UPDATE: Custom UI Timeline

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Contessia Active Member

so maybe extend notd a bit ? I can dream right? i have no brain cells for remembering the maze, or where i am in,, dang it,,, i think i used to have a memory ,, i cant recall tho.
    GeniTracer and Cyrrena like this.
  2. Cathbad New Member

How bout DBG spend some overhead and update/replace the ancient servers ...just a thought
    Feldon likes this.
  3. Hartay Keeper of the Server Hamsters

How would that exactly help the lag investigation?
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  4. Balcerak Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I know why a different UI would affect lag for an entire raid/group. Doesn't the same info flow from server to client no matter which UI? Do they think the lag is due to that info overloading the client side since some UIs can 'do more' with the info? There are so many variables. I wonder if folks (especially raiders) just know how to optimize macros and such during fights, so they are sending more data to the server for it to decipher and it can't keep up. Seeing someone hit something with a sword and do straight 100 damage is a lot easier than deciphering all the bonuses from AA pts, double casting, and whatnot and the faster that has to be calculated the slower the response will be.
    Rosyposy and Cyrrena like this.
  5. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Set myself up to play anuther game for that week..I'm sure the vanilla UI is fine for some, but I think its pretty much garbage and wont use it, simple as that.
    Good luck on finding the lag issue, but I agree with others who think the lag issues are not being caused by it, just as they weren't by the census.
    At least this way it looks like yall are doing something.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  6. Roost New Member

Please look at updating your directx version. todays machines are mostly using windows 10 which is dx12 as well as video cards, but your game is still dx9.
  7. Balcerak Well-Known Member

I kinda doubt that would help other than for compatibility. EQ2 is a CPU intensive game, GPUs make little difference as long as they can render to the resolution you have chosen and pretty much all current GPUs and APUs do that. The cost of changing the engine to efficiently use GPUs is most likely prohibitive if not impossible due to the age and patching etc that has happened over the years.
    Rosyposy and Cyrrena like this.
  8. Louly Well-Known Member

I won't be logging in either. But another question - This is just temporary we will get the custom UI and maps back again?
    Rosyposy likes this.
  9. dreamweaver Well-Known Member

Correct, the plan is similar to Census. If there are no issues things will return as normal.
    Rosyposy, Cyrrena, Dude and 3 others like this.
  10. Louly Well-Known Member

Thank you! I was under the impression it was forever. I am so happy!
  11. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

yea Louly all this people painting doomsday totaly let people forget that it was mentioned at the beginning that this will only take about a week give or take .
  12. Vlkodlak Well-Known Member

I have to agree with many others that are voicing a strong opposition to turning off access to the third party UI's. Custom UI's are not new to EQ2 by any means, and have been around well before the lag started.

I find it disheartening that simple communication concerning what the Dev team is considering prior to these type of measures are taken and not forthcoming. It has been mentioned doing changes on test prior to live, removing the scanning software for bots, closing out the contested type zones, along with numerous other great suggestions from the players.

Unfortunately to shortsightedness little if any information concerning the lag will be nulled during this trial if a large majority of players are either not playing, or not playing to their usual capacity. What is there to be learned about lag if most of the game is empty?

Being realistic, the default UI for EQ2 is abysmal, this is no secret to the dev's or players. There has been no attempt or work from the dev's to update or modernize the default UI's since the Dev's were well aware of the vast amount of custom UI's that were far better.

Just my two cents, but again, I think the dev's are barking up the wrong tree, when the tree that should be looking hard at is in their own yard.
    Rosyposy and Pixistik like this.
  13. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

perhaps some clarity of terms might be useful, Dreamweaver?
    when the term "lag" is used, what exactly is this referring to:
    I. Frames Per Second(FPS) rendering of an environment. [Green numbers on Connection Stats window]
    II. Network Latency (delay) between client & server. [Yellow numbers on Connection Stats window]
    IIa. Network Latency between DBG Server A and DBG Server B, i.e. intranet latency. [unknown to EQ2 client, well known to DEVs]
    III. Network Bandwidth as in bits per second (bandwidth) between client & server. [Light Blue (cyan) numbers on Connection Stats window]

Item I is entirely client-side, having nothing to do with anything DBG servers do; reducing graphics quality and/or Rendering Distance would improve FPS client-side; or replacing one's video card with one with more "horse power."

Item II & III are quite complicated, as they involves EVERY network device and Operating System between client and server (e.g. customer's OS, customer's PC's nic, customer's network equipment, customer's ISP-provided equipment, customer's ISP's network, backbone used by ISP, DBG's ISP, DBG's network equipment)

While a book bound in solid LEAD may be difficult to move around and read, a Corinthian leather-bound book is much more comfortable and portable, neither would affect the text contained within. So how does a locally run user interface, that just READS what data is being provided by the EQ2 client have anything to do with "lag" that it needs to be disabled?

as a side comment, it is also interesting to watch those whom forget where they came from, being so prideful that any hint of just a User Interface change causes such self-imposed stress that they state they are going to [ Run Away,... Run Away,... :rolleyes:
  14. Flightrisk Well-Known Member

I have also used the default UI from my first day of play, at the time moving or adjusting things never occurred to me.
    Then the friend that introduced me to the game visited and saw my screen ..LOL .. he sat down and proceeded to change everything , then realized it was my machine and my account and started apologizing LOL . I wasn't in anyway upset as his setup made more sense , he also showed me by doing that how to make changes in the main options .. which also, at the time , had not occurred to me.
    default UI has changed a lot over the years bringing it more in line with a lot of the things offered on the custom UI's . before throwing a hissy .. take a minute to go into main options , the one with the little blue gear graphic off the eqII button, click in the advanced button in the upper right corner and take a look at the possibilitys . there are A LOT changes you can make there.
    also keep in mind this is only for a week , unless there's not enough player participation , which may extend what they have to do . I for one will be playing as losing my side by side broker window isn't a deal breaker for me .. who knows maybe that will be one of the next default UI changes upcoming .
    Cyrrena, Breanna and Juraiya like this.
  15. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

I don't raid and have only used the default UI from the start, so not worried about that. I am geographically challenged though, so the loss of EQ2Maps will be a challenge for me....
  16. OnlyMe Member

That's been fixed in standard UI for quite a while, just right click your raid window, and select advanced. You'll now see the detriments on each raid member, including curses, and click to cure works there too. No click to heal though unfortunately.

I use the default UI and have done for years (I did try profit once but it borked some stuff and I did not have the patience to sort it out). I do use a few addons (spell timers mostly) and i assume most will go, but for me I can and will play normally that week (assuming there are people online to play WITH o_O)

One big question, how will you enforce this, do i need to do something to reset default UI? A backup would be prudent, but will the patcher be pushing down a pristine version of all the standard UI XML over the top of my customisation, saving any customisation in a safe place, or what? My eq2 directory has been copied around and mashed about so often over the years as I assume other peoples have, it might be best to push down a whole new UI directory and use that for the week or 2 this is active.
    Cyrrena, Breanna and Schmetterling like this.
  17. Nutjob New Member

That is a misleading statement. It was mentioned that it will be determined after the first week if more time will be needed with the custom UI's being disabled. I would imagine that more time WILL be needed as a direct result of how many people won't be playing during that time not allowing the proper amount of data to be analyzed in a timely fashion. Yes, there are people 'painting doomsday' scenarios, but let's not try to get everybody's hopes up thinking this is only going to take a week either.
  18. Alarra Well-Known Member

A small note to those who say that UI's are not responsible for lag.
    As of around 3 weeks ago there was a server side change that caused Darqui's spell monitor element to cause large amounts of client lag.
    It dropped the framerate of machines running it to hideous rates. After the update to the Darqui spell monitor the lag was reduced significantly.

So "some" in zone lag could be attributed to the UI's client side processing.

The Zone loading lag would be all server side I reckon as it happens to all clients that are zoning to the same zone.

I would also wonder about the zone AI assets as well, but these are things that only they can see.
  19. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

Nutjob that's why I said a week give or take , and that's a lot more accurate than permanently disabled.
    But , I am glad you made that point totally clear .
    and thanks for the information OnlyMe
    Rosyposy, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  20. Pumpkin Member

I remember a long time ago lag being blamed on players staying logged into their apartments/houses. This forced the server to keep a separate instance of each house running causing a huge utilization issue.

IIRC, the answer was to kick the player out of the house if idle before logging them out.

With the large of amount of resources being used by decorators, I wonder if that part of gameplay is being looked at as a source of the lag?