Valbrand and Thalbrand

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by stilicho, Apr 4, 2018.

1. stilicho New Member

We've been attempting this fight for weeks now. We've managed to get it below 60% once, most fights end within 5%. On the 60% we had 2 groups dead after the first 10 seconds, and the remaining 2 kept on.

Incoming damage is insane and sustained. Sharp fangs hits for 60M + with forays into the 100M's. Are we hitting a fail condition? Sure feels like it.

We have a full raid force (>12 people as per the alleged fail condition)
    hit points are uniformly over 30 million, although the detect weakness says 20 million is plenty
    resolve on everyone is > 558 as per the detect weakness
    we don't hit them until they are both there, only use red spells, singular focus, no wards bane, no fury buffs, tanks have specced out of damage on their taunts.
    We keep them within 5% of each other, and alternate them. We've fought them on the ramp and on the ice.
    Also random death touches...

I can't see anything consistent except frequent raid explosions.

All the respeccing and spell removal seems excessive for a tier 1 raid mob. Have we just missed something fundamental (like the lever that takes it out of challenge mode)?

Help?
  2. Jhen Ro Active Member

Have a warder in every group. Not technically required, but you're going to struggle without it.

Sharp Fangs is the damaging AOE you are getting rocked by. Pretty sure it originates from Thangbrand.... Have everyone be 21m + away from Thang. Something like:

Tanks (NAMEDS) ----- Healers ----------Ranged

You can move melee'ers closer, but get in position and settled first.

Cure det's, they come faster and faster the longer the fight goes. Pretty sure keep power drained.

They memorize the health of the other as the fight goes, and heal up.

Keep them within 15% health of each other, or they go nuts. If they go nuts, you need mages to use Absorb Magic to remove the stacks they get to bring them back down.
  3. Alphonsus Well-Known Member

You said you have a full raid but that you're more than 12. To my understanding for every empty spot the raid mobs hit everyone else harder. So you'd be taking almost twice the damage with 12 people than if you were 24.
  4. Clintsat Well-Known Member

You should also have your raidforce be at 50m+ up if you don't have wardens.

Don't worry, in t2 you will see aoe of 100m+...
  5. stilicho New Member

there are defilers in 3/4 groups, 1 mystic, they are healing at 60 hps from the get go.
    advice to date has been to stand right behind them, we've also tried 9-14m as the detrimental seems to suggest but it makes zero difference. We'll try 24+m I guess.

the cryptic information from Gninja suggests that sharp fangs is a fail condition thing. If that's the case is everyone just ignoring the fact and just healing them to death or has someone found the magic button?

Is anyone else having this level of difficulty?
  6. semisus Does not play this game

Its really a matter if dispelling those increment that comes if 1 is more than 15% apart , gotta be done super fast
  7. Jhen Ro Active Member

21m+ away.

I tried to beat my head against the same wall, and all I got was 21m+ away, so we did that, again, and it worked better for us. AOE pulses for around 30m (before wards) then instead of the 60-100m+ pulse otherwise. Scouts go in, and they seem to evade some of the pulses outright.
  8. stilicho New Member

so tried the 21m+ away, over half the raid died on the pull, oddly those with less hit points often survived longer. Sometimes G1 and G2 would stay up for a short amount of time, but I don't think we got below 95% on any of 20+ pulls over 3 hours. We've done better when we just ignored any advice and tried to tank and spank it.

tried close to the mob, same thing.
    tried with mobs apart, tried them stacked.

The other odd thing is that everyone seems to have a different idea of how the fight works. I have people from raid guilds saying stand close, others say stand far, some say aoe's are fine, others say singular focus.

Must be missing something pretty fundamental but i'm pretty much at a loss at this point.
  9. Dannni Active Member

List the characters you guys normally raid with. Sounds like it’s probably youre going in undergeared or your healers are not playing their healers particularly well
  10. Corran Member

this fight does hit hard , when you say you split them but are you sure you pulled them far enough away from each other ? (try tanking one in each alchove right in the apex and 2 groups on each, generally the 2 groups are up each mobs backside for us ?) if gninja suggests its a fail condition and nothing else is working could be they are to close ?

either that or it sounds like what dannni said ^
  11. Corran Member

Am i right in saying your guild is Always Faithful of Skyfire

took a quick look at some of the members so im not sure who is a raider and who isnt but gear wise most have 29 resolve set but are missing

Planar HP Adorns \aITEM 1939659261 744309854:planar Adornment of Health\/a

Every little helps they are cheap as heck and they add 20% for the following slots Finger, Ear, Neck, Wrist so thats 160% extra HP to help mitigate that damage
  12. stilicho New Member

turns out the magic number was ~14 m from the dogs, who were stacked, on the ramp.
    no blues, no greens.
    some scouts went in later in the fight.
    53 mintues later ... 2 dead dogs.
    thanks for the help.
    Corran likes this.
  13. Kulkukissa New Member

Prewards, groups deathsaves shortly after pull. Pull the first and wait till the other gets to raid, if you are fast enough on killing the first trash, the dogs are not separated, if you wait for one round, they will be far apart. They will hit hard on incoming untill they are together and positioned, might be just frontals.

You can stack them together and keep the raid at melee range. Full AE dps. And, the more peeps die, the more times the other dog will revive.

edit: and dont let them go over 15% (?) apart, even when the other heals. Or especially then. That will give the failure condition.
  14. Chillispike Active Member

Yeah that is a bit annoying, even when you wait for a the next round the stay seperated. We let a necro or sk do a pull without raid to reset em, then they are together again.