UPDATE: Custom UI Timeline

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Amalar The combined salt from all of SOE/DBGs fallen MMOs

Maybe it has something to do with the absurd amount of stats, inflated numbers, and number of CA's.

Seriously the stat inflation in this game is INSANE.

Last time I played (Might log in once a year but its been a while) went and auto attacked something, and found to have so many auto attacks, flurry, and procs go off is really excessive. People with over 100,000,000 HP, 100,000 potency, 1500% CC, crazy stat inflation.
    Bekkr and Cyrrena like this.
  2. kennii New Member

I absolutely agree with that maybe DBG should consider to rework there absurd amount of Stats, Damage Numbers, Damage Multiplers, Damage Procs, Healing Procs etc.
  3. Blaupunkt Active Member

I would have thought one of the biggest problems is the amount of damage/dps numbers the game has to calculate, I mean on live what are the top DPS classes doing, hundreds of millions or have they hit billions yet? then I would look at all the bots/automated things running about before I started disabling things like UI's and EQ2 maps!
  4. Velikovsky New Member

Eh folks were doing billions in Kunark Rising. My brig has a few parses on video up around 2.2bil during KA. While it surely has some impact on game performance its the aging engine/code itself and all the patches along the way. Also try pulling up w/e ui you use in the ui builder and look at all the calls they are making to the api. Multiply that times x players. It could easily add up to double digits of cycle use and database/api calls. At first I was upset about this too, but after talking with Dreamweaver I believe all of us can wait as long as needed in order to troubleshoot these issues before an expack and new server launch. I know that since playing Feb 03 that things happen. LU13, a few different GU's that no one liked. We endured. I'd much rather "suffer" loss of custom ui than the devs not be able to maintain the servers/engines by letting things go. Vanguard's last hurrah was a case of many things, but that was one of them.

So relax. It's happened before; it will happen again, and all this means is that our developers care about our game-play experience. Far as live testing vs beta/test servers. In this case its probably better not to work in a vacuum and instead do as they are doing currently. They will get a wider range of feedback/results, and most likely be able to identify and work on the issues this way.

What I would ask is that the devs enforce a stricter ruleset for ui's. And release the better version of the uibuilder that was rumored to exist. This along with possibly setting up a store and forward buffer between the live api and all the 3rd parties or eventually moving towards the direction feldon has mentioned DB/API wise would also help to keep players and 3rd parties from exasperating issues that have yet to even surface. Either that or the playerbase starts a gofundme for "optimization" of engine/db/api, etc.

Does the bugtracker page which people vote on still exist?
    Bekkr and Cyrrena like this.
  5. Dude Well-Known Member

It's there, but it doesn't have much purpose. It's just a fan site. The last time I bothered looking at it, it had been years since they showed anything as being fixed.
    Rhodris, Cyrrena, Feldon and 2 others like this.
  6. Blaupunkt Active Member

I have not played live for a long time to stat bloat and it being a bit crap IMO, I have also played since 2005 so I know some of the issues over the years, you say yourself the engine is old, I will say it was never designed to do what its being asked to do today regarding calculations it needs to make.

I thought EQ2 came out in Nov 04 but idk
    Cyrrena and Velikovsky like this.
  7. Velikovsky New Member

see my memory is pixelated due to meds. So ooops. I started the Feb after launch. Not sure why I thought it was 03 XD.

Consider that it was originally designed for a high frequency single core cpu with little to no gpu assistance. Then consider how the "shader 3.0 or was it 2.0?" went and was ultimately scrapped. So yea it's working hard. But to break it down in this post in this forum would not be appropriate.

just as a fun fact I'd love to know how many different people post lu13 have had there hands in the code.
    Snikkety, Cyrrena and Dude like this.
  8. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

I just removed it from my pinned tabs as it hasn't loaded properly for about 2 weeks.
    Xille and Breanna like this.
  9. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

more like 50 or 60b for top tier, maybe more. pot of top running raiders averaging about 100k-110k pot. not to mention all the little running stats in between.
  10. Mercychalice Well-Known Member

that's because folks did not like having to go to a second or third website to report a problem that could be mentioned just as easily here, and much more quickly. more folks would rather read the forums than click on external links to outside websites.
    Dude and Rhodris like this.
  11. Carynn Well-Known Member

I've always used the EQ2 UI and your health/mana/name bar should be in the top left hand corner on default. Unless you're talking about numbers over your head? Then that is Options > Advanced Settings > User Interface > Name and Chat Bubble > Show Health & Power for Self.
  12. Geroblue Well-Known Member

If this UI doesn't go back to what I can use soon, I'll just read a magazine. I've been outdoors. Its chilly out there.
    Rosyposy, Xevran and Cyrrena like this.
  13. draidean Well-Known Member

I'm with Feldon. It is not my job to sit down after a long day of work and spend my limited spare time...doing more work. For which I pay? I'm not complaining about the project itself, because they need to do their jobs (the actual people who are getting paid for it) and fix the problems, but neither do I think its fair to expect paying customers to do something that isn't fun and characterize them as selfish if they don't, and it certainly is not their responsibility or fault if it takes longer than some would like.

Maybe offer a -choice- of rewards to encourage people to help with the testing (the coins and potion they are giving obviously aren't doing it for everyone). Some DB cash, a month of playtime, potion of their choice, etc. and so on. Usually you need to offer someone something they actually want to make it worth their time (and, in this case, money) to work for you. Unless your best friend is moving or something and then you are kinda obliged to help...but you usually still at least get pizza and beer!

If they dig into something that makes my experience more of a chore than a pleasure, and I don't feel like volunteering at that time for that cause, then I will find something else to do, perhaps another of the games that I own, until they are finished. That doesn't make me a bad person.

Just my two cents.
    Feldon, Gillymann, Tkia and 4 others like this.
  14. Breanna Well-Known Member

You do have the option of not helping and continuing to play with all the lag. I would think since you pay for the pleasure of playing, you would want to help them fix problems so that your play time will be more enjoyable for you. But you can choose to opt out no one is forcing you or anyone else to help. Just don't complain any longer about the lag and that they aren't doing anything about it. They are trying to fix it and look at where potential problems could be. If the ui's aren't it then they'll move on to something else.
    Cyrrena and Rosyposy like this.
  15. draidean Well-Known Member

I am not complaining about the lag, nor (as I said) the process of fixing it. If the problems of the game ever outweigh the fun that I get from it, then I will stop playing. I also never said anyone was forcing me to do anything.
  16. Breanna Well-Known Member

Nothing directed at your personally just a comment from a lot of the post I've been reading. Seems they can't do anything to make everyone happy. People complain about the lag that the game is unplayable and that they aren't doing anything to fix it. Then when they do try different things to try to fix it the same people complain about that. The old expression you can't have your cake and eat it too comes to mind. Let them do their jobs and try to fix the problem to make the game great to play for everyone. I would think that people who really love the game would be happy to help, so their game playing would be enjoyable again.
    Cyrrena and Rosyposy like this.
  17. draidean Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with that. My objection is to the idea that everyone who is able (whatever that means) to help fix it "should", and that if you don't, you are selfish and it's your fault if it (a problem that isnt your fault or responsibility to begin with) takes longer.

I also offered a possible solution. I don't have a problem with lag myself, but I still might help if I was offered something I wanted.
    Feldon likes this.
  18. Xille Member

Been using EQ2Map almost as long as it's been around, and DarqUI the past five years or so. I definitely miss them, but life goes on. Been playing since launch and have endured far more annoying things than this. Such is life.

I'm not convinced this lag is UI-related, but best to rule it out and move on to the next suspect. My personal tinfoil hat theory is that there is a memory leak, someplace. The first time I stuck my head into Molten Throne: Hate's Essences, the game, which had been fine up to that point, became unplayable very, very quickly, and I had to shut the game down and restart. Hopefully they'll find the root cause to all these shenanigans soon rather than later.
    Cyrrena, Rosyposy and Breanna like this.
  19. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

^^ This. There has been a memory leak in EQ2 for years that has never been fixed - I've been around for long enough to remember all the feedback etc on it on the previous version of the forums.

Perhaps with the staff redundancies/layoffs and changes made by DBG, the devs or others have forgotten about it - or not realised because that institutional knowledge has now disappeared.
    Cyrrena, Gillymann, Tkia and 4 others like this.
  20. isest Active Member

Well the shut the census off , and that did not fix the lag, now they tried to do away with the custom UI's. I still have the same lag. I hope they can find it but the custom ui's no the census was what the problem was. I think the problem is the engine, and the fact we keep adding more and more for it to do. And now were adding 10 more levels and double the stats. That is a lot of number crunching. I tried playing this week and it felt like playing in the dark ages. I hope they can find the lag issues but the custom UI's is not the issue.
    Rosyposy likes this.