. If someone with a soft voice (like my wife) tries to use the voice system, it will rarely initiate the voice stream, as her voice isn't loud enough. Even cranking everything to max (which sounds like crap) results in the voice cutting in and out as she tries to speak. Voice chat used to work fine on this system until they started screwing with it a few weeks ago. If anyone has any idea how to get around this lovely new "feature", please let me know.

Thanks,
    DM
  4. ARCHIVED-Wurm Guest

Also having this issue, since EOEmote was released, and wish it would be fixed.
    And OP, if you could change the thread title to reflect the problem, support might look at it.