US player trying to buy Expansion for UK friends

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-jeffkoz, Dec 7, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-jeffkoz Guest

Hello,
    After a lengthy wait for customer service last night, they were no help (which is not surprising - what is suprrising is no one wants my money).
    I am trying to find out how I can buy an AoD activation key for 2 UK friends. I actually logged on to their station account and tried to purchase, but it will not accept by US based credit card. I tried to purchase SC via paypal so they could buy it from the marketplace, but again my paypal account (and CC) were not able to be used.
    There must be SOME way for me to purchase this expansion for them - 3rd party site maybe that is UK based?
    Anyone with any reasonable, valid responses?

Thanks!
  2. ARCHIVED-Valonia Guest

Say hello to regional locks. It's what big corporations use to squeezes even more money out of certain regions like the EU. (although SoE improved alot in that regard! Still Kudos for that!) Those locks work extremely well for games that are not sold in stores, since the company itself can check your billing address against your credit card's.

With AoD not being available in stores I heavily doubt it'll be on other digital distribution sites either. You could try gifting them through the marketplace .. but then I think expansions only show up if you do not own them already, so that will probably not work either. One possible way would be using a new/dummy account and gift through that one, but only god (and SoE ;) knows if that'll work.
  3. ARCHIVED-digitalbandit Guest

4. ARCHIVED-jeffkoz Guest

Found solution...a UK site that allows one to purchase the expansion download and "gift" to someone. After some limited verification of my US payment method the order went through like a charm, my friends got the gift email with a link, and they are now playing with the new expansion