US Server Downtime December 10th, 2013

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RadarX Community Manager

The US EverQuest 2 Servers will come down on Tuesday, December 10th 7:00AM Pacific Time* for an update. The expected downtime is approximately one hour (Battlegrounds may be unavailable for a slightly longer period).

Update Notes will be posted in the Game Update Notes (Live) forum once they are available.

*Convert to local time
  2. Xyjyx Active Member

And yet no news on any BG changes?
  3. Frexspar New Member

I'm confused. The subject says December 9th, but the post says December 10th. Which is it?
  4. Kinya Active Member

RadarX why we don't have info about downtime for your EU servers and YOUR EU customers. Are we really 2nd class customers and we don't deserve to have that info from you?
    Dexella and Amnerys didn't have problems with posting downtimes for EU servers but this changed since you became EQ2 CM. Can we go back to times when EU players get info their also deserve?
    Poor Raga and Ragna like this.
  5. Luhai Active Member

What about EU servers?
  6. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

+1

Are EU servers going down with this patch too? Or are we playing the waiting and wondering game.
  7. RadarX Community Manager

Folks I'll have to admit I'm a little baffled as the title of this thread says US Server Downtime. A quick glance through the News forum should clearly show a number of EU Server Downtime threads. When I have a confirmation of anEU downtime, I will most certainly post it but when it has a US title, you can safely assume it does not impact your servers..
  8. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

9. Ahupu Well-Known Member

I know last weeks patch was a sucker punch but RadarX is not a dev he is the Community Manager. He gets a memo that says all US servers are coming down he posts the info. If they screw it up for you again then the people to get annoyed at are the button pressers who kept him in the dark as much as you were. Though apparently he is accepting that vitriol so good on you RadarX.
  10. RadarX Community Manager

Larger or significantly complex updates will go in tandem for a number of reasons (a primary one being we have people in the office in case something goes wrong) but you guys have no way of knowing this. What I can tell you is I will continue to do my best to ensure I communicate everyone's downtime as accurately as possible. The system I'm currently using is:

All Server Maintenance - Admittedly this hasn't been used yet but this would be maintenance on all servers.
    US Server Maintenance - This will have absolutely no impact on the EU servers.
    EU Server Maintenance - This will have no impact on US servers.

I'll verify the EU maintenance and we'll get that posted this morning. I would assume the normal 6 AM CET downtime.
    Tariya and Feara like this.
  11. Loric Member

Dear Radarx,

The reason people are asking about EU updates this time is because your forum post for the update on Dec 5th clearly said US servers, but actually Splitpaw came down at the same time (i.e. 3pm UK time, 4pm CET, 7am PST). I don't take issue with the idea that "larger or significantly complex updates will go in tandem..." but that is not what your post said.

There is a long history of forum posts about downtimes making errors with EU update times. Sometimes they say all servers, but that turns out to be just US. Sometimes they say US servers, but it turns out to be EU as well. I can also think of a recent occasion where the post stated an EU update time, but the time given was wrong (it was stated as 1am for the UK, but actually happened at 5am UK time). From a conversation I had with a GM around that time, it looked like the time posted was actually the time that the Russian servers were being updated. The GM later kindly corrected the message of the day on Splitpaw to the right time.

What we need is to be able to be confident that the posts made are accurate. At the same time, I'm sure everyone understands that you can only post the information that is supplied to you and of course, you do not personally schedule the downtime.

Perhaps it might help if, when you post about US servers but don't have the information regarding EU servers, you said something like "All US servers will come down at xyz. We will post details of EU downtimes in a separate thread as soon as we have them". That way, we know that you have thought about EU downtimes too, but don't have the info yet.

In addition, it would really help community relations if a post were made to explain and even to apologise after incidents like last Thursday 5th, where no post was made about EU downtime but it hit us during the day.
    Errrorr likes this.
  12. Teacherspest New Member

I'd like to add something to Loric's comment.

If I least, the server status windows was updated in real time, we could at least see what is up or down. If we're unable to fnd any reliable data in all the channels you use to broadcast your own informations, what are we supposed to do ?
  13. Deaby Member

EU servers down time is scheduled Thursday. It shows it on log in.
  14. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

This sums it up perfectly.

We aren't criticising or complaining about patches happening, just that when they happen unexpectedly.

If we are warned in advance that our server is 100% going down at 3pm for update, fine.
    If we are warned in advance that we recieve a patch the next day at 5am for update, fine.
    If we get warned all servers are going down at 3pm, and we dont get update till 5am, Not fine.
    If we get warned US servers are going down at 3pm, and no mention for EU servers, but they go down at 3pm anyway, Not fine.
  15. Ranga Active Member

Whilst we have some dialog on the subject, and taking last week's issue as a prime example, if we had accurate and timely MOTD on the EU servers, this would be far less of an issue than it currently is.
  16. RadarX Community Manager

Folks I'm going to close this as the thread has been effectively derailed and the maintenance over for 24 hours now. If you have a concern regarding EU downtime, please feel free to drop me a PM. I have no problem discussing it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.