US Server Downtime, Friday, November 22nd, 2013

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Nov 21, 2013.

1. RadarX Community Manager

The US EverQuest 2 Servers will come down on Friday, November 22nd at 7:00AM Pacific Time* for an update. The expected downtime is approximately one hour.

Update Notes will be posted in the Game Update Notes (Live) forum once they are available.

*Convert to local time
  2. Fixit Active Member

What is being updated now? We just had 5 "patches" since the 12th.
    Well I expected several "patches" this week. Wonder if we will break the current record of 9 in 12 days I counted several months ago. :rolleyes:
  3. Zephere New Member

The update notes are posted. Click the link in the message :)
    Feara likes this.
  4. Rygorn New Member

I believe that Fixit's statement was made with a hint of sarcasm and I agree. Worst for me is the updates always happen during my best window to play.
  5. Steelbeard New Member

well i guess there fixing the bugs that have been found,
  6. Wallberg New Member

I never played EQ2 back in the day but I played EQ 1 since the first week it was released. I attended the very first EQ party between devs and gamers at a public park in Santa Monica, Ca. It was free and they gave us EQ T-shirts. Ive been gaming online since 96'. Been at EQ2 here for almost three weeks and I can tell you that for a mature platform there are seemingly an exceeding amount of downtime for updates. This leads me to believe there is some sloppy "twenty-something" coding going on in the office. Clean it up, people.
  7. LordTiras Well-Known Member

Wallberg I think it just comes down to bad timing on your part. They *just* released a new expansion, and as with all expansions there are patches that follow. This was true in EQ1 as well. There were, a few times that I recall, patches that needed patches the same day as well as a more complete one the next! The main thing to compare against, though, is that in EQ1 they did patching on a very strict schedule and only did additional patches when they were necessary. This did mean at times that broken content would be broken for a week (or even longer!) before they released another patch to fix it. In this case, you're getting bug fixes as soon as they are run through the basic QA. While I'm not a fan of that method (I have a software QA background), it does mean that fixes to individual issues are live faster than if you use a set schedule.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  8. Wallberg New Member

Thanks for the interest LordTiras. My concern is that there is "too much" fixing of mistakes. It all boils down to the human factor. You know as well as I do, QA should have some QA, just like the rest of us who earn a living. Im not really too incensed about it as this is just a casual endeavor for me at the moment. Im only here because I cant play >:D.
  9. Vycktor New Member

Ya know, I thought all these bugs and what not were supposed to be fixed in beta... just saying. This happens EVERY xpac. Everyone goes into beta and goes nuts trying to get a jump on what's going on, and nothing gets fixed till after it goes live. Makes absolutely no sense to me. Either way, keep up the good work SOE.
  10. Warkronk New Member

I've played a lot of MMO's and, while I find the constant 9 am interruptions slightly annoying, I have to applaud EQ2 developers for staying on top of the probs and fixing them. I know one MMO that just lets problems fester for MONTHS. ROM in particular. I have to say that overall EQ2 has been the best experience I've had with an MMO and plan on sticking around despite the very minor annoyances.
  11. Feldon Well-Known Member

I will, once again, because I feel like a broken record, point to the Destiny of Velious expansion. There were major, showstopping bugs present for WEEKS after that expansion launched.

Tears of Veeshan had very minor bugs, and almost all of them have been fixed in the 10 days since launch. We're going into this weekend with really no major game issues with the expac, and people are having fun (once they learn the strats and how the new itemization works), gearing up and upgrading their equipment, and so forth. And they did it with 6 designers.

But please, go right on yelling about three 30 minute patches in a week.
  12. Ainaree Well-Known Member

As I eagerly await the patch that will fix the current shaman issues, it pleases me to see so many patches going out toward improving the game overall. I really have no complaint about game fixes coming in.
  13. Kaiona New Member

When I left EQ1 the updates lasted throughout the entire day. An hour 1 - 2 days a week isn't as bad as that. I'm happy that I can at least play on the same day as the update.
  14. Feara Well-Known Member

I just want to thank the EQ2 Team for all their hard work, thank you.

I and many others really appreciate the patches that update our game to be the very best it can be.

Please remember when some are cranky about the patches, well... it just goes to show how much they love the game. They just can't live without it.

Have a totally awesome weekend.

Have a beer on me :cool:.
  15. DeathbyDestiny New Member

Holy crap? Are people actually complaining about there being TOO MANY updates? I'm very thankful to get even 1 tiny update with how things are these days in the gaming industry. I'd give my freakin left nut for a developer to patch the sloppy rush jobs that they sell to people. It's like pulling teeth with most of them, but SOE on the other hand actually cares about their players and puts the work in to keep us playing.
  16. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

I er, have no nuts to proverbially give, but THIS sums my feelings up nicely! Thank you soe team for all your work!
  17. Vagar Member

Spoken like someone that either did not do anything in Beta for ToV or else only went there themselves to "get a jump on" the new content.

I myself submitted over 30 bug reports in beta and I kept track of them. Of those 30ish bugs I reported on, 26 of them were fixed. Of the ones that weren't fixed, it could easily be argued that it was just my opinion that something was wrong and they were not technically bugs. The Devs were very responsive to bug-fixes in beta, not just by fixing things but by being present on the beta forums replying to our problems, questions and concerns.

It all comes down to how many players are concerned enough to spend time to beta test things. There's not even a small fraction of the number of players in a beta test as there are on live servers. There's not enough people to find everything that gets found when content goes live. If you don't like how many patches there are after a major update, get yourself and your friends and your guilds to playtest in beta when it's available.
    Feldon and Freyja like this.