Useful Crafting Skill for me

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-krc333, Mar 17, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-krc333 Guest

I have a lvl 74 monk and I just started getting into crafting because of a quest that required it. I was going to be a weaponsmith, but my server (blackburrow) seems to have plenty. I would like to specialize in an area that's actually going to serve a purpose to the community. Can anyone offer suggestions on what I should specialize in?
  2. ARCHIVED-Saevan Guest

I wouldn't worry about serving the community, think about what you want to do. The quickest way to stop your crafting is to be doing something you don't enjoy.
    So your choices to benefit yourself are:
    1. Provisioner, for food/drink and the new charms (chicken foot)
    2. Tailor, for leather armour - probabaly too late to benefit you directly
    3. Alchemist, for CA's and potions - too late for CA's perhaps, although if you get up high enough you can make your own adept 3's, but potions are handy
    4. Anything else your little heart desires - maybe something to benefit an alt?
    By now, probably all professions are going to have some people at the top, so your contribution will not make or break the economy. Having said that, any profession (arguably) can produce useful items, so do what you want to do and the community will benefit.
  3. ARCHIVED-krc333 Guest

Thanks for the feedback, and when I say community I could careless about the good of the community. What I meant was I want to be able to craft something that's in demand. I don't want to be crafting a bunch of stuff that nobody is going to buy or need. I would like to turn whatever I'm crafting into something useful. I'm guessing at the this point its really not going to matter because there's enough crafters on every specialty it's basically whomever has the lower prices is the winner.

Like you said I guess I'll just research each specialty and go with the one that I think is the best or will at least benefit me the most.

Silke Smooth 74 Monk
  4. ARCHIVED-Ohiv Guest

By this point in time there are several of every tradeskill on every server so like a previous poster said do something you enjoy. For example you could be a carpetender, and go into house decorating. :) Really there are alot of different choices but do something you realy enjoy. For example While leveling I did provisioning on my main and sage on an alt. The sage was done just to make spells for me, and i must tell you i Hated it everytime i went to level him. Granted it wasn't hard, then again tradeskills in general aren't hard, it's just that it wasn't much fun. My provisioner on the other hand i had more fun with. Granted i only make food for myself and sometimes i make a bit to throw on the broker, but considering how many provisioners are out there, and considering the small markups on food/drink and considering that said food lasts for 5 hours.. well you can see that there just isn't much of a market and that market is very slim on profit.
  5. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

You'll probably get the most benifit from being an alchemist. While potions are a minor bonus, they are still a bonus. Having them for practically free makes them worth the cost. Being able to make your own adept 3 spells when a new expansion rolls out is very good too.
    Sage levels the fastest, so if your doing it for quest purposes that is the way to go. However, provisioner can save you a ton of coin in the long run. It also means you can make yourself the best food possible. Downside is that it really isn't worth selling food due to low cost and undercutting. Woodworker is good due to a few utility totems that most players use, power totems on the top tier, ammo, and the occasional person that wants to buy a bow. Tailor is good for bags, and twinking mage alts plus possibly making yourself the occasional armor peice. In T8 you can make a Gi or two for your appearance slot. If you were an 80 tailor right now you'd probably make a full set of hidebound. The combat bonuses are nice.
    Honestly, whatever you decide will probably work out for you. Every craft has its thing.
  6. ARCHIVED-Mattax Guest

I have all 9 crafters.
    If you want a crafter who's goods sell, I would avoid weaponsmith, armourer and probably carpenter.
    The rest all sell a reasonable ammount of stuff if priced reasonably.
    Good luck with your decision.