UPDATE: Custom UI Timeline

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Jovie Well-Known Member

Standard UI from the beginning of time and happy with it.

Add me to the list of people wanting true 4k UI adaptations.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  2. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

Actually.
    The client/server DOES log one to Character Select if the zone they stand in is INACTIVE for a period of time (30m I think).
    Note, inactive means no other people coming in/out/moving around.
    Typical that the uninformed attempt to draw attention away the real issue at hand,...
    Feldon, Mermut and Cyrrena like this.
  3. herem Member

Wait. As compensation for playing without UIs, they're giving us reset timer baubles? Which is what they want us to do... play MORE. That's nice... That's like saying sorry to make you clean the garage, but here's a nice new broom.

If you take away UIs and want me to play more... How about giving me a reason. Like double xp and an xp pot?
    Bishia, Geroblue and Tkia like this.
  4. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Well if the third party UIs are gone longer, those of you refusing to play have nobody to blame but yourselves. You are being selfish and inconsiderate to the rest of the community and owe those that are playing as normal and attempting to assist in this testing, a debt of gratitude.
    Blazen, Schmetterling and Breanna like this.
  5. Breanna Well-Known Member

Totally agree Cyrrena!!! Even though I am not a fan of the standard ui I am willing to suffer through a week if it will help them figure things out. The thing I will miss the most will be the maps of course. But yes those of you refusing to play may just prolong things, and make it even worse. Of course you will be extremely happy once they get the problem resolved but you're not willing to try and help well that's on you.
    Cyrrena and Schmetterling like this.
  6. Tkia Well-Known Member

If not doing something that is going to cause me physical discomfort and pain is being selfish, then yep, I'm selfish.
    draidean, Xevran, Svenone and 3 others like this.
  7. Prox Well-Known Member

My take on the whole UI thing , if you want to see if one of those is causing the lag . Take them out of use one at a time , see when and if the lag ends with a certain one. Just a random thought.
    Tkia, Cyrrena, Feldon and 3 others like this.
  8. Breanna Well-Known Member

Good thought :)
    Cyrrena and Schmetterling like this.
  9. Mermut Well-Known Member

The triple ethereal coins (for everybody) and an additional double all coins (for members) is during the no UI period.. I'm sure that's a reason for many people to play.

Some of the 'lost features' without UIs are quality of life changes... crafting window, broker window, watching selected stats, extra hot bars, etc.. others seriously affect game play (at least in raid and some heroic content).. the inablity to increase the size of non chat text, the loss of the ability to cast heals on anybody in the raid without swapping to target them in the raid window, spell watchers, heck.. even the maps affect gameplay in raids. If you're looking for a group or raid member you can find them on the mini-map without having to pan your camera and look for them amid the flying pixels of raid mob, spell effects and raid-mates.
    For some people those tools are more than just conveniences, they're the difference between be able to function and have fun and not. Sure many, if not most, of us CAN play (if not as easily or as efficiently) with the standard UI, but not everybody can. Those people who can't.. or for whom it would a real struggle aren't 'selfish' if they choose not to spend their 'fun time' on something that would be physically or mentally 'not fun' during that time.
    draidean, Cyrrena, Tkia and 4 others like this.
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

It's kinda harsh on raiders this time of year especially, because so many of the raid groups have lost members for the summer and are running shorthanded raids at best anyway. Then to have your tools cut off, ugh.
    Cyrrena, Hiza, Feldon and 1 other person like this.
  11. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

oh,.. but,.. are not the RAIDers always whining about "its no hard enough,...waaah, make it harder,..."
    so now, presented with an opportunity to be humbled, with an actual challenge,... and they wimp out;
    what.
    a.
    shock.:rolleyes:
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  12. Mermut Well-Known Member

So, if you're doing a building project and somebody takes away your power drill and you have to use a hand-powered screw driver.. is that really 'harder' or just take longer, more tedious and less efficient?
    Xevran, Cyrrena, Tkia and 3 others like this.
  13. Geroblue Well-Known Member

Hmmm... My one all access account goes to Oct 29. Not sure I'll log in after the 21st.

I need Darqui, the default UI just doesn't do it for me. My eyes certainly can use DarqUI over the default.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  14. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Typical
    I am selfish and inconsiderate, but I will say thanks if its fixed.
    Yes ;)
    Cyrrena and Geroblue like this.
  15. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

testing one at a time sounds like such a sensible idea Prox .
    Prox, Cyrrena, Geroblue and 1 other person like this.
  16. Feldon Well-Known Member

None of those.

It is the world/zone servers becoming overwhelmed and having a delayed (lagged) response to player input. The servers are too busy processing combat information, damage math, encounter scripts, etc. to efficiently handle everything going on, so everyone experiences 1/2 second, 1 second, or even 2 second delays between their inputs and seeing a result.

Improved server hardware with more RAM, larger caches, SSD drives, etc. would help, but that costs money.

Reducing the kind of Encounter and Spell design which triggers geometric multiplication of effects and damage output as everything interacts with everything else, compounding infinitely would help, but that seems unlikely too.

So they're turning off custom UIs in the belief that something is happening on people's clients which is causing the servers to get punch drunk and unresponsive. My understanding is, this hiding spot has already been checked, but I guess the EQ2 team feels it's worth another look.
    Gillymann, Prox, Quillyne and 7 others like this.
  17. Feldon Well-Known Member

This is a game, a source of entertainment which people pay for, not a non-profit organization raising money to cure cancer. Disabling custom UIs may not impact some people, but for others it makes the game much less enjoyable and even unpleasant to the point of not wanting to play at all. It is totally within people's prerogative to not play something which isn't fun.

For me, I cannot imagine playing with the default Broker window. It is tedious beyond belief to list items based on current prices of the same item. In the Profit/Drums/DarqUI Broker windows, this all happens in a single window in like 4 clicks. I experienced a time savings of at least 60% just with this one feature.
    draidean, Gillymann, Prox and 11 others like this.
  18. Songwind Member

I assume you are playing EQ2 on 486 Computer??
  19. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

hmm sounds like a good time to level up my trade skills .
    And maybe do some furniture pile ups .
    Cyrrena, Feldon and Breanna like this.
  20. Mermut Well-Known Member

Alas, without a custom UI, you can't see your recipe book and the item you're crafting at the same time, so you can't choose the next item until you completely finish the one you're crafting :p
    Quillyne, Xevran, Cyrrena and 4 others like this.