Virus alert

Discussion in 'Community News' started by ARCHIVED-Shamonu, Nov 21, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Shamonu Guest

Hi guys :) Make sure your antivirus software is up - to - date. I've just been browsing a couple of EQ2 related sites (not Sony) and Bitdefenfender flagged up alerts. 'Exploit.html.codebase.exec'. I've posted to those sites to alert them. I won't name the sites, I think its only fair to let them sort it first.
  2. ARCHIVED-Hastur Bloodwake Guest

Isn't it a bit irresponsible to let us know that there are viruses out there, but to refuse to tell us which sites they are coming from? Why the hell do you give precedence over these sites, allowing them time to correct the problem, rather than us players who might, in the meantime, go there and get infected? Pretty stupid imo. Give the players a chance to protect themselves, list the sites. Then the players can avoid them till the problem gets fixed, a much more sensible and community spirited idea.
  3. ARCHIVED-Phenaum Guest

Actually, he DID give you the chance to protect yourself by warning you to update your DAT files. He didn't have to say anything, but he felt it was a good thing to mention it.
  4. ARCHIVED-Clicky Guest

It doesn't matter. While the sites are "correcting" themselves us viewers should have the chance not to go to a particular site while they are "correcting" the site. I just hope the site(s) are crappy and ones I wouldn't view.
  5. ARCHIVED-IBSomnifer Guest

yes please. Public safety first.
  6. ARCHIVED-ShadowLore Guest

Thanks for the info regarding the viruses. And a quick message to Hastur. Viruses like this can and a lot of the time are polymorphic, encrypting, and stealth. You can visit one website, pick up the virus, visit another website, and sometimes infect that site. It sometimes does not take long for nasty ones like that to infect entire systems around the world. For them to list the sites is counterproductive and wasted time. It could be hundreds.

This was a great post to make sure your virus defs are up to date, because many people only update defs once per week (highly discouraged...should be done daily...also include spyware scrubs to that too).

Please be less critical and judgemental in your posts.

Shadow
    Message Edited by ShadowLore on 11-24-2004 12:09 PM
    Message Edited by ShadowLore on 11-24-2004 12:09 PM
  7. ARCHIVED-GameAmpShaman Guest

judging from the name of the html file and the fact that he won't post the sites, looks like he was looking up EQ2 Exploits...
  8. ARCHIVED-Redmage420 Guest

Yes Sham thanks for the warning. I browse EQ 2 sites all the time so its nice to know sumone is willing to warn people about that. All the people spaming hit **** he is warning us about a virus out there and being nice enough to let us all know that somethin is out there. Weather he was lookin up exploits, cheats watever it dosnt matter that isnt what this post is about. Like the other guy said he could have just kept it to himself and then we all could have no idea about that. So instead of givin him hell about what sites or what he was lookin up i think a simple THANKS would have been enough.
  9. ARCHIVED-Caelendar Guest