Use the slider at 100%, love it; was Turning off combat and quest! xp, love it

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Levatino, Dec 15, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-ExtremeFajita Guest

I'm trying to create my own guide for Max AA progression as there are alot of factors to consider if you are trying to max out discovery, named, quest and eventually collections. So far from what I've gathered both alignments can do just about all the same quests except for Freeport/Qeynos, some of the outlying city zones and some parts of Kelethin for evil toons. Can good characters complete all the quests in DLW? I'm curious to know if anyone has managed to get all the disco xp in their opposite aligned city. Seems like at such a low level all the guards would see through invis or stealth and it just wouldn't be worth all the effort for a relatively small amount of AA.
    There is a great post (used to be sticky) that lists every disco xp location by zone in the Tips, Tricks forum and there is a listing of all the soloable instances in the Zones and Population forum. I've been searching for a good database that lists all the named (ideally searchable by level). Anyone found one? I'm compiling my own list as I go so eventually I hope to have a complete list sorted by level that I can post.
    A few questions. I should have tested these all out by now but I've been too busy:
    1.) Do named have to be level 10+ to give AA xp or will any level named give it as long as your own character is level 10+?
    2.) Are the book quests that I've heard mentioned obtainable only in the Mage guild in both Qeynos and Freeport or are there other locations where different ones are available?
    3.) Anyone know if the requisition quests that are dropped by mobs in Antonica and Commonlands give AA xp? I seem to remember doing one of these and not seeing the bar move at all.
  2. ARCHIVED-Ghouti Guest

ExtremeFajita wrote:
    1) i'm pretty sure they have to be lvl 10+
    2) nowadays they are all obtainable in both (so you can get the history books for all etc in Qeynos and Freeport)
    3) Yup yesterday i handed in a few from Commonlands and got AA, only first time though but believe that goes for every repeatable quest
    Also did DLW with my monk, you cant do the quests in Neriak, get disco in Neriak as all the guards are lvl 80 or summit but outside they are lvl 20 to 30 so get an alt to clear them they your free to walk around and get the quests. Commonlands has several quests you cant do as good and visa versa also CL has at least two quests you can get but cant hand in.
  3. ARCHIVED-Levatino Guest

Ghouti answered your questions already. A small addition on question 3, I find not all repeatable quests give aa. some handed by the factions in FP don't give aa others do. Must still find out why some didn't give aa, and yes did it for the first time.
  4. ARCHIVED-ExtremeFajita Guest

I have a Brigand who was going through Antonica quests and for one the turn in is to an NPC right at the NQ gates. If I sprinted past the guards and got the timing just right I could turn it in a split second before getting whacked by the guards. Was a fun minigame hehe.
  5. ARCHIVED-Nighrbringer Guest

ExtremeFajita wrote:
    LoL, I just finished that one. Started it before I betrayed to Queynos and have been finishing up all my Commonlands quests.
    Feels good just to play without worrying about levels or how fast other people advance. It is also nice to have the MC gear I took the time to harvest adn forge actually last a little while.
  6. ARCHIVED-sENADIN Guest

One thing about named mob.

I killed Thurmplate in CL and the mob even tho it was a name was grey to me. It didnt give me AAXP.

What i had to do was find someone lower level, mentor down and then i DID got the xp again. I guess i was actually lucky to see Thurmplate up about an hour apart.

As for DLW, i am from Qeynos and i was able to do pretty much all of them. Heck i even was able to flop my way past the main guard in Neriak and do a quest there as well.
    Not sure that i can say that i feel godlike with 39 AA now, but it does help and will probably help as i get the crit line of monk INT finished soon.

Honestly tho, i read folks at higher level need to mentor down because they rushed to the top only to find they need more AA's to raid and such. Sure it might take me a while longer to get there but when i do, it wont be by lack of AA's.
  7. ARCHIVED-Ghouti Guest

ExtremeFajita wrote:
    hehe i had the same little problem in commonlands at the freeport gate, i tried getting past the two guards a few time right in the middle and trying my feign death ... it only resulted in real death :D then i got mad got my lvl 80 SK and wacked those guards so i could get past, did the same at crossroads to get the orc L&L and quest inside the tower and in DLW to get past the bridge for example, works pretty well :p
  8. ARCHIVED-Levatino Guest

yes did that as well in antonica. the guard at the inn died a lot to my level 61 inquisitor
  9. ARCHIVED-Levatino Guest

small update
    level 26 now, with 57 aa.
    Reaver line full, 448 stamina and now 487 str line. am planning to go to 22 points in STR line after that I think I will go to the TSO lines.
  10. ARCHIVED-Tommara Guest

I kept combat experience turned off while leveling my main, but the ability to turn off quest and discovery experience didn't exist until after I was 80. I will soon run out of solo-able quests that I can do for AA - I doubt if I can reach 170 AA via solo-able quests, even though combat exp was turned off for most of my leveling. Nevertheless, I've got more AA than friends who were level 80 when my main was created (it really sucks for them that AA didn't even exist when they were leveling up - the devs should have brought them up to at least some assumed average AA for their level when AA was implemented.) I say for this for those who doubt the value of gaining AA vs. gaining levels. There are a lot of level 80's struggling to gain AA. My main will be ok, primarily because there are a lot of group-oriented AA that I haven't done yet.
    So my second toon is level 50. My guild needs someone of her class to reach 80, and so far, I'm the best bet. But I don't want to level her until she has enough AA so that I have a reasonable chance to get 200 AA eventually. That is, I don't want to **** her AA-wise by leveling too fast. Does anyone know of any benchmarks about how many AA is good enough before leveling?
    Edited note: I am very glad to see this thread. I was once shot down for suggesting that disabling leveling experience was useful at a time when the max AA was much lower than it is now.
  11. ARCHIVED-Rahatmattata Guest

I would say at a minimum 140AA at level 70. Probably more like 160+. And that's if you plan to do all the RoK quest lines including the heroic ones. If you are running out of content to do for AAs, don't forget about L&L and the book quests you buy from librarians. Like the history of races, etc. Don't put off quests because they are heroic either. Get a group, many can be done as duo or trio. Try Splitpaw as well, I'm pretty sure those quests and named give AA but not 100% sure. If you are really hard up, and I do mean really hard up, you can betray and there are a ton of quests to do. Then betray back and do a ton more. But to me, that's a toss up between just grinding out a few remainding AA at 80. And look at off the beaten path zones like Condemned Catacombs in Antonica and other funky old world instances noone ever does... I know there are quite a few in Zek.
    Some places I always hit up for AA (passed the T2 content) are heritage quests, DFC quests, Obelisk of Lost Souls access quests, halflings in EL, monks in PoF, Bloodlines, Nek Castle, Runnyeye, Forsaken City (Fallen Dynasty), Cazic-Thule has a ton of quests, and of course all the other dungeons for named mobs (Falllen Gate, RoV, CBK, PF, every KoS/EoF heroic dungeon & instance, etc.). Join every pickup raid I see to kill the old epic mobs from level 20+.
  12. ARCHIVED-Mytilma Guest

Levatino wrote:
    Hi there,
    I'm practically your duplicate, this thread inspired me to do the same on a new alt on a new server (to fight the urge to twink it). I'm at 59 AA, just started with level 27. Leveling slowly, I play this character only on 1-2 days per week. I'm at reaver, 448 INT (critting with practically every spell rocks) and 4881 STR. I'm unsure where to go after Avenger. Thought about shadows as well but now I'm practically sure I'll go either STA first or AGI, for Joust (I do a lot from horseback) and Trample.
  13. ARCHIVED-Levatino Guest

Jhandiira@Antonia Bayle wrote:
    hi, nice to read my thread inspired you.
    Was also thinking of STA line, cause of hammering ground. AGI am not sure off. have a dire bear not sure if this counts as "horse"
    I think i will have to look for pros and cons about the following steps.
    Am looking forward to how you will go, let me and others know.
  14. ARCHIVED-Mytilma Guest

Levatino wrote:
    Yea, I started back in December and used Christmas for a head start.
    I try to make my character selfsufficient. Therefor I leveled alchemy, which suits an SK very well, because I can make both my own spells/arts, and numerous potions for more HPs, heals, power regeneration and cures, of which I make often good use. I also leveled Tinkering for neat stuff like an additional chance to feign death, or the spring-loaded stilts. Trying to keep Alchemy 10 levels above SK, to get all potions right for the current tier. I'm a level 37 alchemist and have 140-ish skill in Tinkering.
    I don't join a guild, that would make me feel uneasy, because I'm not playing this character often and it's very solo-centered. Leeching from a guild's wealth but not being able to return anything for a long time is not for me. So I turned down all guild invites so far politely with the answer, that I am in a good guild on another server and this character is just for the times when I want to be alone.
    Since I want to live in Freeport for crafting and travelling convenience, that limits me to a 3-room house, all bigger homes require guild membership. Time to scrap that btw, now that guilds have new toys with their guild halls, may as well make the bigger houses accessible to us soloers. It's not like it would be hard to join one of the numerous guilds that invite me, get the goodies and leave, but as mentioned, that's not for me. Of course, for the same reason I can use only the +40% horse for 9pp, but that's fine with me, travelling in this game is easy.
  15. ARCHIVED-Slayinuu Guest

Lol, lots of SK's playing lol. I have a lvl 10 wizzy with 22 aa at the mo, hopefully will have about 30 by lvl 11, i know its over the lvl cap but then i can just pvp with no worry of gettin behind with aa ;)
  16. ARCHIVED-Thetmes Guest

This is what those of us on PvP servers have been doing in one form or anouther for a long time the only thing is now on PvP we are forced to lv no matter what. Yes we can turn off Quest and Combat xp but we earn xp from PvP so we lv no matter what. However your plan of gaining AA is very similar to what we do just to be competitive with other chars. The amount of AA a char has can ( and more often is ) the determining factor in a PvP fight ( one v one comparable skill/gear, nothing can be done for a nub that does not know how to play sorry if that upsets anyone lol )
  17. ARCHIVED-ExtremeFajita Guest

Has anyone noticed that some City Writs don't give AA or quest xp even if it is the first time completing it? I had my character locked at 14 so I could do all the 10-14 writs in addition to all the lower T2 quests/named. There were some Writs from Freeport that gave no AA so I turned my quest XP back on for a few other writs just to see if that was the problem. Some writs gave AA and quest xp and others didn't. Quest xp on or off didn't matter...some just don't give you anything except the status and faction.
  18. ARCHIVED-Mytilma Guest

I stopped to do writs for exactly that reason. I don't need the status (unguilded), I don't want the adventure xp (level locked), so if I don't get aa xp reliably, there's no point for me to invest the time. I do all book quests in my level range (except racial history - yet! Will start them soon), and I do heroics too when they're green.
  19. ARCHIVED-Thunndar316 Guest

My Guard is 67 with 81 AA Never locked, don't need to.
  20. ARCHIVED-Rahatmattata Guest

So... you have... what? 119 more AA to earn in 13 levels? Have fun with that.