Variety of female clothing

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-msgnomer, Jan 6, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-msgnomer Guest

I generally love the variety of wearable items in this game, but there's one thing I haven't been able to track down - female dresses that don't expose most of the body in front below the waist, and often above the waist as well. Most all of them also force the female to be barefoot, which seems particularly silly for a winter Frostfell outfit. I think some of the outfits are lovely and suitable for parties, but even the crafting outfits are designed like this and that just doesn't seem quite right.
    Initially, I wondered if it was some way around a serious shortcoming of the graphics engine, a way to avoid some systematic clipping problems. However, I then realized that armor, pants, and caster robes aren't a problem, so why should dresses and skirts be. Still, I've yet to find an outfit without the open front design.
    If dressess or skirted outfits without the slits to the waist are in the game, could one or two of the be made a little more available? I've made a project of looking and haven't found any. If there aren't any unslitted dresses at all, could there be a few such options. Please!!!

p.s. The Festival's temporary Dragon Gi outfit looks great and very festive on my Barbarian gal.
  2. ARCHIVED-Sennyu Guest

basically the issue here lies in the fact that most of our armor is made up of a few base modles that have been recycled, reskined, recolored over and over with little more actually added other than spikes, sholders or other minor changes. I would love to see some all new stuff added
  3. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Formal dresses haven't been changed since the game first launched. They're just recolorings of an original game design. If you don't want your waist exposed, then you'll have to go with a robe or a basic dress (which there are dozens that players can make.)
  4. ARCHIVED-Froed2004 Guest

I think the issue actually stems from issues with the way cloth simulation is handled in the game. Those cuts in the front of the dress occur in every single model with long skirt-like features, and is probably a workaround to avoid the cloth simulator from glitching out like a spazzed crack monkey on a caffine binge. As for shoes... yeah, they could stand to add those, and I think THAT part comes from them probably programming the dress to override all the other armor appearance options and forgetting to ommit the shoes. That part is probably the most fixable.
  5. ARCHIVED-msgnomer Guest

Ah well, I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Definitely shoes or sandles would make the look more finished. Even dressy dresses with "tight's" underneath would help, like they do with the robes, to make it look more solid.
    I'll have to look some more, if there are really player made dresses without the slit to the waist in them. I missed those somehow.
    This bugged me when I played the game before, and was one of the things since my return that I noticed again, so I just had to comment.
    On the other hand, I've noticed some annoyances gone - like leaving the game after my character settles into her apartment, and returning booted out of the street even when the rent is paid up. That no longer happens, resulting in many happy and healthy Norrathians.
  6. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

7. ARCHIVED-msgnomer Guest

Cusashorn wrote:
    I think we are looking at different games! First off, every one of the outfits in that link shows the major dress slits that I was commenting on. Yes, I have looked at every common merchant, and spent a fair time looking on the broker, and I have yet to find a dress or skirted outfit that doesn't have naked legs to the waist! I see robes that have have what look like pantaloons underneath, but those are robes, not female dresses or skirted outfits.
    This is something I've tried to find for a very long time. I just decided to post now. Returning to the game, I see no end of cool objects, just zero choice in female dress style. Not the biggest deal in the game, but more meaningful to me than anything at all related to raids or max level characters, something I'll probably never advance to in EQ2.
  8. ARCHIVED-illaria Guest

I second your request

We need some more dress models

msgnomer wrote:
  9. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Ahh ok I misunderstood you. I thought you were complaining about how almost all the dresses show the bellybutton.
  10. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

I've never understoof why for the dresses they couldn't just do the same thign they do with robes, it might look a bit weird but heck they already look a bit weird anyways. Personally I don't mind the "bare foot" thing but that's just because all my characters are ratonga.
  11. ARCHIVED-Destructor646 Guest

Where to start...
    1) Yes, this game is in DESPERATE need of new armor/clothing models. There's what, two basic dress/robe designs in how many different colors now? We really, really need something new.
    2) The most 'bare' you can get yourself without resorting to the Forest Assassin clothing outfit recolor are the crafting faction clothes, oddly enough. The Ironforge Ceremonial Smithing Vest (Ironforge Exchange Merchant) leaves most of the chest area completely bare without revealing all like the Assassin outfit. Additionally, if you grab the Ironforge Negotiator Pantaloons from the same vendor, you'll be able to wear boots even though it's the traditional split pant thing we've seen reskinned for years. The flag for no boots must be turned off for that outfit alone somehow.
    One thing that this game has shown over the years - revealing skin pretty much at all is like taboo or something. All the armor available in the game is entirely practical, and not skin-revealing like you'd see in, well, every other MMO on the planet. Is that a good thing or not? Good question.
  12. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Rhakos@Guk wrote:
    No, practical is for real life. Who wants to wear ugly as hell armor in a game.
  13. ARCHIVED-Lorriana Guest

If I remember correctly, the "fancy imported dress" or whatever it is you get from the Licha delivery mission in Windstalker Village has the tights look under the slits. It's been forever since I had it on, so I may be remembering wrong. I'm about to head to bed, or I'd log in and check.

Edit: checked on wiki, and it looks like this has more of a robe appearance, which would explain the tights look.
  14. ARCHIVED-MurFalad Guest

Rhakos@Guk wrote:
    Well most other MMO's have gone down the route of either sexy outfits that are so unsubstantial that they would last <1 hour in real life, or outfits festooned with random bits of cloth/metal (certain asian MMO's have their plate wearers looking like they are the result of a multicar pileup) without any logical reason why each bit of metal/cloth should be there.
    That's why I think EQ2 does stand out as fairly unique amoung MMO's (or at least there are not many like it) where most of the armour/clothing looks like it could be worn practically by an adventurer. I'm not against them adding more sexy/elegant clothing choices now, but if they lose that look that they could actually be worn in real life then EQ2 would just merge into the rest of the MMO's out there (who already have multiple bikini/miniskirt/outright lingerie styles in place to compete with).
    I think that goes for male clothing too, Conan the barbarian went for a bit more realism with some good looking armour, whereas Conan the destroyer had the loincloth only look for the stero type barbarian which isn't exactly practical when temperatures are -5C.
    I put it down to a lack of imagination for other MMO's, they know what adolescent teenagers want and just give them those sorts of designs without creating anything original, or truly beautiful, those sorts of games seem to also be ones that people just play without thinking much about or putting much in too.
  15. ARCHIVED-DukeOccam Guest

Rhakos@Guk wrote:
    I think it is a good thing, at least when it comes to armor. It differentiates EQ2 from the rest of the pack, IMO, that its armor is somewhat realistic. If you want chainmail bikinis or whatever, then there are a bunch of games out there that will suit your needs. But I really like how EQ2 has stayed a bit more realistic.
    Now I'm not against new and different styles of non-armor stuff, like dresses and whatnot. And sure, with the appearance slot, people will just wear that out in the field. Oh well. At least we have the choice.
  16. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

MurFalad wrote:
    An assassin wearing eq2 chainmail which is more like crappy plate mail with chain joints is just as rediculous as a berserker wearing a loincloth so I don't see how eq2 is at all superior in that aspect. And unique doesn't always mean good, and uglyer than real life armor may be unique among MMOs but it's certainly not good.
  17. ARCHIVED-Morniel Guest

Cynical personal feelings after dealing with them on illusions:
    If people have been talking about this for a while, and it hasn't happened, it probably won't. Do I want it to? Yes. Very yes! But appearance items they can't charge people money for, just for the sake of new appearance items? Not likely.
  18. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Sharazhad@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    Giving up only guarantees failure.
  19. ARCHIVED-Morniel Guest

The 5th anniversary coming and going without any real updates to clothing tells me it's not a huge concern of theirs. Don't mistake this for lack of interest on my part--I would be delighted to be proven wrong.
  20. ARCHIVED-msgnomer Guest

To some degree, I'm going to have to eat my words in my first post. Looking through EQtrader, I've seen some wearables that I've never seen in the game on characters, on the broker, or on npc merchants. Still no dresses without slits, but there are are variety of outfits (cloth armor) with pantaloons.
    There are some colorful robes with panels covering the slits, but I've never much liked the style of the robes on the female characters. I am not sure why, since I like the robes in EQ. And, EQ2 has some nice colors and patterns. (edit - the robes look better on some races than on others, just like clothing styles in real life, I think!)
    I realize it's not so much the slits even, its the silliness of a fancy outfit and bare feet. That looks ok on some races such as Halflings (tough feet) and Fae (don't touch ground), and even nature loving elves. However for certain other races, it would seem more sensible to have at least a sandals graphic.
    Still, there's more variety possible than I've actually seen so far in the game.