VAT Tax being charged on every purchase

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Krue, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Krue New Member

I live in Canada, my banking is Canadian, why is DBG charging me a VAT "tax" on every purchase?

I never noticed until today, my fault, but this has been going on with my account for years now?

What gives? Figured I'd ask here first, before I go on the warpath.
  2. Thilka Member

Until recently, Canada wasn't collecting sales tax on digital purchases. This is no longer the case, so you're paying a sales tax on your sub and expansion purchases now. The same thing has happened in multiple countries worldwide over the last few years. It can be confusing if your country doesn't actually call their sales tax VAT, but a sales tax is what it is.
    Dude likes this.
  3. Krue New Member

I don't get charged taxes for Steam, Blizzard, EvE Online/CCP Discord, and various other online services I've used in 2020, or before. If the Federal government decides to tax services online, that do not have a physical business in Canada, it would be something new negotiated with the provinces, and I should be able to claim as credit/deductions on my taxes this year, which I'm not currently seeing available to me. Quick half ***** search shows me nothing, although there has been plenty of discussion of such a tax over the years. If the Federal government passed a law like that so sneaky recently, the provinces would be screaming bloody murder on lost tax revenue.

I've been charged this VAT tax on purchases far longer than recently, I just noticed recently.

If there is an actual Canadian tax law passed I'm unaware of, can you point me in the right direction please? Up until now it only applied to businesses with physical presence in Canada, which DBG/DP has none.